Dynadot

discuss Why so many good domains dropped?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

ThatNameGuy

Top Member
Impact
My portfolio is loaded with domains that in many cases had been registered according to Hosterstats for 10 to 15 to 20 years since '2000:xf.rolleyes:

I'll just provide 2 examples of the last two domains I hand reg'd; RxCPR.:xf.smile: and Ybitch.:xf.wink:.

These art the types of names that sell for in the thousands of dollars, yet the owners couldn't afford to renew the name for $10:xf.frown: Is it a case of their loss and my gain or is something else going on here?

Regardless of what anyone says, I know these names have value greater than what I paid. What gives?

Opinions appreciated:xf.smile:

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Good is subjective.

But this could have been mistake.

•••
The budget of most people (including developers and small businesses) looking to register a domain name is under $50.

•••
The budget of most people (including developers and small businesses) looking to register a domain name is under $50.
I hear ya....that's why the general public and "end users" need to be educated on the value of domains. I can register domains all day long that are equivalent to those selling for 2, 3, and 4K, but few know enough about this industry to appreciate value:xf.frown:

•••
I seen names being dropped that belonged to businesses that went out of business. Some names im sure also dropped because the owner died.

Sometimes a person purchased a name and paid for 10 years, since then they changed their email address and they didn't get any renewal info.

About 15 million names drop a month, think about all the hopes and dreams many of those names were attached to at some point.

•••
I seen names being dropped that belonged to businesses that went out of business. Some names im sure also dropped because the owner died.

Sometimes a person purchased a name and paid for 10 years, since then they changed their email address and they didn't get any renewal info.

About 15 million names drop a month, think about all the hopes and dreams many of those names were attached to at some point.
Thanks for your response, and it was excellent. It says to me you've been around this industry for a while, and you're very perceptive(y)

I can't tell you how many times I've registered names that I'm shaking my head wondering why this name is available? It almost makes me want to start a marketplace titled ReRegDomains.com. It sort of reminds me of the domain WeSellUsedCars.com that sold for $10,000 back in February.

So on occasion, you probably agree that someone else's loss is someone else's gain:xf.wink:

Thanks for sharing your thoughts while I keep searching for more of those diamonds in the rough:xf.grin:

•••
These art the types of names that sell for in the thousands of dollars, yet the owners couldn't afford to renew the name for $10:xf.frown: Is it a case of their loss and my gain or is something else going on here?

It certainly is not always so simple. Whilst some did not renew because of money, others may have dropped the domain because it is penalized by Google. You definitely want to do your research before buying any dropped domain.

•••
If a domain had been registered since 2000 and never found an end-user, are you sure it's a great name...?

If nobody wanted to catch the drop, and no business wanted to use it for the past however many decades, maybe you should check your premise?

Edit: Just read the part of your post that says "Regardless of what anybody says..." lol so why even bother?

You've decided that you're the only person on Earth who sees value in registering these names and won't listen to anyone who may see things differently? Good luck :)

I'm sure there are some good ones in your collection don't get me wrong, but a name sitting there without any offers from end-users for 5, 10, 15 years... is not always a positive sign imo. When someone approaches with me a name and says they've had it for 5 years, 10 years... I think, wow, am I willing to wait that long? What are the odds a name sits for 10 years and sudden gets an offer the year I buy it?

Last edited:
•••
It certainly is not always so simple. Whilst some did not renew because of money, others may have dropped the domain because it is penalized by Google. You definitely want to do your research before buying any dropped domain.
I totally understand, and I do due diligence on every domain I buy. As a business guy all my life I've invested literally millions of dollars in commercial and residential real estate, stocks etc., but never before have i invested so little in something that has so much potential. btw, i've lost millions of dollars as well and almost had to file for bankruptcy several times.

Having started, operated and yes named dozens of business's since college (1970), i think i have a pretty good feel for whether a name is good or not. As such I feel confident enough to say the domain I bought yesterday RxCPR.com was a "no brainer" especially since I use to be in the Medical Billing business for almost 20 years.

If another domainer doesn't know what "Rx" stands for or means or what "CPR" is, I can understand why they might question my decision to pay $8.50 for RxCPR.com, but then I only need to consider the source.

Question? What does "penalized by Google" mean? Not sure I understand. Thanks

•••
If a domain had been registered since 2000 and never found an end-user, are you sure it's a great name...?

If nobody wanted to catch the drop, and no business wanted to use it for the past however many decades, maybe you should check your premise?

Edit: Just read the part of your post that says "Regardless of what anybody says..." lol so why even bother?

You've decided that you're the only person on Earth who sees value in registering these names and won't listen to anyone who may see things differently? Good luck :)

I'm sure there are some good ones in your collection don't get me wrong, but a name sitting there without any offers from end-users for 5, 10, 15 years... is not always a positive sign imo. When someone approaches with me a name and says they've had it for 5 years, 10 years... I think, wow, am I willing to wait that long? What are the odds a name sits for 10 years and sudden gets an offer the year I buy it?
Peak.Domains....see my response to g95extra. Also, unless you know who previously owned the domain for 5/10/15 years how would you know they never got any offers?

Finally, I know I'm not the only one on earth who sees value in registering these names, after all someone else registered them prior to me. As for those who who think differently, I consider the source:xf.rolleyes:

•••
In his book @jmcc presents interesting stats on how many times names get dropped. While registered and held without drop is the most common, many other names get dropped and reregistered, sometimes as many as 10 times!

I think partly names drop because people come in and out of domaining, or have personal pressures that let them drop, or have dreams of developing they never quite get to and eventually stop paying.

I think many agree that while not all aged names are good, that age is still somewhat correlated overall with quality in the legacy extensions. However, @jmcc points out that a name which different people have registered is also a sign of a potentially good name, since at least a number of people independently thought it was worth registering. I think that view makes sense. HosterStats makes it easy to check, at least since 2000, how often that has happened. I admit, when considering a hand registration it is now one thing I check.

But overall, I would say the answer is simply while many people have diverse reasons for registering a domain name, so do they have diverse reasons for letting them drop.

I suspect, and ICANN seem to as well, we will see a much larger number of drops in the next 18 months as people face tougher economic times.

Bob

•••
•••
In his book@jmcc presents interesting stats on how many times names get dropped. While registered and held without drop is the most common, many other names get dropped and reregistered, sometimes as many as 10 times!

I think partly names drop because people come in and out of domaining, or have personal pressures that let them drop, or have dreams of developing they never quite get to and eventually stop paying.

I think many agree that while not all aged names are good, that age is still somewhat correlated overall with quality in the legacy extensions. However, @jmcc points out that a name which different people have registered is also a sign of a potentially good name, since at least a number of people independently thought it was worth registering. I think that view makes sense. HosterStats makes it easy to check, at least since 2000, how often that has happened. I admit, when considering a hand registration it is now one thing I check.

But overall, I would say the answer is simply while many people have diverse reasons for registering a domain name, so do they have diverse reasons for letting them drop.

I suspect, and ICANN seem to as well, we will see a much larger number of drops in the next 18 months as people face tougher economic times.

Bob
Bob...it's not like me to be patient, but I luv fishing for domains. I basically know the the kinds of names I'm fishing for, and if I fish real hard I can generally catch a few every day. Here's an example of my thought process; while I was getting my oil changed at a friends local garage this am I asked him how his family was doing? He said they were doing well, but his adult daughter who was managing a local doughnut shop had lost her job because the shop had gone out of business (not due to the Corona Virus). I knew his daughter had developed a specialty making pastries and cakes upon graduating from a local culinary school. So while sitting there waiting I started searching for a domain that might compliment her specialty and in about 10 minutes I came up with the domain YummyVelvet.com.....ever hear of a Velvet Cake? Well, I didn't buy it for her, but it's available to register, and whoever owned it just dropped it in March according to Hosterstats. Of course YummyCakes.com would have been better, but someone owns that domain and they're asking $3,999 for it. Her Dad says she bakes a hell of a cake so maybe she'll buy the domain YummyVelvet and launch her new career. I told her Dad to have her call me if she needs any help buying the domain, but if not I'm guessing someone else will own it before too long. Maybe me:xf.wink:

Thanks for your commentary Bob(y)

•••
Please let us know when dude calls you about that domain.

•••
There are tons of reasons people let domains drop. Namely they originally acquired the domain for a business that they never ended up starting. Or a business that folded. Or the person died. Or the person was speculating and realised that even if it's a good domain, it has little chance of selling at the required markup to maintain a portfolio of equal domains.

You've asked this question before and have received very thorough replies. Nothing has changed in the last year or even the last 5 when it comes to this topic.

YummyVelvet isn't the best name for someone starting up a business (it's too specific and makes pivoting and diversifying/expanding needlessly difficult) .. but it certainly isn't a horrible *end user* purchase.

That being said .. it would be a bad name for an investor to acquire at regfee because the "likely markup" x "likely sell-through rate" product is too low. Same for yb!tch. Can't say for RxCPR, although I don't see how that particular combination of prescriptions and CPR would have a high enough demand to be a theoretically profitable investment (although I'm not saying it isn't possible since I'm not an expert in the field)

What I don't think you grasp, is that even if for the sake of argument we say those can be the types of names that sell in the thousands of dollars. It needs to be made very clear that for every one such domain of that quality that does sell at $2000, there are thousands of domains of the same quality that don't sell.

So ultimately it comes down to simple math .. even if I'm being generous and say you'll sell 1 such quality domain at $2000 in a portfolio of 500 equal domains. Effectively the cost is $5000 to make $2000.

So yes some domains can sell at up to a couple thousand .. but that does not mean they are good investments as a domainer. In fact a super majority of dropped domains are totally worthless.

That's probably the one factor of domains people overlook the most .. the fact that what a domain "can potentially" sell for is a completely useless number on it's to justify invest-ability, because an equally important factor is probability of sale.

•••
My portfolio is loaded with domains that in many cases had been registered according to Hosterstats for 10 to 15 to 20 years since '2000:xf.rolleyes:

:xf.smile:
i like ybitch

i have tons of 20yrs old domains. I think it is a good investment. one of them, recent reg
Xperter.com
IMG_20200508_114307.png

similar with s plural is taken: https://www.squadhelp.com/logo-desi...n-name-and-logo-for-a-matching-service-for-te

xpertors.com is developed

Last edited:
•••
There are tons of reasons people let domains drop. Namely they originally acquired the domain for a business that they never ended up starting...

LOL that's a big domaining red pill :xf.frown:(y)

•••
There are tons of reasons people let domains drop. Namely they originally acquired the domain for a business that they never ended up starting. Or a business that folded. Or the person died. Or the person was speculating and realised that even if it's a good domain, it has little chance of selling at the required markup to maintain a portfolio of equal domains.

You've asked this question before and have received very thorough replies. Nothing has changed in the last year or even the last 5 when it comes to this topic.

YummyVelvet isn't the best name for someone starting up a business (it's too specific and makes pivoting and diversifying/expanding needlessly difficult) .. but it certainly isn't a horrible *end user* purchase.

That being said .. it would be a bad name for an investor to acquire at regfee because the "likely markup" x "likely sell-through rate" product is too low. Same for yb!tch. Can't say for RxCPR, although I don't see how that particular combination of prescriptions and CPR would have a high enough demand to be a theoretically profitable investment (although I'm not saying it isn't possible since I'm not an expert in the field)

What I don't think you grasp, is that even if for the sake of argument we say those can be the types of names that sell in the thousands of dollars. It needs to be made very clear that for every one such domain of that quality that does sell at $2000, there are thousands of domains of the same quality that don't sell.

So ultimately it comes down to simple math .. even if I'm being generous and say you'll sell 1 such quality domain at $2000 in a portfolio of 500 equal domains. Effectively the cost is $5000 to make $2000.

So yes some domains can sell at up to a couple thousand .. but that does not mean they are good investments as a domainer. In fact a super majority of dropped domains are totally worthless.

That's probably the one factor of domains people overlook the most .. the fact that what a domain "can potentially" sell for is a completely useless number on it's to justify invest-ability, because an equally important factor is probability of sale.
Despite your verbocity you still miss my point about "good" domains being dropped. I know you think I'm bad for this industry, but I've been around long enough to know the difference between a "good" domain and one that's not, and I'm getting better at it every day:xf.wink:

Regardless of what you think, three of the domains I recently hand registered; ybitch.com, rxcpr.com and yummyvelvet.com are pretty "good" despite your overly critical opinion. As for yummyvelvet.com, I was able to locate that in 10 minutes for a friends daughter who is unemployed and has a degree in culinary science. Her specialty was/is cakes and pastries, and after checking to see if yummycakes.com was available (it was not, and the owner is asking 4K for it) i started thinking of kinds of cakes and VOILA! I came up with yummyvelvet.com. Just google "velvet cake" to see how popular it is I might add. It appears whoever owned the domain yummyvelvet.com just dropped it in March of 2019 so you might say it was pretty fresh:xf.smile:

Ategy...i know you feel it's your job to be critical of me and my style, but you are wasting your time:xf.rolleyes: I'm not going to change, and either are you. Note, i've never said you're bad for this industry, but when you say it about me, i just consider the source(y)

•••
i like ybitch

i have tons of 20yrs old domains. I think it is a good investment. one of them, recent reg
Xperter.com
Show attachment 153705

similar with s plural is taken: at squadhelp

xpertors.com is developed
Thanks for sharing BrandCollectors. The thought behind ybitch.com comes from a friend who owns a very successful pizza chain called Ynot Pizza. It certainly wasn't the name that did it, but he recently built a 3M home in my area. btw, did you know that Ynot spelled backwards is "Tony" How cool is that:xf.cool: I didn't reg ynotbitch although i should throuh it in as compliment for anyone interested in ybitch.

Thanks also for sharing the website development for xpertors.com, and while I usually have a use in mind for most of my hand regs, i haven't thought of one yet for ybitch? What ybitch has going for it right now, it's Catchy!

•••
Please let us know when dude calls you about that domain.
Dude won't be calling me about domain...i'll be calling Dude(y)

•••
•••
Hello Nps I continually hear domain investors talk about domains that once received offers/sold at the past. Ps is there tool to check/determine these two things on a domain name? Thanks for sharing. I really appreciate.

•••
Last edited:
•••
@ kolishman thanks but I actually meant research targeted on a particular domain that can possibly popup its past sales/offers history.

•••
It is something to think about, astonishing, really.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back