Dynadot

discuss Would you bother responding?

NameSilo
Watch

DanSanchez

DomainSafe.comTop Member
Impact
Curious as to how you guys react to these type of shenanigans. I asked if he was interested in purchasing the domain after he inquired via DNS. Never gave a price...

KJxpWYu.png

Admittedly angry, I simply replied...

"Definitely, best of luck."

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I say I want $1,000,000 for the domain when I get lowball offers. That's if I even respond.

•••
I say I want $1,000,000 for the domain when I get lowball offers. That's if I even respond.
However, even the serious buyers start off with the lowball offers and, eventually, end up paying 10x to 20x of their initial offer. This doesn't happen quite often though:)

•••
What was your asking price? And what would you really take?

•••
mmmm I have my problem pff I have a friend who sometimes doesn't respond to my text messages. And it bothers me so much when she does that. I will ask her a question and there would be no reply. And then she will text me a question about school without responding to my texts. I will get anxiety and find it hard to concentrate thinking that she is somehow mad at me or upset with me or that she will not be my friend anymore. I was wondering if I'm being overly sensitive in this situation.

•••
He used some very soft language in his reply "really don't want to", "probably just register". Those are indications that he is not maxed out at $100.

On a mid XXXX name or higher, he is probably not a serious lead, but if you were looking for mid to high XXX, maybe you could get him there. If that was the case, you probably should have played it out a little longer.

Just my .02. Some times I will treat emails seriously just for practice even if I know we'll never get to a sale. On lowballers, sometimes the first response to something like this needs to challenge them a little. In car sales it goes something like "maybe this is just too much car for you" in domain sales it is more like "sounds like for the scope and size of your project, you should just hand register something more in line with your budget"

•••
in domain sales it is more like "sounds like for the scope and size of your project, you should just hand register something more in line with your budget"

Ooooh, I like that reply. Sounds caring and sharing while being slightly snarky at the same time!

•••
Don't take it personal. Just let him know your expectations and stick to your guns.

Never let emotion govern a negotiation.

•••
I believe that he just want to buy the domain from you for a low price. His reply is nothing compare to what I got once before. I contacted someone people about a domain name and he only replied with "SUCK IT!". Now that's an angry man.

•••
It all comes down to what the name is and how bad you want to sell it. I too received a $100 initial offer via DNS yesterday for one of my names. Normally I would at least respond out of courteousy, but the buyer felt like adding in the comments "WTF" and Why would I want to pay thousands for this????.. without even getting a reply or counter from either myself, a broker, or the system. I closed it without hesitation, simply out of disgust.

Your buyer at least seems stable and open to hearing your price, so it's worth at least responding. But name a price, it's only fair even if you're far apart since they at least put a number in.. leaving things open ended often goes nowhere. Initial offers, even if low, at times can have very little to do with the actual end selling price. Be fair, realistic, and see if you can find common ground. Good luck!

•••
Admittedly angry, I simply replied...
Why angrily, I don't get that kind of attitude, Buyers don't owe us anything.

If someone sends me a lowball offer - even $10 I just say something like:
Thank you for your offer. The BIN is xxx. Feel free co contact me when you can increase your budget.

Don't burn bridges, don't be a dick, give them a chance to contact you again in the future without looking like a liar.

And don't take it so personally - if I only have $100 to spend then I only have $100 to spend. And that's that. Why be mad at me about it?

•••
mmmm I have my problem pff I have a friend who sometimes doesn't respond to my text messages. And it bothers me so much when she does that. I will ask her a question and there would be no reply. And then she will text me a question about school without responding to my texts. I will get anxiety and find it hard to concentrate thinking that she is somehow mad at me or upset with me or that she will not be my friend anymore. I was wondering if I'm being overly sensitive in this situation.
She is playing games with you. Moreover, she's not much into you.

•••
Reply and educate, some people assume that because a name is under 10 bucks to register you will be excited to sell it for 10x the price.

A good reply is:

Hi

I appreciate your offer, however, the domain you inquired about is a very valuable domain. Here is an example of some recent domain name sales as reported by DN Journal:

--
--
--
--

Some people decide to go cheap on the domain for their business, they decide to maybe use weired sounding domains or extensions that are not popular, just to realize later on that they have to spend so much more on marketing and branding. There is a reason major corporations spend significant amount of money buying great domain names.

The asking price for this domain is -------- and to make it easier I offer my customers a -- month interest free payment plan, this means that if you simply pay ----- today, you will be able to start using this domain right away. If you decide in a few months you are no longer interested in the name, simply release the domain back to me and you will not have to make any future payments. We can do this entire transaction via the domain escrow service ----.

Take your time to think about it, as long as any of the other interested parties do not make payment, my above mentioned offer will be valid to you.

You can reach me at ------

Thank You
[first and last name, real or alias]

--

Few things, with payment plans use an escrow. If you copy and paste your email replies to different domains always make sure to not just update the asking price but also the correct math on the monthly payment, I recently messed up and for a 2200 dollar domain I said the monthly payment (12 months) is 410, the guy replied something in the lines of "that is one interest free payment plan you got going there".

If you know for a fact the sender is part of a big company or that the sender might have more financial resources than average, retain a broker. Unless you have extensive experience, you will end up losing lots of money dealing direct with buyers that money is not really an object to them.

Include a phone number, rarely will anyone even call you, psychologically it puts people at ease. I am aware that this line "simply release the domain back to me and you will not have to make any future payments" is not 100% correct, however it shows a level of imaginary trust.

Some argue that this email sounds desperate, however, the person emailing you is more desperate to secure a domain for his good or brain fart idea than you are for money.

Never take a low ball personal, almost all my sales started with a number I did not like at all. Very rarely will someone email you and offer high high 4+ figure right away, if they do they are 99% an appraisal scam.

It is VERY important to understand the brain fart crowd. IT is a big mistake to demand people make you a better offer. Do not waste time, understand that there is a good chance that the person emailing you is excited about the domain now. Soon he will get a good nights sleep or talk to his friends and he will not be interested in your domain even for a penny.

Reply right away, give a price, offer a payment plan, create a sense of urgency without it looking like you are, that is why I include my last line.

Remember, don't care what some domainer will think when he gets your email reply, this is designed for the general public.

There are many social engineering type tricks to help with sales too, however, I don't think posting them here would be appropriate.

•••
If I were you I would send a list of domains he could hand register.

•••
I once had an inquiry offering to generously pay DOUBLE the reg fee.
And it's from an enduser.
I sent the email straight into the spam folder.

•••
Absolutely agree with @bluebox. No need to get mad about it, and no need to burn bridges.

Our goal as sellers is to get paid what we believe the name is worth, but the buyers' goal is probably to get the best name they can at the best price they can.

If a buyer has a $XXX budget, why not trying to get a jackpot and aiming for some $XXXX names? You never know what you might get. Maybe you just get the right seller at the best circumstances to close a bargain sale.

And then there's the fact of some people trying to initiate a negotiation with unrealistic offers. You'll never know if they can get to some realistic ground if you don't try to at least bring them there.

Never take it personal. You play your part, they play theirs. A short, polite reply and on the next email. Who knows if there might be a reasonable counter offer.

•••
I just got a reply from an irritating person 40 minutes ago. I was about to put his email in spam but then saw this thread. Let me know you think I should reply

Here is the mail trail -

On Sun, Mar 20, 2016 at 7:16 PM

I searched for ExampleDomain.com domain name and i found that you own it so , are you really the owner of the domain or thats a wrong email ?

On Mar 20, 2016, at 5:30 PM,

Hi
Yes, this domain is owned by me.

On Mon, Mar 21, 2016 at 1:46 AM

Thanks for your reply , is it available for sale ?

***************************************************************************************

On Mar 21, 2016, at 7:16 AM

Yes, this domain is for sale. What is your offer for this domain?

On Mon, Mar 21, 2016 at 2:00 PM

I can pay triple what you pay for it 30$ , thats my maximum offer

Sent: Monday, March 21, 2016 12:13 PM

Your offer is way too low. Incase, in future, you change your mind and are willing to offer a mid $xxx figure then let me know.

Mon, Mar 21, 2016 at 2:22 PM

Dear mr . Its a long name not the perfect one but i just planned to name my website Example Domain and it was available (***)when i thought about it , so if i couldnt get it i will think about something else , so i cant pay more than 30 because i can buy one with 1$ , its up to u. Thanks anyway

(*** Which is clearly a lie, coz i have this domain since 5 months, and go it in auction. And he wasnt the previous owner.)

To Which I didn’t reply… AND THEN……

Sent: Monday, March 21, 2016 5:22 PM
Subject: Re: please answer my question

clip_image001.gif

i have other domain if u want to exchange , cheapExampleDomain.com , and i can pay 20$ , so if u interested let me know

I ignored his mail, and Today he sent me this...

hey so what do you say , cheapExampleDomain.com plus 30$ ? if u interested send me your offer , thanks

I earlier thought this person is just being an A-hole, but when today he sent me the mail, I checked the whoIS and he actually bought 'Cheap'MyDomainName . Com

WTF!

So guys, that are your thought about such people

•••
Lol, i got such similar domain "trading" requests too from time to time.. straight off to bulk folder they usually go.. i used to waste way too much time with lowballers resulting in nothing, therefore nowadays often not replying anymore if i dont see at least a 3 digit offer in the first inquiry (via DNS)

•••
•••
@JJSons another reply wouldn't hurt. Obviously he really wants it, but he is unlikely to come up to where you need him to.

Maybe something like:

I appreciate your continued interest, but we are just too far apart on price to make this happen.

This is what I do for a living and I have to sell domains for a profit that includes all my costs and time. I don't sell any domains for less than XXX or I'd quickly be out of business.

Good luck on your project.

•••
I would have replied in a negotiating manner, telling them why I they need to raise their offer, and how much the domain name holds potential for them.

I could also have given them an offer of installment payments under Escrow.com domain holding transaction.

•••
I just got a reply from an irritating person 40 minutes ago. I was about to put his email in spam but then saw this thread. Let me know you think I should reply

Here is the mail trail -

On Sun, Mar 20, 2016 at 7:16 PM

I searched for ExampleDomain.com domain name and i found that you own it so , are you really the owner of the domain or thats a wrong email ?

On Mar 20, 2016, at 5:30 PM,

Hi
Yes, this domain is owned by me.

On Mon, Mar 21, 2016 at 1:46 AM

Thanks for your reply , is it available for sale ?

***************************************************************************************

On Mar 21, 2016, at 7:16 AM

Yes, this domain is for sale. What is your offer for this domain?

On Mon, Mar 21, 2016 at 2:00 PM

I can pay triple what you pay for it 30$ , thats my maximum offer

Sent: Monday, March 21, 2016 12:13 PM

Your offer is way too low. Incase, in future, you change your mind and are willing to offer a mid $xxx figure then let me know.

Mon, Mar 21, 2016 at 2:22 PM

Dear mr . Its a long name not the perfect one but i just planned to name my website Example Domain and it was available (***)when i thought about it , so if i couldnt get it i will think about something else , so i cant pay more than 30 because i can buy one with 1$ , its up to u. Thanks anyway

(*** Which is clearly a lie, coz i have this domain since 5 months, and go it in auction. And he wasnt the previous owner.)

To Which I didn’t reply… AND THEN……

Sent: Monday, March 21, 2016 5:22 PM
Subject: Re: please answer my question

clip_image001.gif

i have other domain if u want to exchange , cheapExampleDomain.com , and i can pay 20$ , so if u interested let me know

I ignored his mail, and Today he sent me this...

hey so what do you say , cheapExampleDomain.com plus 30$ ? if u interested send me your offer , thanks

I earlier thought this person is just being an A-hole, but when today he sent me the mail, I checked the whoIS and he actually bought 'Cheap'MyDomainName . Com

WTF!

So guys, that are your thought about such people

Had one of these. Politely let him know your price expectation and that you are not willing to consider any trades, bartering for offers below your expectations.

Also let him know that if he will meet you where you need to be, you'd be glad to business, otherwise you will not continue to engage in haggling.

From there, ignore until he makes an offer you would be ok with.

•••
Lol, i got such similar domain "trading" requests too from time to time.. straight off to bulk folder they usually go.. i used to waste way too much time with lowballers resulting in nothing,
Me too :) Those people insisting on trading their inferior domains usually are more 'persistent' than the other tire-kickers.

•••
He clearly wants the name but doesn't have the money.
Tell him that with his budget he should settle for .net and perhaps when he can save enough and he's still interested in .com he can contact you again.

This is why you should buy names that have many potential end users - that way you don't feel the pressure to turn every offer into sale. There will be other buyers. Just wish him good luck with his endeavors and move on.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back