IT.COM

debate Will .xyz flourish in 2019?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Laguna

Top Member
Impact
What are your thoughts on .xyz in the coming year or two ?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
In addition: I would stay away from word1word2 names, definitely, very slim chances of resale in 2018.

I hate to be THAT guy but his chances are extremely slim in 2018 given there is only 1 day left of it.

Who am I kidding I LOVE to be that guy lol.

As for .xyz domains I have never invested in them but for $1 per, it is worth a shot if you set a realistic target compared to the amount you invested.

•••
Here is an article for amusement. Konstantinos tells it like it is.

“This is a huge block of absolutely useless domains presented like a deal with apparent justification other than vaguely comparing these .xyz domains with Bitcoin that is simply ridiculous and everyone involved knows that. Including Frank Schilling. I will not even get into this… “

“It seems that people in this industry will say anything to make a quick buck. Or $0.99. Does anyone cares about credibility in the domain name industry anymore? From what I have seen in the past few months apparently no one cares.”

Most of these domains have no value in .com so they have zero (0) value in a bad New gTLD extension such as .XYZ.

I wouldn’t take these domains in they were free. I would take them if someone paid me and that is to store them until they expire so no one buys them even by accident.

And this above is the reason I am one the few domain name blogs that never had Uniregistry as a sponsor (among others).

https://onlinedomain.com/2017/05/31...mains-doesnt-anyone-care-credibility-anymore/

•••
This was put on completed domain sales about 5 minutes ago

Barista////xyz
950 usd
GD
regfee

Obvious////xyz
1495 usd
GD
regfee

Kinetics////xyz
1995 usd
GD
regfee

Monolith////xyz
1995 usd
Undeveloped
regfee

Dots////xyz
1250 usd
Undeveloped
regfee

Arman////xyz
750 usd
Undeveloped
regfee + renewal

WeCan////xyz
1995 usd
GD
regfee

Substance///xyz
1995 usd
Afternic
regfee

•••
I have been in to the new gTLDs since day 1. And never registered a .xyz domain because the extension doesn't mean anything. You can't do meaningful combos with .xyz

It is all hype from start to the end. Espacially the registry sold them for 99 cents to grow their reg. numbers compared to other tlds.(hype)

They say it is good in Chinese market, well sorry but Chinese like to create hype - and pump than dump. They did that with some dot com niches and now this...

Token.xyz sold this year for 14999

I highly doubt that it is a valid sale. Go to the website, owner is a domainer.

And he says "We have NOT money, BUT domains cooperate or sell (BTC accept)" on the home page.

First of all I don't think any domainer would pay that money for resale if they are not insane.

Espacially when the owner states "We have NOT money"..

@Lagunaboy where do you get this sale info?

Last edited:
•••
It's always the .xyz threads that bring out the emotions. Love em or hate em, it is what it is.:xf.grin: hope y'all have a good day!

•••
Sad bro, xynames is a pro in less than 2 years, you won't be here in 2 years like you mentioned in another sad thread about having no sales.
Kate always gives solid advice, she has helped me discard pigeon shit names and doesnt even know it.
Feels so good to drop garbage.
Kenny stated we try and keep this business clean when you were making queries about your tm name cbdtwitter.com

Your 3 word performance name is to long, I can come up with 100 variations depending on criteria.

Words of wisdom
The Great Gratz said, "Never cross the street unless there is a reason to do so." Hmmm. What exactly does that mean? Well for one, it said not to waste my time with those that want to waste my time
http://www.ricksblog.com/2018/12/are-you-mentally-lazy/#.XC0S81VKjIU

•••
I'm sure the .xyz extension in the future can grow because of many end users.
I am currently developing the www.cargo.xyz website

best regards

I agree and nice looking site; great to see that it is mobile friendly! Gives my inspiration to maybe develop Dine (xyz).

•••
Last edited:
•••
Some guy is selling them for 10$ each here, he would take 2
This extension is doa, we killed it before normal people even knew what it was. Registry killed it too.
Spammers killed it. Having it's email blacklisted didn't help. I guess you don't value time, and those dollars you could feed a homeless person, not some registry.
Go out into the street and find some real life business using this extension, come back and post when you do
Well said.

•••
According to DNJournal - Non .Com gTLD Year-to-Date Top 100:

NUMBER OF .XYZ SALES

2015: 1 (in top 100)
2016: 21 (in top 100)
2017: 0 (in top 100)
2018: 1 (in top 100)

So it’s obvious that.xyz flourished for just one year. I don’t know if it will make a comeback in 2018, but I doubt that.

•••
I'm sure the .xyz extension in the future can grow because of many end users.
I am currently developing the www.cargo.xyz website

best regards
I have been saying this since the very beginning. The .xyz TLD is here to stay because it has actual end-users on it.

•••
well so far, its more like a flourishing cactus garden. lol. I have a list of .xyz domains no one was buying. lol.

•••
I think for now what you are saying is right, the future of .xyz depends on how Daniel Negari promotes it, the best scenario is that the marketing is working then pushed young people to generate the same consciousness thinking that .xyz is bold and cooler than .com (because mostly they can't afford an appropriate .com domain name so trigger them to start a revolution to pull down the .com), and if that happens, your .xyz domain will become scarcity and valuable. if .xyz don't have that chance I don't know what Gtlds. has the ability to do that.

Last edited:
•••
I agree Bob, .xyz is almost a discount .com or .org with its universal usage.

•••
I agree that promotion by registry, and in particular showing that real businesses are using it in significant ways, is critical to how successful .xyz is going forward.

On the positive side
  • while still tiny compared to legacy, .xyz is doing better than almost all other new gTLDs real use wise
  • having Alphabet on an .xyz is a big plus
  • they have managed to keep abuse really respectable for a long time (see Spamhaus). This is quite the achievement considering that they have continued deep discounting
  • the renewal cost is not unreasonable
  • due to registration numbers, it has more recognition than many of the new gTLDs
  • the fact that it is not an English word helps it be a more universal TLD
On the negative side
  • after years 1-2 not many high value resales
  • a number of good words are premium reserved
  • even compared to registration base, not an impressive number of aftermarket sales in recent years an little indication of strong trend
  • some new extension proponents dislike that the TLD is not a word
How I see it (my opinion)
  • we are unrealistic to expect a sudden increase in sales rate or prices
  • I think we may see a gradual pickup of sales especially in $$$ range
  • correct pricing and reaching the right markets are essential here - I suspect this will be more successful outside the US
  • at low acquisition prices the probabilities may make sense if you can find good words that the registry missed as premium and that have dropped
Bob

Disclosure: I personally have a handful of .xyz, but it is not more than 2% of my entire portfolio. I have one that I may develop. I continue to look at opportunities, and now and then pick up one. I have never sold an .xyz.
That's very wisely opinion, thanks Bob.

•••
•••
Yep I think so . However I spend more on a bottle of water
You get something out of the water - hydration. Xyz domains are just a waste. Just burn your money, at least it will look cool.

•••
Historically, New Gtld's top sales are when the keyword and the extension create a meaningful string. It's very hard to come up with a meaningful string with the .xyz extension. Perhaps Google took the only possible one with abc.xyz. Concluding, I will remind that New Gtld investing should be focused on meaningful strings and not on the extensions.

I think in this sense .xyz is different from most other ngTLDs. As you correctly point out meaningful phrases across dot will not match. The word must be very strong and not available in other general purpose extensions.

•••
I have never received spam from new gTLD extension....and I get tons of spam from .com and .ru domains...maybe it is a local thing when you are located at EU, who knows.

Also I have another observation: the more .com domain names you own, the more spam from new gTLDs you get (at least from what is reported by users on this forum) :)

•••
Personally I have only once ever got spam from xyz, only a handful of times over the past two years from one or two other ngTLDs. Daily I get a dozen or more from .com.

But I don't think my anecdotal experience is relevant. The Spamhaus people protect billions of email accounts, have a staff of I think about 20 and have been in business for almost two decades. When I want abuse information I trust their numbers.

I don't doubt that the penny give away almost 5 years ago was stupid and spiked spam. But for literally years xyz has had very respectable abuse numbers. I think that is what is relevant information.

BTW I am not a significant investor in .xyz with less than one Christmas donation invested in total across a handful of names. It just bothers me when outdated and inaccurate information is repeated so I do my part to try to correct it.

Bob
I was speaking from my experience, which is very different from the Spamhaus numbers. I have no dog in the hunt and wish those that choose to invest in ..xyz all the best.

•••
•••
Thank you for the very informative post, @henrypcyeung ! Lots of great examples!
I see the main applications will be:
  1. 3D along the lines you suggest (I had not realized so much had already happened in that)
  2. xyz as a generic sort of .info type extension for information on a topic (from A to Z)
  3. literacy type applications, like could see it good for children's books, apps etc. building on alphabet idea.
  4. applications where a keyword is available within price range (mainly single word)
What I am less sure but I think it is possible we will begin to see more companies do brandables in .xyz, maybe startups with very little funds but like the idea that Alphabet use it for investor documents, and that there are about 2264 sites in Alexa 1M (1 per 871 registrations, not as good as .com but better than most extensions) they see it being used by companies and that they can get a short name and that xyz has no favoured language, region or culture.

The promoters like it as generation xyz applications but frankly I don't see that as meaning much.

Anyway, thanks for the superb 3D real use cases.I tried to find some names that would be good for 3D positioning a few months ago, but everything I tried seemed gone.

Bob

•••
If they keep cheaper renewals like .top registry, it would kill the extension by spammers.
Registry never changed their premium pricing or premium domains from the beginning(like some other registries .co)

•••
this year I managed to sell the domain: awal.xyz I got it for $ 1.
and now awal.xyz has become a very good website.

in my opinion the .xyz domain in 2019 the price can go up because many end users are developing it.

best regards

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back