IT.COM

debate Will .xyz flourish in 2019?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Laguna

Top Member
Impact
What are your thoughts on .xyz in the coming year or two ?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
you posted why you have no sales. On a public forum, looking at your portfolio, you wont be getting any sales. Quality over quantity, ya your learning, the hard way.
Crazy thing to say given your a so called expert. "Won't be getting ANY sales" bold statement

•••
90% of my portfolio is hand reg btw, but 3-5-8 years ago, when good non trademark names were available.
Lots of so so 2 word on my list still available to book. English proper, no tm .com extension
Time is precious haha go sell a name, now you all have wasted more time reading udder nonesense when you should be out selling names or buying up stocks

TrendingSpy you have ok name there, Teabag.xyz :ROFL:
I sold developing+xyz and profited off that extension before you knew what xyz was

•••
90% of my portfolio is hand reg btw, but 3-5-8 years ago, when good non trademark names were available.
Lots of so so 2 word on my list still available to book. English proper, no tm .com extension
Time is precious haha go sell a name, now you all have wasted more time reading udder nonesense when you should be out selling names or buying up stocks

I sold developing+xyz and profited off that extension before you knew what xyz was
Time my friend, time

•••
Look at the bright side, as long as you are here gabbing, your not out booking.crap

•••
There is absolutely no one on here that can say there is NOTHING of any value in my portfolio. Yes there is mostly rubbish but a few with value. And that's coming from some pro's by DM.

•••

Exactly.

Age adds value. The reason is simple: Value is derived from scarcity. Age = time = money. Time is a scarce resource, so it's valuable, even the most valuable resource for many people. Time is money, money is time. Anything aged is more valuable by default unless it's a dead or extinct product (example: horse carriage, spear, telegraph). Every product has a life, is born, lives and dies like humans. Internet is still young, so age will add value to internet based products until internet dies and becomes extinct like telegraph.

Even older humans are more expensive than younger ones. Seeing a 50 years old doctor is more expensive than seeing a 35 years old doctor or an advocate, technician, accountant, etc. Because you can't revert back the time, accelerate it or stop it or slow it down. Little children want to become adult faster, want to get rid of childhood but time passes in its own speed. Elderly people miss the old days when they were child or young but they pass away like all the other previous humans. We don't control the time. We can't produce more time, can't consume it faster or slower (eg: you can't shave your beard when you are 5 years old :) ) Time is not only scarce resource but also fully out of our control. Gold supply is scarce but you can decide how much gold you will demand. Land supply is scarce but you can live in a smaller house when you have to. So time is the most valuable thing as its quantity is fully out of our control in both, supply and demand sides.

Age alone has a value. Assume beer.com is available and someone hand registered it today. It would be cheaper if it was registered today.

Being parked or failed sales attempts in the past are not good indicators in an appraisal. Age always adds value. Because you can't turn back to the past, say, turning back to 1990's and being able to hand register 3 letter domains like sex.com. You can safely assume randomly chosen older domains are known by more people, need less promotion than randomly chosen newer domains. This is the main reason of why aged websites rank better in search results: They need search engines less as they receive more direct traffic (type-in or via browser bookmarks). Conversely search engines need aged, premium domains more than the need of aged domains for search engines. Because the search engines I know -specifically google- don't operate on good domains, so they have to provide reliable, quality search results to survive. As they aren't confident to survive merely based on search service, they added different services in addition to their initial search service. In my opinion, the reason is mostly related to bad choice (or not a perfect choice) on domain. In my opinion search.com would be a better choice than google.com if it was available to hand register.

Another striking proof: If you renew your website domain for longer 1 year in advance it ranks better in search results. I personally verified this on my own websites. Register a domain today, develop it today and renew its domain for 5 years, till 2022. By renewing its domain for 5 years, you are announcing everyone (including search engines) your site will certainly become 5 years old in 2022. Therefore your site deserves enjoying some portion of the authority of a 5 years old domain as it gives a guarantee to become a 5 years old domain.

Age isn't just a number. Even in the emerging markets of today (bitcoin, virtual reality, artificial intelligence, robotics) older domains will be always more valuable than the new ones. I saw some threads on this forum which started to buy 1+ year old crypto-bitcoin domains. Age adds value to everything you see. For instance you could buy 1 bitcoin for $1 in the past. But today you have to pay almost $6,000 for the same 1 bitcoin. Age isn't just a number. Of course everything dies after getting old enough. But internet is still young and is still growing.

Early adapters, first entrants skim the market (any market, not only internet-domain market). This rule never changes. Can you hand register 3L com's today? I remember the times when people were discussing if hand registering 4L com is a waste of money as most of 4 letters you can think of are meaningless random combinations. Now, the train missed, you can't hand register any 4L com. Is it important if your 4L com was parked or didn't sold after many attempts? No. Age is still adding value to 3L and 4L domains. 4L domains have value as they are scarce. Some smart, forward looking people saw this fact before the most people and hand registered 4L com's while it was possible. So we turned back to the beginning of this post. Value is derived from scarcity. Air is the most valuable thing to live but air has no economic value as it's not scarce. 4L or 3L is valuable as they are scarce. Being forward looking is valuable as it's scarce. Anything valuable is scarce. Age adds value until the product dies, becomes extinct, or until human can control quantity of the time.

This guy isn't listening though, he's just talking, still waiting for someone to tell him that he's not naked, when in fact he isn't wearing any clothes at all.

kE7lJUsm.png

•••

I sold developing+xyz and profited off that extension before you knew what xyz was[/QUOyou have turned this in to a personal vendetta and and steered away from the original question. Therefore I reported you.lets hope you get restricted like our friend jonnie018

•••
Exactly.

This guy isn't listening though, he's just talking, still waiting for someone to tell him that he's not naked, when in fact he isn't wearing any clothes at all.

kE7lJUsm.png
Grow up and stop being childish

•••
If you seek advice, follow it. If you're going to just keep doing the same thing and not listening, then stop asking.

•••
If you seek advice, follow it. If you're going to just keep doing the same thing and not listening, then stop asking.

Yawn

•••
•••
@MasterOfMyDomains I dare you to send a portfolio link by DM to anyone who asks for it. Let's see some of the crap names you yourself have registered

•••
imadoer had a look at my portfolio, he liked it but said i needed more .com
so i went booked about 40 more .COM at NS
Go register LiquidPlants,com on my list for a while
What i see is hydroponic growing, as thats what hydroponics are. Plants in water
Not a good name for a plant food brand, maybe people will be selling plants (clones)in jars of water soon, maybe a container of wine/water mix. Thats the kind of names i decline registering for $1
KISS keep it simple stupid, my portfolio looks better every day

•••
As a newbie, what is the point of me buying expensive domains if I am still in the learning process ? Lose a lot of money or use good old common sense and buy cheap until I know what I'm doing ?
That's an interesting question that has a surprisingly simple answer.
You know what they say, "Smart people learn from their mistakes. But the real sharp ones learn from the mistakes of others". There is no need to make all the same rookie mistakes that others have gone through.
So, rather than waste a lot of money on experiments until you get it right, what you should be doing is research, analyze reported sales, and learn what kinds of names do sell. Until then, do not buy any more domains. Just watch, read, do research. Do not buy anything until your are confident enough.
There is no need to reinvent the wheel. The knowledge is available (for free) but you have to process it.

Don't put the cart before the horse.
When you have done your homework, you will realize that many of the questions you've asked you could have answered yourself. And you would have built a different kind of portfolio.

There is absolutely no one on here that can say there is NOTHING of any value in my portfolio. Yes there is mostly rubbish but a few with value. And that's coming from some pro's by DM.
Many domainers are in love with their domains and are not objective. I think you are one of them.

Many newcomers think that they should buy many domains, treating them like lottery tickets, and that they just need to sell one domain to break even and make a profit. Yet the majority of domainers are losing money. If you have 200 domains then you need to sell for at least about $2000 just to recoup your investment, and it still does not pay for the renewals. Everybody can make one sale out of luck or by accident, but the real challenge is to repeat the feat over and over, and make a consistent profit.
Easier said than done, really.

•••
That's an interesting question that has a surprisingly simple answer.
You know what they say, "Smart people learn from their mistakes. But the real sharp ones learn from the mistakes of others". There is no need to make all the same rookie mistakes that others have gone through.
So, rather than waste a lot of money on experiments until you get it right, what you should be doing is research, analyze reported sales, and learn what kinds of names do sell. Until then, do not buy any more domains. Just watch, read, do research. Do not buy anything until your are confident enough.
There is no need to reinvent the wheel. The knowledge is available (for free) but you have to process it.

Don't put the cart before the horse.
When you have done your homework, you will realize that many of the questions you've asked you could have answered yourself. And you would have built a different kind of portfolio.

Many domainers are in love with their domains and are not objective. I think you are one of them.

Many newcomers think that they should buy many domains, treating them like lottery tickets, and that they just need to sell one domain to break even and make a profit. Yet the majority of domainers are losing money. If you have 200 domains then you need to sell for at least about $2000 just to recoup your investment, and it still does not pay for the renewals. Everybody can make one sale out of luck or by accident, but the real challenge is to repeat the feat over and over, and make a consistent profit.
Easier said than done, really.
Thanks Kate, great words and great advice.

•••
It's always the .xyz threads that bring out the emotions. Love em or hate em, it is what it is.:xf.grin: hope y'all have a good day!

•••
Someone commented on my post only a couple of hours ago that even my new hand regged names that I did in the last day or so are worthless. I take offense to this as think that it's untrue.
ShowsNowOn .com and
PerformanceRentalCars .com
Are worth more than just reg fee's
Even if they are only worth 100 bucks each they are not worthless

•••
Someone commented on my post only a couple of hours ago that even my new hand regged names that I did in the last day or so are worthless. I take offense to this

•••
ShowsNowOn .com and
PerformanceRentalCars .com
Are worth more than just reg fee's
Even if they are only worth 100 bucks each they are not worthless
Okay I will bite. I looked them up on hosterstats.com, there is no indication they have ever been registered in the past. In means that in over 20 years nobody out of 7 billion human beings would even take them for $10. Really, it tells you something. The odds that these names could become desirable at some point in the future are as remote as winning the lottery.

By the way, I have had some success with handregs too, but often it was recently dropped domains. Or the other way is predictive domaining, anticipating new trends and buzzwords.

Everybody can find available domains of similar quality, or suitable alternatives. So there isn't a compelling reason for anybody to come to you, rather than find something else that will be good enough for the planned purpose.

Last edited:
•••
<<ShowsNowOn .com> I imagine that he noticed that another domain name, showsonnow.com (with the dreaded double consonant) is being offered for sale by some dreamer for 50000 Euro :xf.laugh:, and figured that some permutation of it would be good.

https://www.namepros.com/threads/wesellyacht-dot-com-to-appraise-please.1051660/#post-6450622
Yes, too many new domainers jump on a variation, such as the singular or the plural or adding or removing a letter or changing the order of the words, or a different extension, of some name that sold for a lot in the past, thinking that the variation that has been sitting unregistered all these years must be worth something too. Brandables aside (which are hit or miss anyway), It ain’t necessarily so!

---

but anyway, the point is that he usually argues, occasionally acknowledges, but doesn't change his ways.

Last edited:
•••
Okay I will bite. I looked them up on hosterstats.com, there is no indication they have ever been registered in the past. In means that in over 20 years nobody out of 7 billion human beings would even take them for $10. Really, it tells you something. The odds that these names could become desirable at some point in the future are as remote as winning the lottery.

By the way, I have had some success with handregs too, but often it was recently dropped domains. Or the other way is predictive domaining, anticipating new trends and buzzwords.

Everybody can find available domains of similar quality, or suitable alternatives. So there isn't a compelling reason for anybody to come to you, rather than find something else that will be good enough for the planned purpose.
I appreciate your feedback Kate but disagree on those 2 domains.
When I want to go see a show, I go on Google and type in shows on now and I assume millions of others do too. As for the other one, wealthy people go to a big city and want to hire a high end sports car for the day so a domain name like Performance Car Rental is not as bad as you might think. They will both sell. It's a case of how much and when

•••
<<ShowsNowOn .com> I imagine that he noticed that another domain name, showsonnow.com (with the dreaded double consonant) is being offered for sale by some dreamer for 50000 Euro :xf.laugh:, and figured that some permutation of it would be good.

https://www.namepros.com/threads/wesellyacht-dot-com-to-appraise-please.1051660/#post-6450622
Yes, too many new domainers jump on a variation, such as the singular or the plural or adding or removing a letter or changing the order of the words, or a different extension, of some name that sold for a lot in the past, thinking that the variation that has been sitting unregistered all these years must be worth something too. Brandables aside (which are hit or miss anyway), It ain’t necessarily so!

---

but anyway, the point is that he usually argues, occasionally acknowledges, but doesn't change his ways.
Let me and others see your portfolio too. I think you would be to embarrassed to do so

•••
If you'd care to go to my website and make an offer on any domain of mine, please do so. I receive offers almost daily and sell domains almost weekly, but anyway ... this is not a competition. The point is (for the fifth or so time), that you're clearly not willing to listen or take action on suggestions made here, so why do you ask anything?

If others wish to take up time responding to this person who doesn't listen, ga'head.

Last edited:
•••
If you'd care to go to my website and make an offer on any domain of mine, please do so. I receive offers almost daily and sell domains almost weekly, but anyway ... this is not a competition. The point is (for the fifth or so time), that you're not willing to listen or take action on suggestions made here, so why ask anything?

If others wish to take up time responding to this person who doesn't listen, ga'head.[/QUOT
Your full of it.

•••
I'm sure everyone is bored with this thread by now, so I won't be corresponding any more. To your great relief 😂

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back