IT.COM

poll Will you invest in .tech domains?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

With the release of the .TECH extension today, will you be investing?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Yes

votes
    30.8%
  • No

votes
    40.0%
  • Wait and see

votes
    29.2%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

With the release of the .TECH extension today, will you be investing?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I think .io had some moderate success. Did they become hot immediately, or did it take a few months?

I would like to know what signs to look for that .tech may become popular/good investment. Any help?

I would say as soon as you start seeing sales on markets

•••
Why would anyone pay over $2,000 a year renewals when you can buy a VERY good dot com for $2,000 and renew each year for 9 bucks

•••
Why would anyone pay over $2,000 a year renewals when you can buy a VERY good dot com for $2,000 and renew each year for 9 bucks
This is a legitimate point you have made and I think your right to ... I expect this to be addressed by the registry in time.

They must protect their image, they don't want to start of an image of spam and cyber squatters.

I expect fees will be reduced for must names as the extension expands it's web.

•••
New gtlds needs a support whether from end user or domainer. Seems the renewal prices is too high I don't think everyone can take a part. Only the big players can afford this module if they really motivated to pay more in renewal fees.

We will see most domainers who have already regged .tech needs to flip fast before the renewal time comes. Same thing with other new gtlds. Reg n drop soon.

•••
Yes, they will drop like flies .... and when they do expect the registry to combat against falling reg's with more first year reg deals .... .info has had a lot of success with this model .... its all about image, keep reg numbers up and squatters and spammers away.

My own ccTLD .ie is strict, they do not allow .ie domains to be traded, but the upside is most Irish people have a lot of confidence in the extension as a result and businesses maintains a certain level of prestige with its users.

•••
The best gtld are those that have had relationships with domains sales in the past, which we can see from sales records.

This include guru, club and tech imo.

Therefore, this are the ones I see making success of the lots in sample of .tech, .guru and .clud. Of course these are my faves.

•••
Yes i would invest in .tech domains...because it is a good TLD and many technology companies might be interested in it.

•••
•••
damn those tech domains are expensive to register lol..

•••
damn those tech domains are expensive to register lol..
Actually you can buy it for $15 at hover.com - I couldn't help myself and got one...

•••
I don't really invest in new gTLD's but i couldn't help myself when i noticed Upstart.tech was only $16

•••
I'm hoping a big company does for .tech what Google did for .xyz - I'm scanning namebio in hopes of finding a .tech finally selling.

•••
$9.99 at gandi ...

.tech could be the dark horse

•••
Look into transferring, instead of renewing.

Got a few, including:
Hacked
24hour
Certified
Unmanned
Autonomous
Deeplearning
Thermal
Canna
Beacon
Flexible
Proto
Cloak
Fuelcell
Cornerstone
Cross
Civil
Applicance
Hydroponics
Alternative
Aeroponics

Last edited:
•••
Namestate.org does a pretty good job displaying the Registration / Transfer Costs

•••
I like .tech too. Just have one for now though: iThings.tech. Sooner or later, the Internet of Things will be commonly known as iThings instead of IoT. I'm hoping anyway!

•••
•••
R-V.tech
Aliens.tech
Adopting.tech
and a couple of LLL...(blk friday sale)
Would be nice to see these start moving in China...

•••
•••
For the time being I am definitely in the 'No' camp.

Why would I invest in a suffix that has all the following negatives:

- The public do not know of it.
- The selection of 'premium domains' is somewhat arbitrary to say the least
- The initial registration fees are quite high
- The continual high price on renewals is high
- No guarantee that when a supposed non-premium domain is registered that it will not then after attract the dubious distinction of being classed as a 'premium domain' by the registry and the cost of renewal be increased to what they think they can get away with charging.

Finally, the .tech registry apparent business model gives me no confidence that the registry will thrive or even exist in 5 years time, besides which as most new technological developments have nuanced names they can usually be found available to register in the .com and other major gTLD suffixes.

•••
For the time being I am definitely in the 'No' camp.

Why would I invest in a suffix that has all the following negatives:

- The public do not know of it.
- The selection of 'premium domains' is somewhat arbitrary to say the least
- The initial registration fees are quite high
- The continual high price on renewals is high
- No guarantee that when a supposed non-premium domain is registered that it will not then after attract the dubious distinction of being classed as a 'premium domain' by the registry and the cost of renewal be increased to what they think they can get away with charging.

Finally, the .tech registry apparent business model gives me no confidence that the registry will thrive or even exist in 5 years time, besides which as most new technological developments have nuanced names they can usually be found available to register in the .com and other major gTLD suffixes.

And the public would understand fig.ht better? ;)

•••
Actually the answer to your question is 'Yes' - you do for instance. ;)

(The comparrison, if it is such, is what people will see in the written word, with a domain hack it applies to what people perceive when they read it, hence the reason the popularity of such as 'Who.is' websites. But if you want to discuss merits or otherwise of domain hacks that should surely be on a different thread, so if you wish to begin one I will definitely contribute whole heartedly to it. :) )

Going back now to the .tech suffix, there is another problem for the suffix not mentioned above, and that is the confussion caused by the use of the abbreviation of the word 'tech' for 'technology' in everyday use. At first this may seem like an advantage but the negative is that people, the general public that is, are likely soon to become turned off by the fact that they type in something they read that only contains the word 'tech' but does not in actual fact identify a website or even a landing page. Besides which many of the supposed sites will remain undeveloped which will lead to further frustration within the public towards the extension.

•••
Whatever you want to think but a short keyword.tech is better than a hack like fig.ht any day. Not saying hacks aren't cute and used. :| .tech beats the heck out of .technology because of the length and tech can also refer to a repair tech.

As for underdeveloped, whats the .ht numbers? -_-

•••
As far as I am aware the number of developed .ht domains is very low, but what that has to do with .tech is a puzzle to me. ;)

•••
I got one tuts.tech

Having plans to develop on the name ;)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back