IT.COM

question Won GoDaddy auction. Now what?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I purchased 2 domains today at GoDaddy auction, these domains are currently registered at Enom and Domain.com.

Not real sure what the next step is. Do I need to contact the sellers?

I see the domains appeared in the Pending Transfer In section of my account. Do I need to do anything here? or do I just wait for the process to be done automatically?

Any help would be appreciated.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Shouldn't you be asking Godaddy support those questions? They are literally always on duty to help customers and they can look up each domain for you.

•••
Not real sure what the next step is. Do I need to contact the sellers?
IME, sellers are supposed to contact you but they might not. Stay on top of it and take the initiative to contact the seller and GoDaddy if they don't contact you. I've read other threads about GoDaddy releasing the funds to sellers if the buyer didn't tell them they never received the domain name. Best advice: be proactive.

I see the domains appeared in the Pending Transfer In section of my account. Do I need to do anything here? or do I just wait for the process to be done automatically?
The status should tell you whether you need to accept it: from another registrar or from within GoDaddy.

Shouldn't you be asking Godaddy support those questions?
Pay it forward. :happy:

•••
IME, sellers are supposed to contact you but they might not. Stay on top of it and take the initiative to contact the seller and GoDaddy if they don't contact you. I've read other threads about GoDaddy releasing the funds to sellers if the buyer didn't tell them they never received the domain name. Best advice: be proactive.

The status should tell you whether you need to accept it: from another registrar or from within GoDaddy.

Pay it forward. :happy:

Thanks for the info. I also called them and they said it works similar to eBay. They give the seller up to 30 days for the domains to transfer over, but generally it only takes a week or so. He said I don't need to contact them or do anything.

•••
Thanks for the info. I also called them and they said it works similar to eBay.
Similar to eBay? What an absurd statement. It's not remotely like eBay. The not knowing (and waiting) can be nerve-racking, especially if the domain is not with Godaddy. Getting clueless "assurances" from GD support doesn't help.

Last edited:
•••
He said I don't need to contact them or do anything.
:banghead:

He gave you incomplete information, I'm sorry to say. You can read the horror stories by searching around. If they don't transfer the domain name to you, GoDaddy will still release your money to them after enough time has passed if GoDaddy hasn't heard from you that you didn't receive it.

Follow my advice to save yourself from headaches later.

•••
Have you completed the payment for the domains?

•••
:banghead:

He gave you incomplete information, I'm sorry to say. You can read the horror stories by searching around. If they don't transfer the domain name to you, GoDaddy will still release your money to them after enough time has passed if GoDaddy hasn't heard from you that you didn't receive it.

Follow my advice to save yourself from headaches later.

I contacted the sellers earlier today, if I don't hear back from them in a few days I will contact GoDaddy again.

Have you completed the payment for the domains?

Yes the payment has completed.

•••
I contacted the sellers earlier today, if I don't hear back from them in a few days I will contact GoDaddy again.
IIRC, you now need to initiate the transfers (Or perhaps it is initiated automatically). You'll need the security and txn numbers from the email that GD will generate. The seller will need to provide that

•••
It's unfortunate, but there is always the possibility the domain will NOT be transferred, due to a faulty listing (old listing not authorized by current registrant, etc.), in which case you'll be refunded. This has happened to me multiple times with Godaddy, and they almost always blame it on an "aftermarket partner" but never have I received a full or even satisfactory explanation. In fact, in the most recent case a transfer was supposedly in process but the "owner" never responded. It's a tragicomic crapshoot with Godaddy auctions every time.

•••
Fully agree with @forge. I've had a similar experience with GD As well

•••
I just received the email below from GoDaddy. Not real sure how people can sell domains they don't own. You would think GoDaddy being the biggest domain registrar would have ways to avoid this, it doesn't take much to have the sellers provide proof of ownership.

I put time and effort into this which I will never get back, plus I passed on several other domain names due to already buying these. I'm extremely pissed about this, especially when I contacted them twice and they told me everything was fine and it was just a matter of waiting.

It has come to our attention that the sellers of kata.com and damo.com do not own the domains and cwill not be able to complete the transaction as agreed. At this time we have taken action against the sellers and have issued refunds for the purchases of these domain. Please let us know if you have any questions and we apologize for the inconvenience.

Regards,
Elizabeth
Aftermarket Support

•••
I'd be really interested in the price for kata.com; I'm willing to bet it was in the "too good to be true" range. But again, Godaddy partners with numerous other venues which leaves room for a lot of shenanigans. I'm not excusing them and fully agree that they should have ample vetting policies in place instead of the slipshod system they have now.

Last edited:
•••
I see the deals fell through.

still worth noting,........wrt the enom domain won at godaddy auction, a push to your enom account was a possibility, too. simpler than a transfer.

•••
Back