Domain Empire

poll Will you invest in .tech domains?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

With the release of the .TECH extension today, will you be investing?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Yes

votes
    30.8%
  • No

votes
    40.0%
  • Wait and see

votes
    29.2%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

With the release of the .TECH extension today, will you be investing?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Besides which many of the supposed sites will remain undeveloped which will lead to further frustration within the public towards the extension.

Why do you say the same about .tech might be a better question? I'm just comparing one of your reged extensions. :rolleyes:

•••
As far as I am aware the number of developed .ht domains is very low, but what that has to do with .tech is a puzzle to me. ;)

Check mate:!:

•••
Unfortunately for you your call of 'check mate' is false because as you have identified earlier my registration is not anything but as a domain hack. I think you have just proved that you have not thought through your argument. :rolleyes:

Such domains as 'future.tech', 'sci-fi.tech', 'food.tech' etc. I see as having strength not through their association with the .tech suffix but as domain hacks refering simply to common phrases, that does not in anyway make the extension .tech any more valuable than any other suffix. Where the suffix falls though is the management of the pricing system adopted by the Registry AND the colossal problem of the suffix being disregarded as a mainstay of anything but a niche market, it is the former of these problems though that will detract from widespread usage as well as the problem of many technology sites continuing to use .com domains.

As I said in my first post I am definitely a 'No' towards investing in this suffix presently.

•••
@ thebaldone - Look if you think future.tech and extension is a domain hack like fig.ht we need to quit this debate and let the thread run. For the record I have no clue where you are going with this other than being anti new gTLDS... :rolleyes:

fig.ht (HACK)
domain name.tech (NOT A HACK)

Last edited:
•••
R-V.tech
Aliens.tech
Adopting.tech
and a couple of LLL...(blk friday sale)
Would be nice to see these start moving in China...

There has being being good movement in China and all good NNN.tech and patterned LLL.tech's have being bought out. The extension has being out for 4 months and its blowing away the .technology extension. In fact, I already have been contacted by numerous companies that have the .technology extension and want the shorter variation of .tech. I am renewing most of my 400 because I believe it the sleeper of all extensions. Everything is Tech.

For the time being I am definitely in the 'No' camp.

Why would I invest in a suffix that has all the following negatives:

- The public do not know of it.
- The selection of 'premium domains' is somewhat arbitrary to say the least
- The initial registration fees are quite high
- The continual high price on renewals is high
- No guarantee that when a supposed non-premium domain is registered that it will not then after attract the dubious distinction of being classed as a 'premium domain' by the registry and the cost of renewal be increased to what they think they can get away with charging.

Finally, the .tech registry apparent business model gives me no confidence that the registry will thrive or even exist in 5 years time, besides which as most new technological developments have nuanced names they can usually be found available to register in the .com and other major gTLD suffixes.

Extensions that had a high renewal fee when they first got released.
.com $75 per domain in 1995 .. and that was alot of money back then. Equivalent to maybe $200 per domain now.
.tv
.co
All had higher regs. Plus Uniregistry has the lowest Renewal / Registration cost of $30 for which most likely will also drop a litttle over the years to encourage more renewals.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back