IT.COM

domains Why tech companies change names

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Lox

____Top Member
Impact
“When one brand is too big a part of your main product, like Facebook, it becomes dangerous,” said Fabian Geyrhalter, principal at branding consultancy Finien. “If you have five products, and you name your main brand after one product, you might end up having a difficulty when that one product gets bad press.”

Shorter names in particular are also a status symbol often reserved for tech giants looking to make their brands memorable. And as companies have started to grow out of what Fernandez calls their “word smash era,” startups naming themselves things like “thisbook and that-ly” will lose popularity, he said. Adding on an interesting top-level domain to a url, such as Block and Alphabet’s websites ending in “.xyz,” also gives a tech company some clout.

“It’s easy to score a domain like scoootr.com,” Fernandez said. “Shorter names are desirable as they can be easier to tap into your browser. A common short word is often more of a luxury for large tech companies who have the cash on hand to purchase those short URLs.”

Read more

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Hard to trust someone with branding advice from a company that thinks that "Finien" is a good name. How do you pronounce it? It certainly wouldn't pass the radio test.

He mentions the exceptions about other extensions when he should focus on the companies that ended up buying the dotcom once they were able to. Why did they do that?

I could name many more things that he says that in my opinion is completely wrong and DANGEROUS (will use his choice of words) advice to businesses.

If you are a business in need of brand advice, post on this forum, you will get great advice.

•••
Hard to trust someone with branding advice from a company that thinks that "Finien" is a good name. How do you pronounce it? It certainly wouldn't pass the radio test.

-ien; pluralization suffix

•••
•••
•••

He mentions the exceptions about other extensions when he should focus on the companies that ended up buying the dotcom once they were able to. Why did they do that?

I could name many more things that he says that in my opinion is completely wrong and DANGEROUS (will use his choice of words) advice to businesses.

If you are a business in need of brand advice, post on this forum, you will get great advice.
talk about radio test
i wonder Web3 or WebThree which com is better in radio test?

•••
So when a company becomes stronger and bigger, it needs to divide its products into completely independent companies and use different domain names

•••
Back