IT.COM

opinion Will Bitcoin Eventually Be Used for End User Domain Transactions?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

News

Hand-picked NewsTop Member
Impact
I had a very interesting exchange of comments with a reader who is a bitcoin enthusiast a few days ago. While I’m not a bitcoin/crypto pro, I am reasonably knowledgeable and since I’m a domainer as well, I can’t help but wonder whether bitcoin will eventually become mainstream enough to be used for end user transactions.
The pros are very, very juicy but on the other hand, there are cons as well and I’d say the main con is represented by the fact that using bitcoin the way it’s supposed to be used is hard. Even for someone reasonably tech-savvy like myself, there’s a bit of a learning process involved. Understanding how bitcoin works, what a wallet is, what the difference between an online wallet and a paper wallet is and so on.
A tricky situation but I for one can’t possibly envision how end users could start adopting bitcoin unless everything is overly-simplified for them....
Read More

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
ummm short answer? YES! they already do it for Real Estate.

•••
we are looking into accepting bitcoin for domains through stripe. it would be as easy as buying with paypal or cc

•••
I would say it's a huge step in the right diretion...

It's only a matter of time now for BTC and ETH to be acceptable payment methods just about everywhere.

•••
I would say it's a huge step in the right diretion...

It's only a matter of time now for BTC and ETH to be acceptable payment methods just about everywhere.
we are always listening and after I want to monitize my names and sell faster its I want to buy with bitcoin...

•••
we are always listening and after I want to monitize my names and sell faster its I want to buy with bitcoin...

Absolutley bro, kudos to you guys for having the vision and insight to want to adopt this quickly.

I would prefer hands down BTC and ETH payments for my domains over any other payment method.

•••
I would love to offer lite, btc and ether...most gateways only support btc

•••
I would love to offer lite, btc and ether...most gateways only support btc

Yep, for now :) I'm hoping that soon ETH will be accepted on most gateways too.

•••
ether is an amazing asset that many coins are based off of...
https://coinmarketcap.com/assets/

check this solution that brings smart contracts to the physical world
slock.it
looooove ether...

•••
•••
golem also very cool...the Air BnB of computer processors.

•••
Bitcoin does already get used for many transactions, which in itself surprised a lot of people including myself. It seems to be quite well accepted in Europe especially.

•••
Bitcoin does already get used for many transactions, which in itself surprised a lot of people including myself. It seems to be quite well accepted in Europe especially.

Yeah it's being accepted in many places at the moment.... Best part is that we can now use Bitcoin Debit cards...so u can buy anything with Bitcoin.. like a Visa and Mastercard... you can also withdraw cash at an ATM :)

•••
I can report that we have had many domain sales in our Marketplace using Bitcoin. This has grown from just 1-2 sales a month to nearly 10-15 per month in the last year. As the operators of our Marketplace, we find there are several advantages to Bitcoin sales, most notably the fact that charge backs and processing fees are non-issues. This allows us to pay Sellers out immediately without the standard 7-day waiting period for sales from other sources (credit/debit cards, PayPal, etc.).

•••
I can report that we have had many domain sales in our Marketplace using Bitcoin. This has grown from just 1-2 sales a month to nearly 10-15 per month in the last year. As the operators of our Marketplace, we find there are several advantages to Bitcoin sales, most notably the fact that charge backs and processing fees are non-issues. This allows us to pay Sellers out immediately without the standard 7-day waiting period for sales from other sources (credit/debit cards, PayPal, etc.).

Hmmm....now this, is something I didn't know you guys offered! :)

Going to go log into my NameSilo account now check whats plotting with the marketplace...

Just to clarify, I can list domains that may not be registered at Namesilo on the Namesilo marketplace as well, right?

Also, what % of the sale is the success fee?

•••
Hmmm....now this, is something I didn't know you guys offered! :)

Going to go log into my NameSilo account now check whats plotting with the marketplace...

Just to clarify, I can list domains that may not be registered at Namesilo on the Namesilo marketplace as well, right?

Also, what % of the sale is the success fee?

Hello. Yes, we list Bitcoin as one of the payment options here: https://www.namesilo.com/Support/Marketplace. I am sorry, but we do not currently permit selling domains not registered with us in our Marketplace. Our success fee is 7.5%.

Last edited:
•••
I'd prefer to asccept Bitcoin for name sales, but so far I haven't found any buyers.

The ability to use multiple signatures, and various other options makes Bitcoin a good alternative to escrow. Bitcoin really is intelligent money.

•••
I don't see why not. You can get paid for parking services with bitcoin at bodis.

•••
I've been watching DNxBTC.com for "full escrow" (push only and only certain registrars) starting at about $5 equiv in BTC. They just launched DNxETH.com for ETH which is a couple of bucks cheaper!

Anybody tried them? I'm tempted to give the ETH site a go...

Last edited:
•••
The answer is yes...already happening. Bitcoin over paypal for sure in my world.

•••
Funny time this thread just was posted.
I was just asked to pay for a domain with bitcoin and I don't have any btc/eth....yet.

So I spoke with a friend who is a huge bitcoin afficianado and he tells me the easiest thing to do is open up an account over at coinbase.

Just passing this info on to anyone reading in case this happens to you. It always sucks to miss a sale/purchase for any reason and these btc/eth seem like they are here to stay.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back