Domain Empire

poll Will you invest in .tech domains?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

With the release of the .TECH extension today, will you be investing?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Yes

votes
    30.8%
  • No

votes
    40.0%
  • Wait and see

votes
    29.2%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

With the release of the .TECH extension today, will you be investing?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
of couse.I have already registered the following domain name:
lemon.tech
pear.tech
push.tech
tiger.tech

•••
Yes, in one year exactly. I will wait for the best drops then.

Hyena tactics?! ;)

•••
I will but not for now, my budget and my focus are for another project right now.

•••
I like it, I think .tech could be attractive for end users - short, pretty generic, can be used by startups for example.
But registry made sure it's very (too) risky for domainers. All good keywords are very expensive/blocked. Renewal fees are also pretty high.
Not to mention - as the last year showed (namebio.com) there's almost zero interest in new extensions. Most sells is to other domain investors.

•••
There is hardly any opportunity now to invest in .tech. IMO most of the good names are reserved or ridiculously priced.
For example, Crazy.Tech has a renewal price of $3125/year.
Maybe OP should add an option "No chance for investment"

Last edited:
•••
There is hardly any opportunity now to invest in .tech. IMO most of the good names are reserved or ridiculously priced.
For example, Crazy.Tech has a renewal price of $3125/year.
Righside got the domain prices very wrong.
Maybe OP should add an option "No chance for investment"

Radix is running .Tech, a lot of the names are priced high, you need people to develop your extension and if they can't afford it that makes it difficult to get reg numbers.

•••
true there are crazy premium prices for basic words that really have nothing to do with "tech". So I just grabbed one. OnCall . (tech) Think I will just stop there for this one.

•••
Nice catch @Nattydomain

I have purchased only one myself, mypc (dot) tech - which I can use for my personal uses. So I'm not worried about selling it.

Currently that is all I plan to purchase. For some reason I just felt I needed at least one while there were some ok names available at the open of GA and I'm sure those will be gone quickly.

I was just curious what other domain investors were thinking, and it seems they are all on roughly the same page.

Last edited:
•••
To add, I do like the extension... It applies very well to the industry that we are all in. But with its pricing and an over saturated gTLD market, I will not be investing too much as the risk level seems too much compared to the reward potential.

•••
Reg'd:

Maritime .TECH

That's about it it for me. Crazy prices.

•••
The premium prices for this particular extensions are well researched, meaning if there is a company with a similar name the domain will most likely have a premium price of $3000.

Its one of the best gtlds so far because its short and fits. A lot of companies will move away from their whateverTech.com to whatever.tech

I regged a few but its difficult to find good ones when they have done so much research before launching this extension. Still they always miss some.

•••
I preordered/hand reg'd a few, all normal reg/renewal fees.

outsource .tech
rescue .tech
locate .tech

mobilephone .tech
smartwear .tech

I really like this extension and I'm confident it will be a success. Anyone like these .tech domains?

•••
Never.

One more trap for naive domainers.
It's basically throwing money out the window.
99.99991% that the extension .tech will remain obscure.

Best to invest in .com, .net, .org, .info, .tv(the popular ones).

•••
Never.

So what your saying is only 9 out of every 10 million .tech domains will not be obscure.

You not think your approves.net or throne.info are obscure ?

Last edited:
•••
No one here knows the future, we can just guess...

Personally, I guess that .INFO and .NET will be considered like just two of hundreds of domains for coming generations. They will give heck about how we old school guys used to think back in 2010. ;)

But, I also think that .COM will remain the "icon domain" for a long, long time. The outstanding value it has now will just not vanish. I guess it still will be the undisputed champion in 20 years from now.

I guess .TECH will sell good on the aftermarket with perfectly relevant keywords, but terrible (almost close to nothing) with mediocre ones.

Still, just guessing.

•••
•••
No one here knows the future, we can just guess...

Personally, I guess that .INFO and .NET will be considered like just two of hundreds of domains for coming generations. They will give heck about how we old school guys used to think back in 2010. ;)

Exactly it's a guessing game, but the numbers speak volumes. Every day I find businesses who've already made the switch. I've seen entire portfolios of companies switch to a new extension. Some really impressive stuff going on. Sure, at one point the excitement will fade. Just take a look at Gardner's hype cycle if you are not familiar with it. Right now we are probably at the peak of inflated expectations. But soon enough we'll have more concrete data to work with. Many extensions are very profitable so they will stay with us for a long time and will even see discounts and more advertising. Exciting times for anyone in the domain industry who's not stuck in the past.

•••
Exactly it's a guessing game, but the numbers speak volumes. Every day I find businesses who've already made the switch. I've seen entire portfolios of companies switch to a new extension. Some really impressive stuff going on. Sure, at one point the excitement will fade. Just take a look at Gardner's hype cycle if you are not familiar with it. Right now we are probably at the peak of inflated expectations. But soon enough we'll have more concrete data to work with. Many extensions are very profitable so they will stay with us for a long time and will even see discounts and more advertising. Exciting times for anyone in the domain industry who's not stuck in the past.

Good and sensible observations... Indeed, this will be interesting!

•••
Never.

The problem is that many domainers have no idea what businesses are looking for in a domain because they do not own their own business or they shy away from making real investments (e.g. they do not participate in EAP to get the real good names). They do not treat it as a business but as a hobby. That's why they make bad buying decisions. However even advanced domainers make bad buying decisions from time to time and they let them expire.. thats just part of the game. You really need to be highly critical and conservative, especially when you are investing into something so speculative.

One other thing is that every extension will have certain types of names that sell better. One only has to look at what is hot right now and has sold in the past as well and transfer that knowledge to new extensions to find real gems. Its doable even if you lack the knowledge of domainers with 10+ years experience. Just do some proper research and think real hard about the commercial purpose. Most hobbyists dont think about the commercial purpose, but that is so critical.

•••
Registrars themselves are now battling for keywords, I guess the best keyword TLD's will be taken first and similar keyword TLDs will be compete against each other when established.

In time new gTLDs may also have the advantage of having a larger percentage of newly constructed websites that look and perform better than your average .com .net .org some of which may not have being changed in decades and also have fresher content.

So, surfers perception may favour selecting some of these new gTLDs when presented with a choice in search results, hoping for the best quality and content.

I expect considerable type-in traffic in some new gTLDs, in particular, perfect match keywords forming phrases between first and second level domains eg. buy.flowers yoga.nyc learn.technology etc.

When it comes to technology .tech is just about the best option (english speaking)

.technology is also good but has the disadvantage of being longer to type web and email addresses

Technology is big and even bigger online, we literally can't live without it .... I think there's ample room for .tech to survive even in this new competitive market.

•••
So what your saying is only 9 out of every 10 million .tech domains will not be obscure.

You not think your approves.net or throne.info are obscure ?

The 2 domains in my current signature are not obscure.
They were appraised in the 4 figures.
I already received offers for both of them.
I have many better domains which worth much more, though I can only add those 2 links, so I added the lesser ones.
You're taking a huge gamble, I wish you the best of luck in your endeavour.

The problem is that many domainers have no idea what businesses are looking for in a domain because they do not own their own business or they shy away from making real investments (e.g. they do not participate in EAP to get the real good names). They do not treat it as a business but as a hobby. That's why they make bad buying decisions. However even advanced domainers make bad buying decisions from time to time and they let them expire.. thats just part of the game. You really need to be highly critical and conservative, especially when you are investing into something so speculative.

One other thing is that every extension will have certain types of names that sell better. One only has to look at what is hot right now and has sold in the past as well and transfer that knowledge to new extensions to find real gems. Its doable even if you lack the knowledge of domainers with 10+ years experience. Just do some proper research and think real hard about the commercial purpose. Most hobbyists dont think about the commercial purpose, but that is so critical.

There is a slight chance that .tech will succeed.
But it is a huge gamble.
I prefer to invest my money in more popular domain extensions.
Best of luck.

•••
The meaning is ok, how it's ran it's just silly. Anything decent is to expensive for most, domainers and end users alike. Will just be one of the plethora of options although a limited such.

Will I be investing? No simply because Radix don't want me to.

•••
The meaning is ok, how it's ran it's just silly. Anything decent is to expensive for most, domainers and end users alike. Will just be one of the plethora of options although a limited such.

I expect premium renew fees to be drastically reduced in most new gTLDs, registrars reassessing pricing on many unused premium names over time .tech being no exception.

•••
I think .io had some moderate success. Did they become hot immediately, or did it take a few months?

I would like to know what signs to look for that .tech may become popular/good investment. Any help?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back