Dynadot

discuss Which extension if .com isn't available?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

ThatNameGuy

Top Member
Impact
another NamePro's member posed this question, and I thought I'd bring it to the domain extension thread for discussion. This was my response, and I'd like to ask other domainers "if" I'm on the right track?

gtldomainer said:
I'm looking to hand-register few domains. Since .COM is not available, I'm looking to go for other TLD.

What other TLD would you recommend if .COM is not available? .NET, .CO, .XYZ?[/QUOTE

Bulloney responded;

Like the answer to most things in life, "it depends". I've started and owned a lot of businesses over the years, and I've discovered many of the new nTLD's can be a perfect fit for some where the .com isn't available. Take for example, I started a business in the 90's called Contact USA, and I owned the domain ContactUSA.com. At one time the business had a couple hundred employees, but it eventually folded. Sadly I didn't hold on to the name because someone else owns it today? When you attempt to access it, all you get is an American Flag and nothing else on your screen. So learning about nTLD's like I have, the name ContactUSA.today would be a perfect fit. How so you might ask? The extension .today represents the here and now, and .com really doesn't represent anything. I compare some of the nTLD's like putting an emoji at the end of a sentence instead of a period:xf.wink: Get it?

I've hand registered over 500 nTLD's based on my experience in the business world and in life. It sort of comes naturally to me, but then again my name is Bulloney:xf.grin:

Bulloney

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
For a long domain: .com.
For others: net, org, biz, info.
These are global unrestricted well established cheap to renew domains.
.co has advantage of similarity to .com and nothing else.
.tv has similarity to television, and nothing else.
Other new tlds may work well, but what if the registry increases renewal price suddenly.

I prefer one word .info or .biz.
What happened to .ws, .cc, .me, even .tv. Same can happen to any newer global tld, or overpromoted
cctld. .net and .org are also good but harder to get and more restricted in terms of meaning.

If I find a great new extension in anew tld and buy it to build a web site , I would immediately renew it for 10 years, before the registry decides that it is a premium domain. No need to do this for .info and .biz.
I don't know if it makes a difference but .info and .biz have thick registry while older ones have thin.

.xyz is easy to remember but doesn't suit well for a serious website. It sounds like, whatever, blablabla, etc.

I like .club but it is usually expensive for a well matching keyword.

Last edited:
•••
•••
I'll rather go for a .org or .net domains instead.

•••
.org is trustworthy
.co is used by startups

I would avoid .biz and even.net..

•••
Yup if it's global website .org or .net are the best. They have been around for long time and they are the best after .com.

•••
The other thing to consider is the saturation of particular industry and cpc of keywords meaning that you maybe better off creating a brand and using the other non generic names you considered buying in other extensions to promote your new brand.

•••
.com = commercial, community, commerce, company, computer, commons

.net are a great primary domain if your a network provider e.g. ISP, or as a secondary use for nameservers and content delivery (CDN).
Definitely not. .COM and .NET lost all rational meaning long ago.

•••
You can check out .io extension for 46$ at seimaxim.

•••
Get the dot com no matter what.

•••
I work with tens of TLDs...
And per my experience for years: I got the best conversion with .NET and .PRO
+ .me was very good in the past (prior 2015).

Last edited:
•••
I like .club but it is usually expensive for a well matching keyword.
.club + .online = waste of money and time regardless of keywords.
Even .biz ~10x times better.

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back