NameSilo

Who is better? Namesilo, NameCheap or

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hi Guys,

considering all the problems people are having with stolen domains finding an alternative to Godaddy seems to be a must.

Leaving Moniker and 1&1 aside for reasons we ALL know, what registrar are you using?

Can you please share your experience and pro&cons of them?

Thank for your help.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I'm using InetrnetBS & NameSilo, they support 2 factor authentication, and anti-thief feature, they also have free Whois protection. And live chat support always fast and helpful, not like Godaddy.

•••
I have used Namesilo and Namecheap for a while now. Namesilo's 2 factor authentication is great and so is their free WHOIS protection, bulk edit etc seems to work. The price is great, from what I know they have the next best standard prices on .com. Had no need to use their support yet because everything worked so far.

Namecheap's prices are good compared to most and their support is friendly and most often fast and correct in their answers. However a lot of features don't work, wasted lots of time having to remove 100's of WHOIS protections by hand.

For .com I would pick Namesilo any day of the week.

•••
I have been using namebright.com, and they are really good, 2FA via phone number, and they send me a text to my uk number every time i login, and if loose my phone, i still have my number, also they have alot of advanced features for people with big portfolio's that I don't use fully yet, and moreover, they sell the domains at cost pricing, I am very pleased with them, the only thing I guess they could improve on is providing free whois protection after first year, but I use anonymize.com so its free anyway.

•••
Just opened an account at Namesilo a few months ago and I'm really liking them so far. TFA, free privacy, good prices, interface is clean and easy to use ...

•••
I have been using namebright.com, and they are really good, 2FA via phone number, and they send me a text to my uk number every time i login, and if loose my phone, i still have my number, also they have alot of advanced features for people with big portfolio's that I don't use fully yet, and moreover, they sell the domains at cost pricing, I am very pleased with them, the only thing I guess they could improve on is providing free whois protection after first year, but I use anonymize.com so its free anyway.

How long have you been with them?
Find it weird their site loads like its 1999 and "A description for this result is not available because of this site's robots.txt – learn more." is their meta description in Google.

•••
How long have you been with them?
Find it weird their site loads like its 1999 and "A description for this result is not available because of this site's robots.txt – learn more." is their meta description in Google.

I have been with them for around 5-6 months, though bare in mind they are owned by Turncommerce / Andrew Reberry who own a couple of other companies such as dropcatch.com, hugedomains etc and their support is pretty good. Not really sure why they haven't got robots.txt

Last edited:
•••
"A description for this result is not available because of this site's robots.txt – learn more." is their meta description in Google.

Not really sure why they haven't got robots.txt

FYI, that message means that robots.txt is blocking Google's crawl of a page. They can index the URL but they can't see what's on it, so no description.

•••
FYI, that message means that robots.txt is blocking Google's crawl of a page. They can index the URL but they can't see what's on it, so no description.
I find that a weird thing to do. Is there a good reason for such a site to do that?

•••
Usually not. But I wouldn't use their site's index status to pre judge them as a registrar - mistakes happen.

•••
I have been using name.com in the past year.
There is a free 2 factor authentication which uses a mobile phone application(a temporary account security code of digits).
Their support is good and they do have email support option unlike Godaddy which removed this option.
Privacy protection is free for first year and for next year it's $3.99.
Registration is not cheap but I have noticed the pricing is better than before, more like Namecheap.
The renewal rates seem better than Godaddy, $11 compared to $15.

Last edited:
•••
Thank you guys. So far it seems that NameSilo is the winner.
Anyone using BigRock or others?

•••
Is any of you using the parking service @namesilo ?

The fact that you can keep 100% of the revenues sounds great but I am a bit concerned about using my Adsense account on a one page website. Google is becoming touchier and touchier every day and they ban accounts like eating candies...

•••
Is any of you using the parking service @namesilo ?

The fact that you can keep 100% of the revenues sounds great but I am a bit concerned about using my Adsense account on a one page website. Google is becoming touchier and touchier every day and they ban accounts like eating candies...

I would prefer a parking company for that if you don't looking to get banned ;)

•••
Yes Vivaldi,
that was my main concern but I am sure there are people using it without issues. Hopefully someone will share.
I am with DNS but the parking revenues....yawn..O.o

•••
Between those 2, Namesilo is the better choice in terms of security features and interface. It would not, however, be a registrar I would use due its not being part of the afternic premium network. That's important to me because afternic premium domains get listed on Godaddy's registration path and that's been a good source of sales for me. If that weren't a consideration, I would use them.

•••
I have been using name.com in the past year.
Privacy protection is free for first year and for next year it's $3.99.
Registration is not cheap but I have noticed the pricing is better than before, more like Namecheap.
The renewal rates seem better than Godaddy, $11 compared to $15.

I also like Name.com, I have transferred most of my domains at Godaddy to them for a cost of around $8.50 each over the last year instead of paying the high costs to renew at Godaddy.

I never realized they offer free privacy, is it too late to get that now, do they offer it at checkout or can I enable it in my account at Name.com?

•••
NameSilo wins hands down in cheap rates, simple and easy interface, free privacy forever and no discrimination regarding security or anything else.

I use godaddy only for coupons. Hate the interface and everything about it. Not to mention the awful shared hosting service. Tried to refund after few days and support guy sent $16 back. I asked what happens to remaining $34. He sent it back and i never received it. Tried to contact few times on twitter and they said contact your bank while bank had same reply to contact retailer. Never happened with any other company. Godaddy holds the record.

•••
I use namesilo. 25 names there I transfer from godaddy come renewal time. Free whois is great and an added feature is you can turn the whois on/off as you cant with godaddy privacy. Never had an issue with namesilo. Transfers from godaddy to them never take more than 30 minutes. Thats the only 2 registrars i use.

•••
I also like Name.com, I have transferred most of my domains at Godaddy to them for a cost of around $8.50 each over the last year instead of paying the high costs to renew at Godaddy.

I never realized they offer free privacy, is it too late to get that now, do they offer it at checkout or can I enable it in my account at Name.com?
They do offer free privacy for first year only per domain by using a coupon code.
It is possible to fulfill the free privacy by either at the registration and usage of the appropriate coupon or by selecting to enable privacy for existing domain and inserting the coupon.
The coupon code is valid for 1 usage per domain and there is no limit to how many domains it
can be applied.

•••
Great to know about best cheap domain registrars.. Thanks for posting this message...

•••
Never used namesilo, but I have the best experience with NameCheap. Have been using them since 2001 but they do provide great support and all you need for your domains.

•••
NameCheap has been my main registrar. They've also got 2 factor authentication and will give discount pricing on hand regs if you have a # of domains with them and you ask for it. Don't know how long it'll last, but right now it looks like they've got a $5 deal on at least .coms.

•••
Namecheap is my registrar of choice for all the domains I intend to keep and/or develop. Their customer service is the best I have had and they are fast and friendly. Especially their hosting support!

•••
Having used Uniregistry and knowing that it is secure with 2-factor, I use them.

If you have concerns about security, keep in mind Uniregistry worked with Moniker to get FMA's domains (50,000+) out of their control and into Uni's hand. That shows you either 1) they're greedy as most people would think or 2) they would like a prominent client that they can have and reassure everyone else that they are a secure registrar.

The UI is nice, pricing is nice and customer support in a flash.

That is all. ;)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back