Domain Empire

.mobi Why .mobi will be the next Big thing.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Afaque khan

Established Member
Impact
Mobile devices are becoming evermore important for small business and marketers are finding new and

exciting ways to reach their For people who use their computer for work (e.g. web designers, photographers,

writers, etc.) a tablet or smartphone can't fully replace the functions of a keyboard, mouse, and programs they

need. But for everyday consumers who just want to read a website, check their email or shop, a mobile device

is preferable option. Since most marketers are trying to reach everyday consumers, they need to dedicate part

of their advertising budget toward a medium they know the target audience uses.

Mobile devices are the future of marketing in the way that computers were 40 years ago. Smartphones and

tablets are becoming more powerful and able to do many of the things that just a decade ago were impossible

for a handheld device.

So in many ways I think .mobi will win over other tlds like .info,.net .

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
What goes around comes around, some times. :)

•••
Mobile devices are becoming evermore important for small business and marketers are finding new and

exciting ways to reach their For people who use their computer for work (e.g. web designers, photographers,

writers, etc.) a tablet or smartphone can't fully replace the functions of a keyboard, mouse, and programs they

need. But for everyday consumers who just want to read a website, check their email or shop, a mobile device

is preferable option. Since most marketers are trying to reach everyday consumers, they need to dedicate part

of their advertising budget toward a medium they know the target audience uses.

Mobile devices are the future of marketing in the way that computers were 40 years ago. Smartphones and

tablets are becoming more powerful and able to do many of the things that just a decade ago were impossible

for a handheld device.

So in many ways I think .mobi will win over other tlds like .info,.net .

This post is like 11+ years late.

•••
No ....the reason is though its been more than 10 years smartphones were being used ,the extension

.mobi is so underrated still,I think its the dark horse..It will emerge eventually the winner in coming times.

.mobi is the most overlooked one atm.

wait and see ...

•••
I like your optimism but like JB Lions said, this post is 11+ years too late.
.mobi is a dying breed. I think if anything some tech based startups may use .io in some cases but .com is still king.

•••
I like your optimism but like JB Lions said, this post is 11+ years too late.
.mobi is a dying breed. I think if anything some tech based startups may use .io in some cases but .com is still king.
Ya Ya ..the next tech may be blockchain,VR ,AI, AR, and some say smartglasses will takeover

smartphones...but in the end you cant live without a smartphone thats the reality.

•••
Ya Ya ..the next tech may be blockchain,VR ,AI, AR, and some say smartglasses will takeover

smartphones...but in the end you cant live without a smartphone thats the reality.

You can't live without a smartphone, but smartphone users can live without the .mobi extension.
Many users just use apps from the appstore instead of even typing in a domain anymore.

•••
•••
•••
It might have had sense in times when you had to have two separate sites for desktops and for mobile phones, although even then it was common for mobile version to be on subdomain of the main site with prefix m. or mobile., there was no need for completely separate domains.

But nowadays, with responsive design that adjusts site to any screen it's viewed on, there is absolutely no need to have separate sites for desktops and phones; you maintain one single site, and visitors see it comfortably on any device. For starters, check this very site, NamePros, try visiting it from PC and from phone and ask them if they need two separate sites.

•••
It bugged me that .mobi was 4 letters
IMHO if it was just .mo. it might have taken off...

Last edited:
•••
are you the guy that got appsformobile.mobi & bestphoneapps.mobi for Christmas?

just wandering ...

•••
nope, so wrong .mobi is not going to make a come back

•••
•••
•••
•••
51mmgYZUFGL._SX308_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

•••

This is how we used to extract oil from whales before we found oil/petrol underground nearly 2 centuries from now.

•••
•••
.mobi was DOA, and by the time it was released the distinction between mobile had already blurred.
Just because the Internet has shifted to mobile doesn't mean we need another extension.

People always come up with bizarre arguments to justify a particular extension.
Examples:
  • .tv will rise because of the surge of online video (reality: niche extension)
  • .asia is the future because it represents roughly half of mankind (reality: people define themselves in terms of nation/ethnicity/culture, and not as 'Asian').
  • .me is the future because the web is user-centric and social networking (reality: niche extension)
  • etc
My advice would be to study history to better understand the present and anticipate the future. Read those threads from 2006 on .mobi for example. New domainers really need to study the history of domaining, because they keep trying to reinvent the wheel and repeat the mistakes of the past.

Pulse on the market:

TLDHistory1_a41bf865-6226-4c13-9f01-eb8fb1c4c750.png

•••
Not at all.
I am not a .mobi fan, but today smartphones are more popular than laptop/desktop.
Today we have a whole world inside our pocket - our smartphone.
Phone, books, images, agend, contact list, games, internet, social reds, GPS, access to any online knowlage base, etc etc etc..
11 years ago smartphone were nos so smart as today..
in theory .mobi could have a second chance...

•••
That's not going to happen because of the responsive design, also it's said that at some point the websites will turn into apps because of the internet being so overcrowded. Give it 10 years and websites will be totally gone, domains too.

•••
•••
•••
in theory .mobi could have a second chance...
That still doesn't explain where the added value is. Nowadays, people access the Internet through mobile devices but there is no need to emphasize the fact.

That's not going to happen because of the responsive design, also it's said that at some point the websites will turn into apps because of the internet being so overcrowded. Give it 10 years and websites will be totally gone, domains too.
That means I must install an app each time I want to visit a site ? Of course not. Apps are complementary. But we already heard the very same argument a decade ago. And 20 years ago, there were predictions that search engines would make domain names obsolete.
People are missing the point: Branding. Advertising.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back