IT.COM

advice Who is the Greatest Domainer of All Time?

NameSilo
Watch

Whizzbang

VIP Member
ParkLogic.com
Impact
I read an interesting article on The Domains asking the readers who they thought was the greatest domainer of all time. Why was it interesting? Because it didn’t ask the most important question, “By what measure?”

For instance, are we measuring someone’s success by the amount of money they earn or amount of profit? Whether they have built a sustainable business or sold one off high value domains? How about whether they actually give anything back to the industry versus take, take and then take some more? Or, how about how they treat others that may not be as monetarily successful as they are?

Can a person be regarded as “the greatest” if their personal life is a complete mess? They may have even sold a lot of high value domains and yet not have much to show for it after multiple family failures.

Read More>

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
"Can a person be regarded as “the greatest” if their personal life is a complete mess?"

Well, you're changing the question.

"Can a person be regarded as “the greatest domainer” if their personal life is a complete mess?"

I'd say yes. Best wife? Best parent? Best neighbor? Maybe not. Best domainer? Sure, why not?

•••
I was asking the question, "What does greatest mean?" For me, greatness is more about character than the size of a person's wallet.....for others, this may be different.

•••
Rick Frank mm

But I would say

Frank

•••
I still think you're talking about apples and oranges. Defining "the greatest" is one thing, defining "the greatest domainer" is entirely another.

Let's put it this way.

Let's hypothetically take two imaginary hockey players. These aren't based off real people whatsoever.

The first one has played professionally for their entire adult life, has won the Stanley Cup numerous times, holds every major record, and is widely regarded as the most skilled player to ever step on the ice, and is incredibly unhappy in their personal life.

They never found love, they never started a family even thought they wanted to, they get into arguments at the grocery store with strangers, they're rude to waiters, they speed up when cars next to them try to change lanes, they take up two seats on the bus so senior citizens have to stand, they lie for no reason at all, etc. Just a miserable person in every sense and they regret all of their choices, except when it comes to being the absolute most skilled, most celebrated hockey player to ever live.

The second hockey player is beloved by their friends and family, they do all sorts of charity work, they sleep perfectly every single night, they have raised two beautiful children who are at the top of their classes and very kind to everyone they meet, they take great pleasure from the little things in life, they anonymously donate to important causes, they've traveled the world and helped people every step of the way, they life an incredibly fulfilling life and are thankful for their blessings every day. But they can barely skate, they can barely shoot the puck, they hit the ice on the rink at the end of the street a few times each winter to play with friends.

There's not much of an argument to be made about which one is living a greater life overall, right? I'll give you that. We've defined "greatest" in that sense.

But are you really saying there's an argument here about which one of them is the greatest hockey player?

Last edited:
•••
"Or how about a person that ran arbitrage traffic on top of their clients domain names and then skimmed off the revenue before passing on the balance?"

Who was that? You can just drop me a hint and I will figure it out.

•••
Rick Schwartz
Mike Mann
Frank Shilling

In that order imo. But all are legends.

•••
I still think you're talking about apples and oranges. Defining "the greatest" is one thing, defining "the greatest domainer" is entirely another.

Let's put it this way.

Let's hypothetically take two imaginary hockey players. These aren't based off real people whatsoever.

The first one has played professionally for their entire adult life, has won the Stanley Cup numerous times, holds every major record, and is widely regarded as the most skilled player to ever step on the ice, and is incredibly unhappy in their personal life.

They never found love, they never started a family even thought they wanted to, they get into arguments at the grocery store with strangers, they're rude to waiters, they speed up when cars next to them try to change lanes, they take up two seats on the bus so senior citizens have to stand, they lie for no reason at all, etc. Just a miserable person in every sense and they regret all of their choices, except when it comes to being the absolute most skilled, most celebrated hockey player to ever live.

The second hockey player is beloved by their friends and family, they do all sorts of charity work, they sleep perfectly every single night, they have raised two beautiful children who are at the top of their classes and very kind to everyone they meet, they take great pleasure from the little things in life, they anonymously donate to important causes, they've traveled the world and helped people every step of the way, they life an incredibly fulfilling life and are thankful for their blessings every day. But they can barely skate, they can barely shoot the puck, they hit the ice on the rink at the end of the street a few times each winter to play with friends.

There's not much of an argument to be made about which one is living a greater life overall, right? I'll give you that. We've defined "greatest" in that sense.

But are you really saying there's an argument here about which one of them is the greatest hockey player?
You raise some interesting points here.....and you are right, I am looking for a definition of greatest.

In Australia, we have a sport called Aussie Rules. Not sure if you've seen it but it's a great game of football that is really fast paced. As a part of the awards each year the highest honour that a player can receive by their clubs is called the "best and fairest" award. This award is given to players that not only excel on the ground but also off the ground. They represent the game in all aspects of their life and this takes into account:
1. Skills and results.
2. Character
To me, the "greatest" is a person that has both of these.

•••
Yun Yee

Last edited:
•••
I was asking the question, "What does greatest mean?" For me, greatness is more about character than the size of a person's wallet.....for others, this may be different.

I think the top guys [Rick, Frank, Mike B] have the character too. They are very accessible in spite of being worth millions of dollars. They even respond to your twitter questions.

•••
•••
This is one of those open-ended questions where there is no real answer.

Seriously .. there are so many different opinions on what factors make up a "good domainer" that even if you ask the same words to different people, their perspective on what traits to count at what weight will drastically vary. Meaning essentially that people are each answering a different question without realising it.

I suppose the question you're really asking here is "How do we define how good a domainer a person is"

That being said .. there is one person usually overlooked who theoretically destroys all of the above mentioned combined on pretty much every metric that exists:

Bob Parsons ... (Although I don't think his elephant killing ways would place him very high on your alternate list)

Last edited:
•••
•••
•••
i nominate the legendary @Ali

One could certainly argue that today's domaining environment is significantly more challenging than that of yesteryear (that's the first time I wrote word that in my life .. lol). So one could certainly make an argument for @Ali and @MediaOptions (although MO is theoretically a team to some unknown degree) as they are thriving very high in an environment where few are.

On the other hand you also have @Domain Shane who is really a great role model for most of us as he has slowly grown his portfolio over the years all the while running a real business full time.

Or @Michael Cyger of @DomainSherpa who has helped countless new domainers enter the domain game which some could argue brings liquidy for all of us (although I guess some would argue he just brings more competition .. lol).

Then in a similar light we also have @Eric Lyon and the entire team here at NamePros who help maintain this amazing platform for us to trade and learn on.

But at the end of the day, our favorite domainers should be the ones that buy/sell from/to us at prices that help make us money! :)

•••
One could certainly argue that today's domaining environment is significantly more challenging than that of yesteryear
exactly what i had in mind.

•••
What does surprise me is that as far as I can tell there aren't many or if any non-USA based domain investors being suggested as being great.....I know for instance, there are a LOT of fantastic domain investors in Europe which are excelling at what they do.

•••
What does surprise me is that as far as I can tell there aren't many or if any non-USA based domain investors being suggested as being great.....I know for instance, there are a LOT of fantastic domain investors in Europe which are excelling at what they do.

The ones being mentioned use social media a lot especially twitter, share recent sales quite often, some of the information includes domain names, purchase prices and year acquired, for some of us to learn from. Some of them have shared some valuable information on domainsherpa or blogs in the past. So, they share valuable information for free on a regular basis.

•••
•••
Last edited:
•••
Muhammad Ali, is the Greatest of All Time!

and you can't go around handing out that acclamation to anybody else-

at least, until they've done and or have been thru and walked in, the same type of shoes, as he did.

That's..... why he is, The Greatest of All Time.

ya heard

:)

still.... there are some who have done good things for so long, in that, what they've accomplished can be seen as "great"
as in providing a great place to do business and or discuss the business, in an environment that's "conducive". or if you've just been following the achievements of a select few with admiration, that, on it's own... may seem great to you.

imo.....

•••

Because there is no baseline of what need to be a greatest domain investors?
What you received is from people who had good experiences with their recommended domain investors through public sales, word of mouth, conference, etc. There are many are doing great with their sales not even seen in public. Just like you mentions about Europe domainers, how about in ASIA where many transactions in millions.

Greatest domain investors suggestions might includes the following IMO.
  1. Of course, sales sales sales sales sales ...
  2. Business Ethics, we saw a lot of them here for the past 2-3 years.
  3. Diligent and competent service to domain industry

Just to list a few.

Again, in my humble opinion.
Rick S. probably received three points.
No doubt, he made millions of great sales.
Business ethics is ok for me, some might not agree.
For some newbie, you probably don't know he organized successful TRAFFIC conference in the past.

Mike B. - another business/domain investor.
Proven with good sales records.
Business ethics, no questionable in my book.
He provided a blog that provide good readings to newbie.

Atty. Berryhill I will include him too. I read good things about him and provided service to domainers, though I have not seen any sales on his name.

Frank S. definitely one of successful domainer in our time. I just don't like his last action of price increased of most of his own extensions.

Mike Mann you will see him post a great return of investment of $8 to $$$$$ amount of sales. I'm happy for him and I don't know how he do it. I am an engineer, I use number to get a better understanding of sales, no matter I do I can't replicate his returns of investment knowing the total of domains. He sold his business for millions. Definitely should be on this list.

Yun Lee in the past, don't know if he's still in the business.

Namepros owner(s) should be included too. If still the same ownership, we know they make money from our shared informations. The platform help sold millions, provided good service to domainers and so far no ethics issue in my book.

and many domain investors I forgot their names. How about biggies, acro and other

Do we include brokers? If yes, names include the following.
Andrew Rosener
and many folks from Sedo who sold millions.

Cheers.
EM @MAJ.com

Last edited:
•••
I don't know who the great domainer of all time is..

But there is no doubt,

That I am the best domainer of the end-times.

You're welcome.

•••
•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back