Dynadot

tips Why you should not use SMS for 2-step domain account verification! - A lesson by MapleDots

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

MapleDots

Account Closed (Requested)
Impact
Picture0025.png

The 2-Step Verification GoDaddy uses makes the account very secure and I advise every domainer who has even one valuable domain in their GoDaddy account to use it. I use an authenticator app instead off a text message because it is far more secure than a text message.

Let me explain the details of the security for you...

With sms notification your phone will get a sms message with the code and you punch it in to login to your account. There are a couple of reasons why this might prove to be problematic.....

Lets just pretend you had a roommate and he wanted one of your domains, it would be very possible for him to steal it from you. With my system he would not be able to do so.

Lets begin...

Your roommate stays up until you go to bed (apply it to other circumstances hotel rooms etc) and gets access to your godaddy account because your browser automatically fills in the password. He then sees you need an sms code so he simply looks at your phone and enters it in and voila he now has access to your account. Smarter domainers will not display sensitive information on their lock screen but the fact is most people do. There is an option to turn that off though.

Here is my advice...

Use the authenticator app option instead because it is much more secure. So same circumstance but instead of an sms message my roommate now gets a prompt to enter the authentication code. He goes to my phone and would have to unlock it to get access to my authenticator program. Lets pretend for a second the roommate even has my unlock code. He now has to open my autehnticator app with another security code before he can ever see that login code. The security measures are so immense that even the people I know the best and am the most trusting of would never have access to my account.

So you would think that is the most secure right? ---- Wrong

One more step...

GoDaddy is an example of what not do do on the login screen, they mean well but are still making one security mistake. You notice GoDaddy asks you to name the app you picked as your authentiocator app and most people will do as in the picture above and say "Google Authenticator" or whatever app they use. That is another security trap I personally would not fall into. Make sure to name it something other than the app you actually use because you also do not want to tell a possible hacker what program you use.

Take the security to the absolute max....

I named my Authenticator app Google Authenticator and I use a completely different program. This throws a possible hacker a false curve ball. In my case even if a roommate got access to my phone and knew my unlock code he would now have to have the unlock code to my authentification program as well but I take it even further, I have a few of them loaded on my phone and he would try the google autenticator first because it is named on my login screen but he would be completely wrong because I use a different one.

So you see, there are always ways to dramatically increase the security of your account.

You would think this is as far as security goes right?

Wrong again.....

Apply the above to your email as well and you will be secure!!!

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
For SMS code, I think we should use a phone that has no Internet. (Phone phishing)

•••
•••
•••
If you want to dramatically increase the security of your account.
The most simple way is to use a separate laptop / desktop for domaining and encrypted the whole hdd.:xf.grin:

•••
If you want to dramatically increase the security of your account.
The most simple way is to use a separate laptop / desktop for domaining and encrypted the whole hdd.:xf.grin:

That does not protect the account itself, just the info on the laptop. Remember the account sits at your registrar so you still have to put safety protocols in place regardless of what device you are using.

•••
•••
Show attachment 88979

The 2-Step Verification GoDaddy uses makes the account very secure and I advise every domainer who has even one valuable domain in their GoDaddy account to use it. I use an authenticator app instead off a text message because it is far more secure than a text message.

Let me explain the details of the security for you...

With sms notification your phone will get a sms message with the code and you punch it in to login to your account. There are a couple of reasons why this might prove to be problematic.....

Lets just pretend you had a roommate and he wanted one of your domains, it would be very possible for him to steal it from you. With my system he would not be able to do so.

Lets begin...

Your roommate stays up until you go to bed (apply it to other circumstances hotel rooms etc) and gets access to your godaddy account because your browser automatically fills in the password. He then sees you need an sms code so he simply looks at your phone and enters it in and voila he now has access to your account. Smarter domainers will not display sensitive information on their lock screen but the fact is most people do. There is an option to turn that off though.

Here is my advice...

Use the authenticator app option instead because it is much more secure. So same circumstance but instead of an sms message my roommate now gets a prompt to enter the authentication code. He goes to my phone and would have to unlock it to get access to my authenticator program. Lets pretend for a second the roommate even has my unlock code. He now has to open my autehnticator app with another security code before he can ever see that login code. The security measures are so immense that even the people I know the best and am the most trusting of would never have access to my account.

So you would think that is the most secure right? ---- Wrong

One more step...

GoDaddy is an example of what not do do on the login screen, they mean well but are still making one security mistake. You notice GoDaddy asks you to name the app you picked as your authentiocator app and most people will do as in the picture above and say "Google Authenticator" or whatever app they use. That is another security trap I personally would not fall into. Make sure to name it something other than the app you actually use because you also do not want to tell a possible hacker what program you use.

Take the security to the absolute max....

I named my Authenticator app Google Authenticator and I use a completely different program. This throws a possible hacker a false curve ball. In my case even if a roommate got access to my phone and knew my unlock code he would now have to have the unlock code to my authentification program as well but I take it even further, I have a few of them loaded on my phone and he would try the google autenticator first because it is named on my login screen but he would be completely wrong because I use a different one.

So you see, there are always ways to dramatically increase the security of your account.

You would think this is as far as security goes right?

Wrong again.....

Apply the above to your email as well and you will be secure!!!

you really should get another room mate
and not use godaddy...

•••
Don't give your roommates any access, why in the first place your roommates would know anything about your account?

Create two accounts in your Computer OS, one for serious things like domaining and banking, where you can save passwords etc. and other account should be without password so that your roommates can access anything he like without knowing the passwords.

Protect the first account with secure and strong password, or even with MS account if you use Windows.

Last edited:
•••
Happy to see someone posted this. Security is all about redundancy, the more redundant and more hoops you have to go through to get to your target, the more difficult it is.

•••
No roommates guys, it's an example that can be applied to hotel rooms, it can apply if someone finds your phone etc.

Security is always a worst case scenario and if your domains are worth a lot of money you should apply the same security as on your bank account.

•••
I take my phone to bed with me. Just to add yet another level of security :)

•••
The biggest issue here is that go daddy asks you to name the app. In my example picture I named it google authenticator. In this case I just gave a would be crook a vital clue.

HeHe

Little does he know....... shhhh.... I don't actually use that app :-P

•••
If you want to be safe I think you shouldn't be saving your login credentials in your browser in the first place.

•••
If you want to be safe I think you shouldn't be saving your login credentials in your browser in the first place.

That's another good point, I personally use a password program with 2 factor but I did forget to mention that. Good point @CarlosN

•••
Use an app which hides the content of notifications. I think avast does it.

•••
Use an app which hides the content of notifications. I think avast does it.

www.LastPass.com is probably one of the best password programs and you can even use an onscreen keyboard to enter the password via touch or the mouse. Useful if you are using a computer and you think there could be a key logger. Assume that with any public computer anyways.

•••
Talking of password programs. I hate Iolo's (System Mechanic) password program. It gets in the way and is ugly. I love Avast's password program. It doesn't get in the way, it does what it's supposed to do, and it's nice looking. I did try LastPass, but I forgot what I didn't like about it.

Last edited:
•••

This is true. However it beats having a paper list sitting on your desk with 1000 passwords, which gets scribbled on, coffee spilt on it, looks generally grubby most of the time, lost in a fire or flood etc, stolen. Can't find, or takes ages to find, the password you need most of the time, maintaining the database manually, and cannot remember the password of the password locked file when you need to reproduce it :)

Oh.Also. I take my NUC out with me when I watch a game or go out to dinner. In case I get burgled :) It's a good job I don't have any dangerous sports, like rock climbing :) But I will intervene, if I see a little old lady being abused :(

Last edited:
•••
Was out for lunch with a prominent domainer the other day. He got up to go to the bathroom and left his phone on the table. Sure enough a sms came in and I could see sensitive information.

After the meeting I emailed him this topic.

•••
At some point hyper security becomes more trouble than it’s worth. Time is money too and I can’t be robbed of too much time every time I login to something or other.

Two factor authentication is good enough for me. No one I don’t trust is going to get access to the phone number I use for it or even know what that number is.

Last edited:
•••
At some point hyper security becomes more trouble than it’s worth. Time is money too and I can’t be robbed of time every time I login to something or other.

Two factor authentication is good enough for me. No one I don’t trust is going to get access to the phone number I use for it or even know what that number is.

Have you ever misplaced your phone?
You can have the best password possible but if your godaddy verification code displays on the lock screen you are risking your high end domains.

Remember it is not the stranger finding your phone you should be worried about, it's the person that knows you have a domain and they want it that is of greatest concern. Most theft occurs by people we trust and in those cases they can have more access to information than you realize.

I am not talking about using an authenticator program for everything but if you own a lot of high value domains it is just an extra step to assure you never lose one.

•••
Have you ever misplaced your phone?
You can have the best password possible but if your godaddy verification code displays on the lock screen you are risking your high end domains.

Remember it is not the stranger finding your phone you should be worried about, it's the person that knows you have a domain and they want it that is of greatest concern. Most theft occurs by people we trust and in those cases they can have more access to information than you realize.

I am not talking about using an authenticator program for everything but if you own a lot of high value domains it is just an extra step to assure you never lose one.
Seriously? You are more worried about your "friend" stealing from you then some random stranger? If thats the case then you need new friends not a special app.

•••
Seriously? You are more worried about your "friend" stealing from you then some random stranger? If thats the case then you need new friends not a special app.

It's a tutorial for everyone, and yes I have had trusted employees who I considered friends steal considerable amounts of cash and assets. In fact one person hijacked a vital company domain name.

In the end I got things back but it did teach me to not let my guard down. It's always the person you least expect, that person that knows how your security works that ends up taking advantage.

I sincerely hope it never happens to you because trust me it sucks to be on the receiving end of betrayal.

•••
Wasn't there an article somewhere in the Firefox in-browser "news feed" (Pocket) sometime ago saying that a hacker doesn't even need physical access to the phone? Just grab personal info from social media or whois or somewhere, steal the number from the telco company itself, and gain instant access to... just about everything connected to the phone attached to that number

2-factor is already hopeless long ago

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back