Dynadot

question Why do .orgs not get more attention?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Jason Baudendistel

CEO Wibbets IncRestricted (Market)
Impact
I understand. Com is still first choice but I went shopping on an expired. Orgs list and was surprised by how many English single word options were available. After .com you would think .org would be second or third choice depending on how you view .io Is this extension just overlooked?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
What matter is what the end users want. The deleted domain stream gives a very clear picture of what people wants :)

•••
It boils down to the overall use. Yes dot com is "the one", but you may find those engaged in charity, research, fund raising, specific departments / agencies / public bodies, non profit, those standing for a cause ...anything of this sort may sway with a "dot org"

Last edited:
•••
It boils down to the overall use. Yes dot com is "the one", but you may find those engaged in charity, research, fund raising, specific departments / agencies / public bodies, non profit, those standing for a cause ...anything of this sort may sway with a "dot org"

Agreed. Also what one should understand is that every TLD sells, even .info

But every TLD sells more in a "specific" type of SLD. At least that is what I figured out looking at sales data.
There is no better TLD.

As long it it fits your investment thesis and you can make a profit, nothing is better or worse

•••
I understand. Com is still first choice but I went shopping on an expired. Orgs list and was surprised by how many English single word options were available. After .com you would think .org would be second or third choice depending on how you view .io Is this extension just overlooked?

Can you share a sample of these dictionary words? Not all are created equal.

•••
1. Domainers are part of the domain name market not the domain name market.
2. The domain name market is not the US market even though .COM is the defacto US ccTLD.
3. The domain name market in other countries is generally dominated by the local ccTLD with .COM having about 30 to 50% of that country's market. The ccTLD and .COM account for about 80% or more of the domain name market in these countries.
4. The .ORG gTLD only has about 10M registrations and many of them are specific organisation names or phrases rather than generic terms.
5. The .IO is a ccTLD not even in the same league as .ORG in terms of recognition let alone registration volume.

Regards...jmcc

•••
A couple that I really liked
Can you share a sample of these dictionary words? Not all are created equal.

Lambskin.org
Concreting.org
Backboards.org
Obviously all niche plays but there were several I liked less also available literally dozens. Was wondering if there was a reason the extension seemed to get less attention from investors.

•••
These are quite mundane TBH. The reason most .io domains (heck, .xyz even) sell is due to keyword quality. I can only use lambskin in one sentence and it's related to latex allergy.

•••
Possibly relevant to this discussion, I looked up by hand how a sample of .org that had sold for $1k plus and from mid 2018 to end 2020 (so time to be developed). It turns out that a bit more than half (56%) were in for-profit use. I also looked at type of words, length etc.
details >>
https://www.namepros.com/blog/who-is-buying-org-domain-names.1250064/

In going through that list I was surprised how many were 4L (32%). I wish I had some nice 4L, but only 1 (I sold 1).

I agree that sometimes you can find single word .org, but it is really hard to find cheaply high-worth, and even useable, but not as familiar, take some digging.

Still, as the .com availability get so sparse, I think .org will continue to have legs.

Really appreciated your insights and reflections above, @jmcc - you contribute so much to NamePros with your data driven approach, and clear writing. Thank you.

Bob

•••
Agreed with Mr.Hawkes.

.ORG's popularity is moving from non profit to for profit organizations but for corporate websites. In my experience I have seen this happening more often. The .COM domains are used more by a company's brand name this maintaining user recall for the brand, like say amazon.com or some such. I advised some of my clients to maintain this and they do so now. Just that finding a good domain name for the .org and .com (the brand name) could be tough. So maintaining different names is possible. These tactics work and for a client, I asked them to look at BigRock for domain names and they were okay with the suggestion.

More so, it makes sense for .ORG to be representing the company (directors, board, investors, CEO, maybe CSR etc.).

With .IO, not many know its a cctLD. Providers are selling them to tech and app companies because it sounds great. Just they way people market TLDs is funny to me. But tbh, .IO being overlooked is probably because of the way it is marketed with just 0.5% growth month on month.

My fundamental question is will someone remember a .IO website or a .COM or a .ORG website more? Which one is your pick?

Hope this added some value to the conversation and thanks for your points!

•••
.org domains have traditionally been very popular within the software development communities. Back in the days before Github was a thing, tigris.org was the only major competition for Sourceforge.net for providing collaboration and hosting for open-source software development. All major open source software foundations use .org as a de-facto TLD. Examples include - linuxfoundation.org, gnu.org, fsf.org, opensource.org, apache.org, eclipse.org among others.

Many companies use the .org site to represent the philanthropic face of their business. For example, IBM.com and Infosys.com uses IBM.org and Infosys.org to showcase their fulfillment of corporate social responsibilities.

Besides, the .org TLD has proven to be resilient on the face of any kind of censorship. The pirate bay anyone?

Having started my professional carrier in software development more than two decades ago, I was fortunate to hand register my firstname in the .org space.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back