IT.COM

discuss Which extension if .com isn't available?

NameSilo
Watch

ThatNameGuy

Top Member
Impact
another NamePro's member posed this question, and I thought I'd bring it to the domain extension thread for discussion. This was my response, and I'd like to ask other domainers "if" I'm on the right track?

gtldomainer said:
I'm looking to hand-register few domains. Since .COM is not available, I'm looking to go for other TLD.

What other TLD would you recommend if .COM is not available? .NET, .CO, .XYZ?[/QUOTE

Bulloney responded;

Like the answer to most things in life, "it depends". I've started and owned a lot of businesses over the years, and I've discovered many of the new nTLD's can be a perfect fit for some where the .com isn't available. Take for example, I started a business in the 90's called Contact USA, and I owned the domain ContactUSA.com. At one time the business had a couple hundred employees, but it eventually folded. Sadly I didn't hold on to the name because someone else owns it today? When you attempt to access it, all you get is an American Flag and nothing else on your screen. So learning about nTLD's like I have, the name ContactUSA.today would be a perfect fit. How so you might ask? The extension .today represents the here and now, and .com really doesn't represent anything. I compare some of the nTLD's like putting an emoji at the end of a sentence instead of a period:xf.wink: Get it?

I've hand registered over 500 nTLD's based on my experience in the business world and in life. It sort of comes naturally to me, but then again my name is Bulloney:xf.grin:

Bulloney

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
.com -> .co -> .org -> new gTLDs (one-word)

•••
I think you are asking the wrong question here @Bulloney

Extensions doesn't matter What matters is the complete combination. both the string and extension...

•••
Namebio reported total sales past year, a few samples:

com - $90.5m
biz - $102.2k
xyz - $47.2k
today - $26.2k
horse - $0.0k

Willie Sutton focused on banks not Kool-Aid stands and most domain investors operate under the same principle.

•••
Namebio reported total sales past year, a few samples:

com - $90.5m
biz - $102.2k
xyz - $47.2k
today - $26.2k
horse - $0.0k

Willie Sutton focused on banks not Kool-Aid stands and most domain investors operate under the same principle.
what about .org???

check out websites below...
ethereum.org
bitcoin.org
iota.org

•••
.co and .biz are horrible extensions

•••
•••
It all depends. .net and .org are options, but they have conotations of networking or non-profit. It seems that .io is gaining a lot of popularity because of Google. I like .US the best because in other countries, the country TLD is king.

I don't like the new TLDs though, mostly because they are so expensive, and because all the good names are reserved and are marked up with an exorbitant price per each and every year of registration. What's to stop them from deciding that a name you registered 2 years ago is now a premium that requires a few thousand dollars (or more) to renew every year?

ICANN really got corporate greedy and mobster corrupt with the new gTLDs, but I do like .company although I don't like .co because it really isn't generic no matter how much I want it to be.

Last edited:
•••
What's to stop them from deciding that a name you registered 2 years ago is now a premium that requires a few thousand dollars (or more) to renew every year?

It will ruin their business..

•••
I think it has already ruined the whole nTLD concept. It could've worked if they stuck to the .com model, but the new gTLDs are actually deleting left and right because of ICANN's own corruption. Any ICANN Era gTLD that uses the premium markups model seems to be a complete and utter failure except for .company, because that one has an opportunity for company names as opposed to generic keywords and short names. If you look, it is hard to believe anyone is on board, and we don't see anything but .io in public or being developed.

Even the non-premium new TLD names are usually extremely expensive registrations as opposed to .com or .us

•••
I think it has already ruined the whole nTLD concept. It could've worked if they stuck to the .com model, but the new gTLDs are actually deleting left and right because of ICANN's own corruption. Any ICANN Era gTLD that uses the premium markups model seems to be a complete and utter failure except for .company, because that one has an opportunity for company names as opposed to generic keywords and short names. If you look, it is hard to believe anyone is on board, and we don't see anything but .io in public or being developed.

Even the non-premium new TLD names are usually extremely expensive registrations as opposed to .com or .us
show me your portfolio of. io /.us/.com

•••
If .com is not available, get a longer .com

Seriously @Recons.Com 's post makes a lot of sense.

For one of my companies I did just that...... I purchased a long 3 word .com and it says exactly what the business is. When I put it on a car bumper or billboard I need to say nothing else because the .com says it all.

Now here is where it gets interesting.....

My country Canada..... I also bought the matching .ca and a short acronym of the .com in the .ca

Now I use the short acronym as the main website..... abc.ca which goes to an enter page saying enter ThreeWordDomain.com (and .ca both work).

I use the short acronym for email but have the full .com as well. email is [email protected]

So my answer is both a .com and a regional country code work best for me. The combination has been used successfully in this business since 2005.

Last edited:
•••
show me your portfolio of. io /.us/.com

I don't believe in .io, I just have been surprised to see so very many. I only have a few .US, and they are not domains I have purchased for investments, I have a few sites that I won't post in a forum, because that just produces spam traffic. I think they do make sense for websites, not for investments. I am going through my .com names now, and not renewing a few. So my portfolio site is showing way more than I have anymore, and practically all of my new "ICANN Era" gTLDs from registries that enable premium annual reg/renew prices are dropping, because I feel ICANN has dropped the ball.

Some are listed on Sedo, and I have a list that is widely outdated on Domainer's .Name (as I am still letting a lot drop).

•••
•••
•••
everyone knows that almost any serious business will use a .com, not using it means you are not a serious business

•••
That's a good question! net org co or something that makes it better than the com in how it sounds. Radio test it..

•••
everyone knows that almost any serious business will use a .com, not using it means you are not a serious business
Seriously? I guess I'm not everyone:xf.wink: But then again, everyone is smarter than Bulloney:xf.grin:

•••
•••
i missed .com for Crypto :xf.wink: thats why i registered Crypto.voto

•••
i missed .com for Crypto :xf.wink: thats why i registered Crypto.voto

You missed the .com by 25 years, it was registered in 1993 :xf.wink:

•••
.mars by this point the earth has ended.
Imagine how much revenue is lost replacing forwarding or dropping this extension.

•••
It all depends. .net and .org are options, but they have conotations of networking or non-profit.

Not really, at least outside the old schoolers who can still remember those archaic and long-dead requirements.

Now, lots of for-profit/non-network thriving businesses use .NET and .ORG and the current generation of online users doesn't view them any differently than a slightly lower-tier .COM.

•••
.Net or .Co or give a new gTLD a try.

•••
•••
•••
Back