Dynadot

WTF? - How does Name.com Have MY DOMAIN Listed Available To Register as a Premium Domain?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

deez007

The More I Learn The Less I "Know"Top Member
Impact
Hey Folks

Not sure if this has happened to any of you before but I have a domain that belongs to me. It's listed for sale on Sedo and Flippa for $2999.

Domain Name: Autoersatzteile.online

It's not listed anywhere else except for here on NP under "make an offer" :
https://www.namepros.com/threads/au...zteile-de-sold-for-48300.995208/#post-5951256

So now, I was poking around Name.com and I saw my domain listed there as a Premium domain, available to register for $3448.85 - My domain is also registered with Name.com - Whats plotting???

See screenshot:
screenshot_www_name_com_2017_01_20_19_55_06.jpg

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
What probably happened is the last person that owned the domain had listed it for sale. Name gets their premium listings from them I believe (name.com/support/articles/205188958-Selling-a-domain-through-Name-com?keyword=premium). That's likely why it's showing up. Although interestingly, WHOIS is showing your domain has BOTH CLIENT and SERVER transfer prohibited.

•••
You'll need to dig deeper, but I think it relates to your domain being listed with Sedo. My Sedo listed (for sale) domains also show up at Name.com. Name.com does partner with a few different marketplaces AFAIK. The price difference includes their markup. You might want to check with Name support to get a better picture of what's going on.

Last edited:
•••
What probably happened is the last person that owned the domain had listed it for sale. Name gets their premium listings from them I believe (name.com/support/articles/205188958-Selling-a-domain-through-Name-com?keyword=premium). That's likely why it's showing up. Although interestingly, WHOIS is showing your domain has BOTH CLIENT and SERVER transfer prohibited.

Thats very very odd... It was a hand reg and with no previous owners and it's on the standard 60 day transfer lock so that's prob why WHOIS shows transfers are prohibited

•••
You'll need to dig deeper, but I think it relates to your domain being listed with Sedo. My Sedo listed (for sale) domains also show up at Name.com. Name.com does partner with a few different marketplaces AFAIK. The price difference includes their markup. You might want to check with Name support to get a better picture of what's going on.

Thats what would have also assumed but the problem is that it's listed on sedo for $2999 but on Name.com premium its priced at $3488 .... that's why I'm baffled...

•••
Thats what would have also assumed but the problem is that it's listed on sedo for $2999 but on Name.com premium its priced at $3488 .... that's why I'm baffled...
I think they jack up the price for their "take". Which really does bring into question the legality of it all -- do they have the right to mark up the price of a domain you or I own? Seems there are other implications here too, like confusing potential buyers if they see substantially different prices at two or more "marketplaces."

If you contact Name, I'd really be interested to know what you find.

•••
Thats very very odd... It was a hand reg and with no previous owners and it's on the standard 60 day transfer lock so that's prob why WHOIS shows transfers are prohibited

What makes you say it was never registered before? It appears it was in fact registered in late 2015. And no, even within the 60 day time frame, it should only show client prohibited, not server. From ICANN: icann.org/epp#serverTransferProhibited 'It is an uncommon status that is usually enacted during legal or other disputes, at your request, or when a redemptionPeriod status is in place. This status may indicate an issue with your domain that needs to be addressed promptly. You should contact your registrar to request more information and resolve the issue.'

•••
Maybe you activate the sedomls premium.
Name.com is one of the reg' that sedo do promo with.

•••
Wooooah okay this is interesting...

I also own Grafikkarte.online and it's listed on Sedo for $3999 .. I see now that Name.com has it listed for $4598 as a premium.

So it looks like they are actually marking up the domains by like $500 more than my listed price on Sedo.com and selling them on their own marketplace. hmmm, very interesting...

•••
•••
Name.com take there money for that promo

•••
What makes you say it was never registered before? It appears it was in fact registered in late 2015. And no, even within the 60 day time frame, it should only show client prohibited, not server. From ICANN: icann.org/epp#serverTransferProhibited 'It is an uncommon status that is usually enacted during legal or other disputes, at your request, or when a redemptionPeriod status is in place. This status may indicate an issue with your domain that needs to be addressed promptly. You should contact your registrar to request more information and resolve the issue.'

Thats really weird I always check before I register if a domain was registered before or not....I'm sure when I could have sworn when I checked initially when I registered the domain it was not registered previously....but when I check now it shows u are correct, it was registered in 2015 as well... I definitely need to look into this and check what's plotting with their support team..

•••
Maybe you activate the sedomls premium.
Name.com is one of the reg' that sedo do promo with.

Yeah, that was my initial thought as well..then I doubled checked on Sedo to make sure it was not activated...

•••
Yeah, that was my initial thought as well..then I doubled checked on Sedo to make sure it was not activated...
Now I wonder if we're opted IN by default. I didn't realize MLS was a "thing" with Sedo. I have to check my listings there too.

•••
Now I wonder if we're opted IN by default. I didn't realize MLS was a "thing" with Sedo. I have to check my listings there too.

I always make sure I have MLS turned off, I don't like how much control it gives them over your domain. :)

•••

Ahh, bingo!.. the penny just dropped for me... the reason they show as transfer prohibited.. is because I have all my domains transfer locked in my Name.com account (I just need to unlock them when I'm selling them) That's why even Grafikkarte.online also has the same status. :)

Last edited:
•••
Ahh, bingo!.. the penny just dropped for me... the reason they show as transfer prohibited.. is because I have all my domains transfer locked in my Name.com account (I just need to unlock them when I'm selling them) That's why even Grafikkarte.online also has the same status. :)

Again, as I mentioned in my last post, SERVER transfer prohibited is rare and is not because the domains are locked from your account control panel. I have many names with Name.com, all of them are locked in the control panel, but none show SERVER transfer prohibited, they only show the regular CLIENT transfer prohibited.

•••
Again, as I mentioned in my last post, SERVER transfer prohibited is rare and is not because the domains are locked from your account control panel. I have many names with Name.com, all of them are locked in the control panel, but none show SERVER transfer prohibited, they only show the regular CLIENT transfer prohibited.

I was told to change nameservers on my domain to which I did now as well, it was on Name.com nameservers and I changed about an hour ago to SEDO nameserves.

The server and client lock is on all my domains whois, (63 domains that are with Name.com) Over the past 4 months, I have pushed 5 domains from my account to 5 different buyers name.com accounts without any hassle.

•••
The server and client lock is on all my domains whois, (63 domains that are with Name.com) Over the past 4 months, I have pushed 5 domains from my account to 5 different buyers name.com accounts without any hassle.

Weird, even ICANN says it's a rare status and I've never seen any of my names with it. Out of curiosity, did you ask them about that? And is that status on .com's that you have with them as well?

•••
Yeah, I don't think I was aware of that status.

•••
Weird, even ICANN says it's a rare status and I've never seen any of my names with it. Out of curiosity, did you ask them about that? And is that status on .com's that you have with them as well?

Hmm very wierd

Seems the .com's have:
Status
Domain Status:clientTransferProhibited

Which is my lock that I have on in my account....

but my non com;s have both client and server transfers prohibited...

I'm checking whats plotting with their support folks as well...maybe they can shed some light

•••
I have a blogpost few months ago researching prices of domains on Sedo, Whois, Namesilo - it seems more registrars take domains from Sedo and offer them as an option when you make a search for domain name.

In brief:

Domains on SEDO:

1031nyc.com – Price: $10,000

chicago1031.com – Price: $888

newyork1031exchange.com – Price: $388

1031usa.com – Make offer

usa1031.com – Make offer, min.offer $6,499

1031taxdeferredexchanges.com – $6,270

Domains above on Namesilo (when search for availability):

1031nyc.com – $10,200

chicago1031.com – $905

newyork1031exchange.com – $395

1031usa.com – n/a

usa1031.com – $4,985

1031taxdeferredexchanges.com – $6,395

Domains above on Whois.com (when search for availability):

1031nyc.com – n/a

chicago1031.com – $977

newyork1031exchange.com – $446

usa1031.com – $4,888

1031taxdeferredexchanges.com – $5,700

Domains above on Godaddy auctions:
1031nyc.com – n/a

chicago1031.com- min offer $577, BIN $888

newyork1031exchange.com – min offer $252, BIN $388

1031usa.com – n/a

usa1031.com- min offer $3,177, BIN $4,888

1031taxdeferredexchanges.com – BIN $6,840

•••
I have bin prices set at afternic, a few at sedo.
They are definitely jacking the asking price on my bin names from afternic listing.
.ca listed at sedo $649 is available at name.com for $746.35 not priced at afternic
Gemstar.net bin afternic is $650 at sedo is set $1100bin
Name.com it is showing $747.50 Whois.com shows price as $715 so they seem to be feeding off the afternic prices
It nice they show it as available for sale, but i guess any affiliate juice is not enough to satisfy their taste buds.
Thanks for digging this up

•••
On this month awstats of my blog there's a referral link from a domain market site that had my domain listed as a "deal of the day" but when I checked the site the domain was not listed on the site.

Last edited:
•••
Sedo has MLS, as do other aftermarket entities. If you have it activated it will be listed with all on their mls listings.

The price fluctuation is the other entity mark up, which is their cut if the sale originates on their platform.

My names are listed at sedo and afternic from time to time, and show up on places marked up, as well. It's free publicity. Enjoy it while they still offer it, IMO.

...gl

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back