IT.COM

.mobi Why .mobi will be the next Big thing.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Afaque khan

Established Member
Impact
Mobile devices are becoming evermore important for small business and marketers are finding new and

exciting ways to reach their For people who use their computer for work (e.g. web designers, photographers,

writers, etc.) a tablet or smartphone can't fully replace the functions of a keyboard, mouse, and programs they

need. But for everyday consumers who just want to read a website, check their email or shop, a mobile device

is preferable option. Since most marketers are trying to reach everyday consumers, they need to dedicate part

of their advertising budget toward a medium they know the target audience uses.

Mobile devices are the future of marketing in the way that computers were 40 years ago. Smartphones and

tablets are becoming more powerful and able to do many of the things that just a decade ago were impossible

for a handheld device.

So in many ways I think .mobi will win over other tlds like .info,.net .

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
You can always type .com into the browser on a mobile phone, which is why .mobi never mattered and never will

•••
Mobi was Nokia's idea. Look what happened to them. Mobi went bust and was handed over to Afilias. The business model was to persuade people to use two domain names - one for pc, one for mobile. Nobody liked it, there was a bubble, prices crashed, people dropped names they paid thousands for.

Zero aftermarket.

•••
That still doesn't explain where the added value is. Nowadays, people access the Internet through mobile devices but there is no need to emphasize the fact.

That means I must install an app each time I want to visit a site ? Of course not. Apps are complementary. But we already heard the very same argument a decade ago. And 20 years ago, there were predictions that search engines would make domain names obsolete.
People are missing the point: Branding. Advertising.

The search engine will find several apps in the app store and you will download and use the one you like based on user reviews, downloads, etc.

•••
Bring on Pump and Dump II

•••
@Kate
i said could have a second chance..

•••
What a throwback. This is like a post from a decade ago. :xf.smile:

Brad

•••
I am not a .mobi expert, and have never owned one (looked into options a few times). While I suspect that they will continue to sell now and then (there were 26 sales of $100+ .mobi on Namebio in 2017, but I don't think any yet in 2018), I agree with those that have expressed the view that with responsive web design now adjusting to the type of device, the idea of a separate domain just for mobile is no longer that relevant.

•••
Lol...
1758dd40e6.jpg

•••
With the need to have our phones with us at all times, I really see phones at every corner becoming a thing. Picture it: A 7-11, grocery store, movie theatre, pretty much any public venue where you can mount a phone on a wall or place it in a booth or something. You can even monetize it by outfitting it with a coinslot and charge anywhere from a quarter to 75 cents, or more! Yea, I see this thing taking off! I even have a name for it....payphone! Now all I need is a time machine......

Last edited:
•••
And MySpace will overcome Facebook in a few years!

•••
nobody serious wants to invest or use a 4 letter extension thats an abbreviation.
and responsive webpages etc mean theres no consideration for a separate extension for mobile devices.

Last edited:
•••
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

George Santayana

Admittedly, I made a lot of money on the dot-mobi craze back around the time of its launch, flipping names like crazy... After about 3 months it was all over. (Now, dot-mobi is a lot like the corpse at an Irish funeral... "It sure looks life-like, but everybody knows it's dead!" ;))

•••
The biggest problem for .MOBI was that it was released in the middle of a domain name drought caused by Domain Tasting. It was almost impossible to get good .COM domain names because they were being scooped up as they dropped by registrars set up for the purpose. This created an artificial demand for non-COM domain names and .MOBI was in the right place at the right time. However, artificial scarcity can be changed overnight and that is one of the things that hit .MOBI when ICANN was shamed into reducing the financial viability of Domain Tasting. Prior to a "restocking fee" being enforced, registrars could freely taste millions of domain names for a five day period. When the market changed, so did the demand for .MOBI domain names.

Regards...jmcc

•••
all gTLD will be somewhat used in the future. its already started to happen, theyre being accepted but looking for "the winners" like its 1999 is retarded.

the winners are the people who get to register and actually use them for $11.50 per year, not some pie in the sky speculation dream about which gTLD will be the next big *one* or *two* or the top dozen.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back