Dynadot

advice Would you transfer the domain without payment received?

NameSilo
Watch

Would you transfer the domain before payment received? ($30 value)

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

ComFinders

888.移动 for saleEstablished Member
Impact
I'm a beginner in domaining (just started a year ago) and would need the experts advice in the following question: would you transfer the domain to the buyer without payment received first?

Details: I offered a couple of domains for sale here on NP for $30/each, payment via Paypal. I got an offer on one domain but the buyer wrote me that since I have zero NP domain sales history, he would like to receive the domain first and would only pay after (he has 5 positive NP feedbacks). I wrote him that I thought Paypal has quite a good buyer protection and in case he wouldn't get the domain he could get his money back easily but if I send the domain nothing protects me in case he won't pay. Then he wrote me that Paypal chargebacks are tricky and he still want to receive the domain first.

I don't know what to do and would need your advice. I personally don't have a good feeling about it. It's not a high value transaction - only $30 value, but I don't want to be scammed. What do you think?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
What is the buyers trade score on here? If good you should be fine if not get paid first. You normally get paid first anyway so the onus is on the seller...ie. You IMO.

•••
What is the buyers trade score on here? If good you should be fine if not get paid first. You normally get paid first anyway so the onus is on the seller...ie. You IMO.

His trade score is 5.00

•••
They wont want to mess up their trade score for the most part people on here are honest. No risk no gain. good luck with the sale :)

•••
I would not because I am established but if I were a newbie over $30. selling to an established sure why not.

•••
Being a $30 transaction and too small to go through escrow, someone is going to have to trust the other..
Since it is on NP the transaction is visible to the staff if anything did go South on the deal..
5 positive is not many feedbacks but at least it's not 5 neg.. I'd do it on a $30 deal..
I have had countless people trust me and pay even upper $xxx to $x,xxx through PayPal. Once you start selling you will build your name and will no longer have to be the one to do all the trusting ;)
Just know that if you don't have a good feeling about it you DO have the choice not to do it.
(I voted no because I just don't have to :) )

Last edited:
•••
I have certainly done this before .. 5+ feedback is borderline .. but it's only $30 it's prob fine.

If you're on the fence then I suggest looking at other factors like how long they've been on NamePros .. how many posts .. how many likes. Those things show how committed they are to the community .. the higher those numbers .. the less likely they are to risk doing a bad deal that could ultimately hurt their overall reputation.

Good luck with your deal! :)

•••
I only do this on a case by case basis depending on the person's feedback and account age.

Most of the time I don't need to because I usually have the older / trusted account compared to the other party in the transaction.

For $30 it's not a lot of money but if your gut says No then maybe listen if it's important to you.

•••
next time when you made new thread you could put up your pre condition such as :
- minimum namepros join date 1 year
- minimum rating review 25
etc

but if you do apply those precondition, you could loose some potential buyer :D

•••
If you can afford to lose the $30 then transfer the name first.
If not... then insist on payment first, which is how almost all domain transactions are conducted.
It is a red flag that the "buyer" wants the name before payment, especially since it's only $30 and they could easily file a PayPal chargeback if you didn't deliver the name after payment.

•••
Most of the time I don't need to because I usually have the older / trusted account compared to the other party in the transaction.

Bro, you were "born" on 2005 you were 3 years older than I
LOL

But in other side, i do have 450+ feedback score compared to your 85+ feedback score :D

Last edited:
•••
Silly over $30, but

Do this half up front, half after, so now you are both even.

Or you can post the domains for sale in this thread, and maybe someone here will pay more than $30

Last edited:
•••
Silly over $30, but

Do this half up front, half after, so now you are both even.

this would increase paypal fees, but i guess the difference only around 0.36$ :D

•••
don't worry yourself tryign to figure out who is trustworthy or calculate feedbacks ....... or consulting oracles about yoru feelings about the buyer etc........

whoever wants you to transfer before payment, tell them paypal offers them full protection for item not received (which since 2016 or 2017 now extends also to digital goods) so they have nothing to worry about if they pay you first... while at the same time reminding them (and yourself) you will lose yuor namepros account for fraud, if you do not deliver and if they do have to file that non received claim.

gl

Last edited:
•••
The buyer is protected by Paypal policy therefor no need for pushing domain before payment.

•••
I wouldn’t push it first but that’s me. They have the admin here, the entire forum and chargeback for recourse. Payment should always come first. Those that non trusting look suspicious themselves. Would you push a domain name to a real customer first? Heck no.

Last edited:
•••
I wouldn’t push it first but that’s me. They have the admin here, the entire forum and chargeback for recourse. Payment should always come first. Those that non trusting look suspicious themselves. Would you push a domain name to a real customer first?

right

but there is no need for chargebacks.
just file simlpe paypal not received claim
they support digital goods non received claims for 1-2 years now
it wasn't always so
but ti is so now.

cheers

•••
Noooo.... NOOOOOO!
giphy.gif

•••
you tell them like it is will !

lol

p.s. u shoudl also tell your buyer you will report them to moderator if they do not comply with rule. which is.. pay first.. get doamin second ;)

•••
I'd like to thank for all of you who contributed to this forum. After careful consideration I decided to accept the offer of the buyer. My reason is: $30 is a tiny amount to risk, he has 5 positive NP feedbacks and I'm curious how will it go. I'll report back to this forum about the result.

•••
I'd like to thank for all of you who contributed to this forum. After careful consideration I decided to accept the offer of the buyer. My reason is: $30 is a tiny amount to risk, he has 5 positive NP feedbacks and I'm curious how will it go. I'll report back to this forum about the result.

well.. your risking the domain
not the $30.

when you push you have no protection

whereas if they pay first, they have all the protection they need from pp

simple as that
never push first.

gl

•••
I have great news, I took the risk and transferred the $30 value domain to the buyer and he paid me in 5 minutes already. I already got a positive NP feedback from him (my first) so I'm very satisfied with this transaction.

•••
Congrats! I will tell you that out of the many deals I have done here (trade score is 92 but i have sold probably 1000 +\- domains here) 4 of them never paid.. However, they never got the domain either.. i believe all 4 are gone now..
never drop your guard ;)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back