NameSilo

Which extension if .com isn't available?

Labeled as discuss in Domain Extensions started by Bulloney, Feb 14, 2018.

Replies:
Views:

1. Platinums

Platinums New Member

.com -> .co -> .org -> new gTLDs (one-word)

The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. atinc

atinc Web.Enterprises VIP

I think you are asking the wrong question here @Bulloney

Extensions doesn't matter What matters is the complete combination. both the string and extension...

3. ecalc

ecalc Top Member VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

Namebio reported total sales past year, a few samples:

com - $90.5m
    biz - $102.2k
    xyz - $47.2k
    today - $26.2k
    horse - $0.0k

Willie Sutton focused on banks not Kool-Aid stands and most domain investors operate under the same principle.

4. Platinums

Platinums New Member

what about .org???

check out websites below...
    ethereum.org
    bitcoin.org
    iota.org

5. Shackleton

Shackleton Established Member

6. Platinums

Platinums New Member

7. Domainating

Domainating Upgraded Member Gold Account ★★★★★★★★★★

It all depends. .net and .org are options, but they have conotations of networking or non-profit. It seems that .io is gaining a lot of popularity because of Google. I like .US the best because in other countries, the country TLD is king.

I don't like the new TLDs though, mostly because they are so expensive, and because all the good names are reserved and are marked up with an exorbitant price per each and every year of registration. What's to stop them from deciding that a name you registered 2 years ago is now a premium that requires a few thousand dollars (or more) to renew every year?

ICANN really got corporate greedy and mobster corrupt with the new gTLDs, but I do like .company although I don't like .co because it really isn't generic no matter how much I want it to be.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
  8. Platinums

Platinums New Member

It will ruin their business..

9. Domainating

I think it has already ruined the whole nTLD concept. It could've worked if they stuck to the .com model, but the new gTLDs are actually deleting left and right because of ICANN's own corruption. Any ICANN Era gTLD that uses the premium markups model seems to be a complete and utter failure except for .company, because that one has an opportunity for company names as opposed to generic keywords and short names. If you look, it is hard to believe anyone is on board, and we don't see anything but .io in public or being developed.

Even the non-premium new TLD names are usually extremely expensive registrations as opposed to .com or .us

10. Platinums

Platinums New Member

show me your portfolio of. io /.us/.com

11. MapleDots

MapleDots Domain Properties 2010 - 2018 VIP

Seriously @Recons.Com 's post makes a lot of sense.

For one of my companies I did just that...... I purchased a long 3 word .com and it says exactly what the business is. When I put it on a car bumper or billboard I need to say nothing else because the .com says it all.

Now here is where it gets interesting.....

My country Canada..... I also bought the matching .ca and a short acronym of the .com in the .ca

Now I use the short acronym as the main website..... abc.ca which goes to an enter page saying enter ThreeWordDomain.com (and .ca both work).

I use the short acronym for email but have the full .com as well. email is [email protected]

So my answer is both a .com and a regional country code work best for me. The combination has been used successfully in this business since 2005.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
  12. Domainating

I don't believe in .io, I just have been surprised to see so very many. I only have a few .US, and they are not domains I have purchased for investments, I have a few sites that I won't post in a forum, because that just produces spam traffic. I think they do make sense for websites, not for investments. I am going through my .com names now, and not renewing a few. So my portfolio site is showing way more than I have anymore, and practically all of my new "ICANN Era" gTLDs from registries that enable premium annual reg/renew prices are dropping, because I feel ICANN has dropped the ball.

Some are listed on Sedo, and I have a list that is widely outdated on Domainer's .Name (as I am still letting a lot drop).

13. Fast Flipping

Fast Flipping Fast Profit BY Fast Flipping

You are right

14. dordomai

dordomai Active Member VIP

15. dordomai

dordomai Active Member VIP

everyone knows that almost any serious business will use a .com, not using it means you are not a serious business

16. NameZest

NameZest Active Member VIP

That's a good question! net org co or something that makes it better than the com in how it sounds. Radio test it..

17. Bulloney

Bulloney "Meet Biscuit" My Mantra: Make Something Happen Blue Account

Seriously? I guess I'm not everyone:xf.wink: But then again, everyone is smarter than Bulloney:xf.grin:

18. Kiko

Kiko Established Member

totally agree...

19. kance07

kance07 Established Member

i missed .com for Crypto :xf.wink: thats why i registered Crypto.voto

20. gilescoley

gilescoley Top Member PRO VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

You missed the .com by 25 years, it was registered in 1993 :xf.wink:

21. lock

lock Traffic.tools VIP

.mars by this point the earth has ended.
    Imagine how much revenue is lost replacing forwarding or dropping this extension.

22. DomainRecap

DomainRecap Established Member

Not really, at least outside the old schoolers who can still remember those archaic and long-dead requirements.

Now, lots of for-profit/non-network thriving businesses use .NET and .ORG and the current generation of online users doesn't view them any differently than a slightly lower-tier .COM.

23. namerav

namerav Market Restricted

.Net or .Co or give a new gTLD a try.

24. saucey

saucey Top Member VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

LMAO!!!!

25. stub

stub Top Member VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

What are you going to use it for?

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!