Dynadot

poll Will any tld ever surpass .COM registration?

NameSilo
Watch

Will any tld ever surpass .COM registrations?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Yes

votes
    15.1%
  • No

votes
    84.9%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Impact
Do you think there is ever going to be any extension that will surpass .COM, even at a price like $0.01 or something?
Clearly, .COM has the appeal and the first mover advantage, so my answer would be No.

Your thoughts and reasoning?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I considered domain is part of technology so anything could happen, but it won’t die like Kodak.
The worst case it became pencil and paper’s position while Microsoft published Microsoft Words.

Last edited:
•••
•••
What if ICANN goes to non-extension domains? Google can have just Google resolve to their website. Microsoft can resolve to the Microsoft website. Etc

•••
What if ICANN goes to non-extension domains? Google can have just Google resolve to their website. Microsoft can resolve to the Microsoft website. Etc

It would be a limited number of domains for the current DNS system, say, less than 1,000, probably less than 100. A few non-extension domains wouldn't affect .com.

"non-extension domain" is named root domain in DNS, in fact "non-extension domain" is an extension like com, net when you remove "example" from "example.com", "com" becomes a "non-extension domain". After a possible "non-extension domains" flow we would have max 1,000 extra extensions without domain name, I don't think more than 1,000. Additionally those extensions would likely not open for public registrations as they are also TM. It would have no effect.

•••
I wonder how many of these .tk domains are really in use. I guess a very small part. I think it is almost five years I don't visit a .tk domain. Years ago sometimes happened. I may be wrong as they may still be widely used in other parts of the world...

Last edited:
•••
•••
I wonder how many of these .tk domains are really in use. I guess a very small part. I think it is almost five years I don't visit a .tk domain. Years ago sometimes happened. I may be wrong as they may still be widely used in other parts of the world...
No one's using .tx.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back