Dynadot

new gtlds Why "the new gTLDs haters" lose hours and hours in new gTLD discussions???

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Wass

Established Member
Impact
Why "the new gTLDs haters" lose hours and hours in new gTLD discussions???

If there is a bad news for new gTLDs, "the new gTLDs haters" tell us that the news is true...
If there is a good news for new gTLDs, "the new gTLDs haters" tell us that the news is false...

And these haters work like as a team...
And I have the feeling that the new gTLD discussions are very very very important for them. Why???

Why they lose so much time if they are not investors????

If you are a new gTLD hater, this question is for you:
Why you lose hours and hours in new gTLDs discussions???
And why this topic is very important for you???
Of course, you know why but you can not tell us the truth... :)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I believe most negative comments are directed at threads that hype gTLDs as a whole.

Threads such as "The future will be good" are a perfect example of that. The current state of gTLDs is that 97-98% of them are failing miserably. With more gTLDs being released soon I personally think this will become worse. It's all about demand and supply. The supply keeps increasing dramatically yet the demand stayed more or less the same for the last 2.5 years. So when someone claims gTLDs in general will perform well in the future you are bound to get a lot of negative comments on that hype. Even from people who actually invested in gTLDs.

I noticed some gTLD investors stating registration numbers as proof that the gTLDs are performing well. I personally disagree that registration numbers are a valid indicator to see if a gTLD is performing well but let's look at the numbers anyways:
If you go https://ntldstats.com/ anyone can see for themselves that out of 1176 released TLDs there are around 23.5 million registrations (ignoring the fact that most of those registrations are the result from the $0.01 -$1 promos from several of the new gTLDs). That number looks good at first glance until you realize this is an average of only 19,900 registrations per TLD . If .CO would be released 2 years ago and it only had 19.9K registrations after those 2 years I'm sure all gTLD lovers would agree that it's performing really badly. Yet when the gTLDs as a whole are performing like this somehow you still see hype threads arising that claim the future for gTLDs as a whole looks bright. :-/

Then there's the gTLD aftermarket, or lack thereof. For a domainer a (domainer) aftermarket is the only indicator that should matter if a gTLD is worth investing in. Without an aftermarket you won't make any sales. Period.
Some people are selling gTLDs yes, but most are not able to. The exception is not the rule. The only high figure sales "worth" mentioning are the ones from the registries. The reason for this is simple: gTLDs are not domainer friendly. They were created to make ICANN and the registries money, but not domainers. With the new gTLDs the registries are the new domainers. Most gTLD combinations that make sense are either reserved or premium priced.

Sure I agree that you can still find some good gTLD combinations that make sense and at a regular price. But as 97-98% of gTLDs are currently failing you will want to make sure that those "gems" that you find are in a gTLD that you know will have a decent aftermarket in the future. The thing is.. There's no way to know this. For example I will buy a couple of .web domains and .blog domains in the near future because I think they have a chance to end up being a good competitor to .net and .org. Because I believe that the registries behind .blog and .web have the marketing skills to make them perform better than most other gTLDs. Am I certain of this? Of course not. .Web and .Blog may perform terribly in the future for all I know. But as my portfolio is 98% .com I don't have much to lose if I turn out to be wrong. So if you want to invest in gTLDs I think it's crucial that you have plenty of extensions that have a proven aftermarket in your portfolio as well, to fall back on if it doesn't pan out (.com or certain ccTLDs would be my best bet).

And to @Wass : If you want less negativity towards new gTLDs then my advice to you is to stop hyping all of them as a whole. I'm confident that if you would create a thread on how, according to you, you think a certain specific gTLD will perform well in your opinion that the amount of negativity you will face will be a whole lot less. That's my advice to you if you want to sound more credible. Most people see through hype easily. And calling people who disagree with you "haters with an agenda" won't help your case either imo.

Last edited:
•••
There is no conspiracy. This is a discussion forum.
People are telling you what they think. If they see flawed thinking floating around - they will make a counter-argument and discuss.

Please people, stop with the nonsense idea that veteran domainers are defensive because they are trying to 'protect' their investments. The defensive people are those hyping up new extensions in spite of their awful performance.

Domainers do not dictate end user choices. The success or failure of new extensions will not be decided by us. But we are in good position to observe (and hopefully predict) the trends.

PS: you can tell that NP is a forum with many newbies, because on other forums new extensions are hardly being discussed. The less experienced generally are the more excited with new extensions.

•••
I am not saying that members are stupid, but some are clearly inexperienced, for instance quoting two registry sales as evidence that new extensions are doing well. By that measure, every TLD is doing well and is presumably investment-worthy.

Now buying a few new TLDs can be justified if you are going to use them, or for speculation.
Playing the lottery on the other hand is neither smart nor dumb. It's just speculation. It's not an investment. There is a huge difference, which apparently isn't obvious to all.

•••
Well, not everyone who writes against gTLDs is 'new gTLD Hater'! There are many people at NP who write their honest opinion.

•••
Hey, I've got a question for all of you both haters and lovers :)

Why "the new gTLDs haters" and "the new gTLD lovers" lose hours and hours, energy and brainpower to participate in useless and pointless threads like this one ???

I have news for you all...there will always be "haters" and "lovers" anywhere no matter what ... it's just human nature FFS ! :)

Some people like, others dislike and others don't give a damn ...it's always been like that and will always be like that ...now you all grow up, close this crappy thread and play nice :)

•••
I own large quantity of gtld's. and .com, good ones many purchased in EAP, and others off the reserve list EAP's.

The early GTLD releases you could get strong keywords at low renewal, in 2016 that is a thing of the past.

in 2014 had I put that money in .com, I would be way ahead, the issue with GTLD's for the most part is that many of the potential buyers are thinking outside the box. They see GTLD's as alternative to a taken domain. When they realize they are in the same boat, they are already thinking outside the box, and many registries give 1000 different options, they just pick something else, and bypass your potential sale, adding another year at a premium renewal.

in 2016 if you want a category killer you are looking at a high 3 figure, 4 figure renewal on it, in most cases the matching .com is with a warehouse company, and in the low to mid 4 figures still unbought.

Another issue is say you have a $250 renewal, say it takes 5 years to render a decent end user offer, the end user is not going to care to compensate you for carrying costs during the past 5 years, they might throw a $1-2K offer your way, which is really a loss to break even for a high amount of risk.

If you have listened closely most of the registry operators have quietly said gtld's are not for domain investors for the most part, and with recent releases some costing $2,xxx per year they are backing up those statements. Others are point blank, and they do not want domainers buying into their extensions.

The beauty of .com whether is is auto.com, or abcdef.com the market sets the price, all against the same $8.xx renewal. It is a natural supply, and demand marketplace, where gtld's are not as natural, and with every almost, or sounds like it dilutes your investment, and your potential end user base.

I think GTLD operators might have let names slip early on in 2014/2015, but have gotten smart, and become the domainer in themselves in 2016.

I know people tend to go the way of what is in their best interest, but I am invested in both, and I see gtlds currently digging into my cashflow in a negative light when they come up for renewals due to high renewal fees, and lower sell thru rates.

If you got some good keywords early on, or searched some trending keywords that the registry missed to mark premium you have a better chance of getting a rate of return.

I see ZapNano is being very defensive, but maybe he can share his recent sales in GTLD's, this is the best way to shut up skeptics.

•••
Wow!! You have many names; you scared me :)

My .xyz domain names, 4000+ numbers cost me only $1.88/each, I sold approx. 350 names for $$$$$$ already.
Why I have to keep my old tlds with me for years???. I hand registered several .com domains in 2005 and kept with me for 10 years, and I could not sell any of the names.

I am a domainer and I dont care about tlds! If there are buyers for .xyz, I register .xyz and keep with me for good return. Nowadays I get offers for my xyz domains everyday. I am happy with ngtlds..

I can't buy/register a decent .com/.net for $1.88 now, I have to spend $$$$$ for a good .com domain and still there is no guarantee to resell the name for profit!.

•••
.com can still be used on any none specific business title; this is just my opinion.

Example: Pay.money VS. Pay.com
pay(.)com is better than pay(.)money, BUT pay(.)money is better than paymoney(.)com!

•••
If your business is all about TV and coffee, which one you rather used:

watch.com or watch.tv
Drink.com or drink.coffee

I think it's best to compare watch.tv to watchtv.com and not to watch.com.
Same for drink.coffee. Compare that one to drinkcoffee.com and not to drink.com.

Watch.com and drink.com are worth millions imo and can be used for tons of things. I like the domains in your example but let's face it: watch.tv and drink.coffee are not worth millions and can be used for one thing only (the first one for some tv site and the second one for some coffee related site).

Last edited:
•••
Why are you opening threads to discredit everyone who disagrees with you?

•••
its easy to get caught up when people make such foolish statements that some might take seriously.

Last edited:
•••
Personally I'm a new gTLDs investor: that's why I'm here for hours and hours.
This isn't a thread about gTLDs but rather a thread about how you have issues with people posting negative gTLD comments in other threads. So my question remains "Why are you losing hours with creating and responding to this thread?"

•••
I think a lot of members here have some valid concerns about NGTLDs. Some though just have a fear of NGTLDs oozing from them. I can understand it, if they do take off, a lot of people will have a harder time selling their mediocre .com names.

•••
The majority of new gtlds are quite awful and basically have no chance of success apart from a few dollars to the registrars/ registries from a large number of buyers -mainly domainers.

There are just a few that have become accepted,some for different reasons than others. In general I don't prefer them over .com or a number of cctld that I think are superior.

I certainly don't "hate" them which is a strange description, I simply prefer other extensions. That said I am probably one of the few domainers apart from the in crowd that has actually made a good profit from gtld, but that was simply business and luck knowing there would likely be buyers for the right combos.

•••
If you are a lover of nGTLDs (.online to be precise), I have several number of them that are good...you can contact me. I will be dumping them into trash bin. It's either I don't know where to sell them or there are no end buyers. Why should I spend what is enough to renew a .com for 4 years on .online yearly rent? I love nGTLDs but I hate registries' greed.

•••
Why "the new gTLDs haters" lose hours and hours in new gTLD discussions???

If there is a bad news for new gTLDs, "the new gTLDs haters" tell us that the news is true...
If there is a good news for new gTLDs, "the new gTLDs haters" tell us that the news is false...

And these haters work like as a team...
And I have the feeling that the new gTLD discussions are very very very important for them. Why???

Why they lose so much time if they are not investors????

If you are a new gTLD hater, this question is for you:
Why you lose hours and hours in new gTLDs discussions???
And why this topic is very important for you???
Of course, you know why but you can not tell us the truth... :)
I do not think there really exists anything like real new gTLDs haters. Still I have noticed that few members here (maybe 5 people) are literally hijacking all threads related to new gTLDs and bash them with tens/hundreds of negative comments. Why they do it, is unclear to me, but there are few options I can think of:

1. They want to help us (those who like and invest into new gTLDs) so "we do not loose our money" (at least this is official explanation which I have read several times). If this is so, they might really truly believe that (roughly said) .com will be here forever, only .com, and nothing else then .com. This opinion I do not share at all, but I would at least appreciate the motives behind, and would respect it.

2. Another option is that they might be heavily invested in .com or some other "older" TLDs. Some of them are in business for years, and I am sure they invested significant effort and energy in building large portfolios. Every domainer wants to sell his domains, and if I would own huge .com porfolio, it is not very probable I would like to see that many people start to be interesting in something different. Still, I am not sure whether I would start to bash new things with such a intensity - I do not know, I am not in this position.

3. There is also possibility that they bash new gTLDs, but silently buy them. You do not need to buy only at your name, you can buy at name of your relatives, your company name, use identity protection services, etc so it is impossible to find out. From business perspective, it is quite efficient tactic to bash great new gTLD names, so you can then buy them cheaply from other members, mainly from young people, students or those who can not afford to keep porfolio for longer then 1 year. I myself managed to buy here at NamePros some great names at absurdly cheap price. So I know people have some doubts about them, and let their great names go very cheaply, just because they were not able to resell them within 1 year from purchase. And they also probably were reading too much negative comments.

I hope people truly care here, and that most people here are fair and are putting up their true opinions, so in case they believe in ".com only", they go according option 1. If options 2 and 3 are the case, that would be very sad, but we live in real world and biased opinions are part of it. I do not mind different opinions, but I need to admit I have pushed "ignore button" for few members here, as I do not wish to read same negativity about new gTLDs again and again produced just from few people. It also feels very good when I see that some members here, even young people, students, acquired some great new gTLD names for very good price..I believe many of them are now building solid cores for their future portfolios, which is excellent :)

•••
To get good new gTLDs you'll will have to spend time looking for them. I just sold my 25th new gTLD in 2016. I only count the sales starting from $XXX, and above.

I don't love or hate them more than .COM names, or any digital commodities, for that matter. I just try to buy good ones cheap and sell them for a higher price. Just as any business model.

•••
I think they are fake sale, coz they aren't.com :)

Any auction data from China should be heavily scrutinized before taking it at face value. Perhaps you're not familiar with how auctions operate in China?

Both the buyer and seller have the option of walking away from the sale for a small fee.

Last edited:
•••
Cant lose hours here but to break it down, I think it comes as follows.

A lot of people are here to teach, as well as LEARN.

Its easy for a day one domainer to think they hit the jackpot when they see - Rollercoasters.jigilypuffs and they think they just got a one word domain, and they relate it to a rollercoasters.com

The make up of any good argument is both sides of the coin. Extensions are only to be played with if you are to the level where you know what your doing, which is not what i am claiming, (I wont be one for say 3 5 more years, and i cant wait to see that point, however if I go for a 30 cent promo which will renew at 50 on somthing so crazy, I will never see that day.

The way people that have made it work is that they go for one good domain at a time, that they can promote to businesses for a reason. - This relates to any factors, (Length, history, traffic etc.)

Most importantly they go for things that are sellable by action, not on fate. While yzx.xyz might sell for alot, No sustainable business has other extensions than .com / net / org (even info can be considered a main ext) but lets break it down,

If you go to forbes and look at say the top 2000, I am almost positive you will find very little with even .net or org , let alone .kiwi.

Another thing is (in my own opinion) These domains are worthless because say you bought sell.kiwi and paid a 250 dollar premium, your name is no more valuable than the other sell."extension" That drop every single day,

It's like asking why someone is using facebook instead of an unknown network, sure furture can hold the key as we have seen with facebook, but companys dont want random extensions, its all about that "Radio pitch" Good luck if you just got a lawyer to defend you from NYCCheapLawyers.bingo

One last thing, think first hand , before you were a domainer...

If you saw a product you want etc, You type that brand ....com , what if you own anthropology.xyz, could you ever see yourself in a better position than anthropology.com?

Lastly - This is added after, no two extensions mean the same thing... Auctions is cool, if your doing auctions, but this is not as easy when you look at some of the others. .co is not just a cool shortened version of com it stands for Columbia. If you have a business that is not from columbia, you are out of luck, as you will not get any traffic, other than typo mistakes.

You are looked at by google as a columbian website, and sadly, disregaurded. Com is age old, Sure there can be a breakout, but its not likely.

Last edited:
•••
Why do you waste hours hating on everyone who disagrees with you?

•••
I used to get into these debates all the time about why I think some new gtld's are good but I noticed it ends going back and forward forever.... the people who hate them are set in their belief system and those of us who are fans (I'm a fan of some of the new gTLDS - not all of them) are adamant that they will succeed...

Either way we don't know what the future holds, we can only speculate but at the end of the day the possibilities are endless. They may fall or they may rise.... who knows

Last edited:
•••
I'm not a gtld hater or any other extension but I'm beginning to be a emoji hater!

•••
If you come from another planet, I think you prefer Pay.money to Pay.com.
Of course, for humans, the prestige of the dot com is still present.
It is true, not all new gTLDs are great, yes there are stupid new gTLDs but there are also lots of great new gTLDs with great potential.
It is also true that not all 126 million .coms are great. There are also millions of stupid .coms.
Anyway, I personally do not believe that new gTLDs are enemies of .coms: Walking on parallel roads...

•••
Union of Concerned Scientists Study New gTLDs

Congress Approves Recommendation: “We are concerned, something must be done.”

CAMBRIDGE (August 22, 2016) — The Union of Concerned Scientists (UCS) today released surveillance video of a man engaged in online debate about new gTLDs. The audio is garbled but witnesses heard something about dot horse. The suspect was apprehended by federal marshals and transferred to a CIA black site for enhanced interrogation to extract his namepros username. As a precautionary measure the DOJ and IRS issued international warrants and asset seizures for all new gTLD registrants.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back