Dynadot

Who is better? Namesilo, NameCheap or

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hi Guys,

considering all the problems people are having with stolen domains finding an alternative to Godaddy seems to be a must.

Leaving Moniker and 1&1 aside for reasons we ALL know, what registrar are you using?

Can you please share your experience and pro&cons of them?

Thank for your help.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I have been using namebright.com, and they are really good, 2FA via phone number, and they send me a text to my uk number every time i login, and if loose my phone, i still have my number, also they have alot of advanced features for people with big portfolio's that I don't use fully yet, and moreover, they sell the domains at cost pricing, I am very pleased with them, the only thing I guess they could improve on is providing free whois protection after first year, but I use anonymize.com so its free anyway.

•••
I have been using name.com in the past year.
There is a free 2 factor authentication which uses a mobile phone application(a temporary account security code of digits).
Their support is good and they do have email support option unlike Godaddy which removed this option.
Privacy protection is free for first year and for next year it's $3.99.
Registration is not cheap but I have noticed the pricing is better than before, more like Namecheap.
The renewal rates seem better than Godaddy, $11 compared to $15.

Last edited:
•••
I use namesilo. 25 names there I transfer from godaddy come renewal time. Free whois is great and an added feature is you can turn the whois on/off as you cant with godaddy privacy. Never had an issue with namesilo. Transfers from godaddy to them never take more than 30 minutes. Thats the only 2 registrars i use.

•••
I also like Name.com, I have transferred most of my domains at Godaddy to them for a cost of around $8.50 each over the last year instead of paying the high costs to renew at Godaddy.

I never realized they offer free privacy, is it too late to get that now, do they offer it at checkout or can I enable it in my account at Name.com?
They do offer free privacy for first year only per domain by using a coupon code.
It is possible to fulfill the free privacy by either at the registration and usage of the appropriate coupon or by selecting to enable privacy for existing domain and inserting the coupon.
The coupon code is valid for 1 usage per domain and there is no limit to how many domains it
can be applied.

•••
NameCheap has been my main registrar. They've also got 2 factor authentication and will give discount pricing on hand regs if you have a # of domains with them and you ask for it. Don't know how long it'll last, but right now it looks like they've got a $5 deal on at least .coms.

•••
Other than godaddy, I use name.com, namecheap & dynadot. One common security feature they all have is two way authentication. I can't say one is better than the other because all have their pros and cons.

Name.com: The pricing of new registrations and transfers is lower than many registrars and they provide free privacy for new as well as old purchases. But domain renewals might seem a bit costly if you don't require privacy.

Namecheap: They organize occasional contests & coupon codes with excellent discounts on common tlds and new gtlds. The whois guard (i.e. privacy feature) is priced very low; just $0.99 with coupon code. But when it comes to regular pricing of domains, they are a bit costlier than others.

Dynadot: I have recently started using dynadot. I like the account lock feature they have. I also like the option to have a default whois contact details totally different from the account details. The default whois is automatically applied to all domains when a new purchase is made whereas at other registrars, one has to manually choose it depending on how the purchase was made.

I never realized they offer free privacy, is it too late to get that now, do they offer it at checkout or can I enable it in my account at Name.com?

They don't offer free privacy directly. You'll have to enter promo code in shopping cart to bring down the price to $0. I have been using the same code since 2009 without a problem. It works for new purchases, already purchased domains and renewals as well. You just have to add/purchase privacy, enter the promo code in shopping cart, apply it to bring down the price to $0 and proceed to checkout.

•••
I think it is interesting to hear everyone's comments here. I have used Namecheap when names I purchased were pushed or for names I registered during a promo they were running and the site never functions correctly for me. I had to chat each time for 20 minutes to get something fixed. I never received my authorization codes when I needed them and I just won't keep any names there as it drives me crazy to not have the ability to do what I need to do when I need to do it.

I think the staff at name.com are awesome. I have a lot of names there and never have any trouble.

•••
I'm using InetrnetBS & NameSilo, they support 2 factor authentication, and anti-thief feature, they also have free Whois protection. And live chat support always fast and helpful, not like Godaddy.

•••
I have used Namesilo and Namecheap for a while now. Namesilo's 2 factor authentication is great and so is their free WHOIS protection, bulk edit etc seems to work. The price is great, from what I know they have the next best standard prices on .com. Had no need to use their support yet because everything worked so far.

Namecheap's prices are good compared to most and their support is friendly and most often fast and correct in their answers. However a lot of features don't work, wasted lots of time having to remove 100's of WHOIS protections by hand.

For .com I would pick Namesilo any day of the week.

•••
Just opened an account at Namesilo a few months ago and I'm really liking them so far. TFA, free privacy, good prices, interface is clean and easy to use ...

•••
How long have you been with them?
Find it weird their site loads like its 1999 and "A description for this result is not available because of this site's robots.txt – learn more." is their meta description in Google.

I have been with them for around 5-6 months, though bare in mind they are owned by Turncommerce / Andrew Reberry who own a couple of other companies such as dropcatch.com, hugedomains etc and their support is pretty good. Not really sure why they haven't got robots.txt

Last edited:
•••
Is any of you using the parking service @namesilo ?

The fact that you can keep 100% of the revenues sounds great but I am a bit concerned about using my Adsense account on a one page website. Google is becoming touchier and touchier every day and they ban accounts like eating candies...

I would prefer a parking company for that if you don't looking to get banned ;)

•••
I have been using name.com in the past year.
Privacy protection is free for first year and for next year it's $3.99.
Registration is not cheap but I have noticed the pricing is better than before, more like Namecheap.
The renewal rates seem better than Godaddy, $11 compared to $15.

I also like Name.com, I have transferred most of my domains at Godaddy to them for a cost of around $8.50 each over the last year instead of paying the high costs to renew at Godaddy.

•••
NameSilo wins hands down in cheap rates, simple and easy interface, free privacy forever and no discrimination regarding security or anything else.

I use godaddy only for coupons. Hate the interface and everything about it. Not to mention the awful shared hosting service. Tried to refund after few days and support guy sent $16 back. I asked what happens to remaining $34. He sent it back and i never received it. Tried to contact few times on twitter and they said contact your bank while bank had same reply to contact retailer. Never happened with any other company. Godaddy holds the record.

•••
Never used namesilo, but I have the best experience with NameCheap. Have been using them since 2001 but they do provide great support and all you need for your domains.

•••
Namecheap is my registrar of choice for all the domains I intend to keep and/or develop. Their customer service is the best I have had and they are fast and friendly. Especially their hosting support!

•••
•••
Vivaldi - regarding NameBright it is interesting that our robots.txt is incorrect and we are blocking robots. Nobody ever noticed this or pointed it out before. We plan to fix this early next week. As for site loading like it is 1999. Where are you in the world? (If this is private send me a PM.) Can you confirm the site is still slow? Thanks.

The site is still slow it takes around 15 seconds to get it fully loaded on here (the first time of loading) when the site is fully loaded it works a lot better when browsing it. It's not a matter of my broadband since the other (around 15) registrars I use load in a matter of 1-3 seconds. It's in Northern Europe.

•••
I like Name.com as well but I had atleast two buyers who were adamant on domains getting transferred to Godaddy and one of them was patient enough to wait till the 60 day lock period was over, other one was not. So I started using GD more frequently although after recent reports of domains getting stolen I am not sure of my decision anymore.

Some of my domains are with Namecheap (I like them more than GD) and 1and1 (don't even ask me why I used 1and1) and a handful of them with Name.com.

I only had one domain with Namesilo which I recently sold. Had no troubles with them during my short affair with NS.

•••
Unfortunately ( or not ) trading domains almost automatically implies having a Godaddy account. And that's pretty much a given..

•••
Talking about feeling uneasy..NameBright..really?
I am not giving my money to the one who gets 99% of the domains I backorder!!!!!!!!!!

•••
regarding NameBright it is interesting that our robots.txt is incorrect and we are blocking robots. Nobody ever noticed this or pointed it out before. We plan to fix this early next week.

@Rebies - 30 second fix. Delete the first line (User-Agent: *) or give it a directive. It's falling through and taking the directive from the user agent you DO want to block. Common problem, people don't realize it works that way or they block something during testing or an upgrade and forget to change it back.

Speaking of registrars - just realized I forgot to transfer a domain out of Godaddy and it renewed there - ouch! Just one reason I make it a policy to tranfer out of there asap.

•••
Thanks, but I know that - I left it on the default because I was planning to xfer out like I always do ... then forgot it was there.

Sorry. I guess I was confused by this comment "Just one reason I make it a policy to tranfer out of there asap.". It sounded like you were saying that you don't like GD because they autorenew domains which led to me to conclude that you didn't know that feature could be turned off..

•••
I don't like them because they're expensive (unless you have a coupon - and that's WHY they're expensive, suck 'em in with coupons, make up for it on renewals and upsells) and their UX is straight from hell. Not to mention a history of throwing customers under the bus given half an excuse.

•••
@vivaldi
you can find bulk removal of "who is" during your bulk registeration, i havent explored bulk who is change after booking.
ignore this if you already knew it
cheers!

I found it alright the problem is that it don't work. To late now anyway for my part will transfer out of Namecheap this year probably.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back