Dynadot

question Why isn't there a (.)go extension?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

ThatNameGuy

Top Member
Impact
personally I like it better than .com and it actually makes more sense. I'm sure there's a simple explanation for it...anyone know the answer?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Last edited:
•••
I believe this is the I did not read all 260 pages, the actual list is in Part 3. ICANN have this report linked from their site. I am sure someone has tried to game the system to get a country code and I expect the UN and ICANN effectively resist it, as they should.
Bob
Thanks Bob....sleep much:xf.wink: ....you're probably a lot like me, if I get 5 hours of sleep, and I fall asleep about 10:00pm eastern time, i'm good to go at 3:00am.

Anyway, i'm sure someone or some group has tried to game the system to get .go, but it hasn't happened to date. That said I'm having as much fun creating a portfolio with the .online extension as I was having in October and November creating my .realty portfolio. Just a few hours ago I registered; CheapWine.online:xf.love:

Speaking of "cheap wine", i just have to share this story. You may have heard me say that Dollar Tree started here in Virginia in 1986, and friends Macon Brock and his brother-in-law Doug Perry where the founders. For one of my Kiwanis meetings about 10 years ago I was able to get Macon to come and speak to our club about his business. The question was asked; "how do you keep from having to raise your prices?", and the example was given that "Two Buck Chuck" sold at Trader Joe's was no longer Two Bucks:xf.rolleyes:. Macon told us their Dollar Tree stores in California were selling wine for $1, and that they were going to experiment selling it in the Virginia Dollar Tree stores as well. As it turns out, wineries are going out of business all the time, and Dollar Tree was able to buy full bottles of wine for pennies on the dollar. When I bought and brought a case of white and a case of red home, my wife and friends thought I'd lost my mind. Well, i guess I had. I had to throw most of the whites away because their corks had rotted, but the reds to include Cabernet, Merlot and Shiraz were just fine:xf.confused: I'm not sure what happened, but they're not selling at Dollar Trees in our area anymore?

I just had to share this story, but by sharing it made me think that I should check with the buyer at Dollar Tree responsible for buying "cheap wine" to add a little value to my new domain that Ironically I just paid a $1 for; CheapWine.online:xf.grin:

•••
You're not seriously remotely considering the "new country" thing for a TLD, are you? ;) Managing to create a new country is a highly complicated and difficult task these days. Having the "international community" recognize it, even harder.

One question may be worthy to ask (I didn't look the answer): Would it be possible to have a ccTLD change in case of a major name change? If that would be possible, convincing a small island country to change it's name to get an easy source of revenue in the form of a nicely sellable ccTLD may be achievable. Note: It seems to me ccTLD aren't necessarily attributed according to the first two characters of a name (but if that possible, it's what is done!? You would have to be pretty sure of what you'll end up with according to what name).

Last edited:
•••
You're not seriously remotely considering the "new country" thing for a TLD, are you? ;) Managing to create a new country is a highly complicated and difficult task these days. Having the "international community" recognize it, even harder.

One question may be worthy to ask (I didn't look the answer): Would it be possible to have a ccTLD change in case of a major name change? If that would be possible, convincing a small island country to change it's name to get an easy source of revenue in the form of a nicely sellable ccTLD may be achievable. Note: It seems to me ccTLD aren't necessarily attributed according to the first two characters of a name (but if that possible, it's what is done!? You would have to be pretty sure of what you'll end up with according to what name).

The legal costs and jumping through hoops required to get a small country to change its name so that a registrar can profit would be unreasonable, and IMO unethical.

I think the suggestion was merely hypothetical ;)

•••
Humm, the country and its people would also benefit from it if there is a fair deal in place. The country could even sell the domains itself (public registrar). So, I don't think it's "unethical". Or it may be in the sense of solely changing your name for that purpose. But on a different level than what I understand you implied. I guess in today's world of competition, it would be kind of OK. The first would have the advantage of the "first mover advantage": Maybe the others simply haven't thought of doing this. After, rules may be changed to forbid every small country to do the same (assuming it's currently possible to have its ccTLD changed, which I don't know).

I'm not sure about the "legal costs". A country can probably decide quite unilaterally to change its name. I'm unsure of the indirect costs, but it may not be that much in the end.

Sure, I get that the country creation was merely "hypothetical", but the name change route, if possible, could be a serious thing to consider for a small island nation.

FYI, have a look at this: https://www.gov.uk/government/publi.../country-name-changes-in-hmg-use-1919-to-2020 .
(Myanmar, which was formerly called Burma, indeed has now a .mm domain. The change occurred in 89, so it was a bit early. They may never have got a ccTLD for "Burma" before being attributed the .mm)

•••
Humm, the country and its people would also benefit from it if there is a fair deal in place. The country could even sell the domains itself (public registrar). So, I don't think it's "unethical". Or it may be in the sense of solely changing your name for that purpose. But on a different level than what I understand you implied. I guess in today's world of competition, it would be kind of OK. The first would have the advantage of the "first mover advantage": Maybe the others simply haven't thought of doing this. After, rules may be changed to forbid every small country to do the same (assuming it's currently possible to have its ccTLD changed, which I don't know).

I'm not sure about the "legal costs". A country can probably decide quite unilaterally to change its name. I'm unsure of the indirect costs, but it may not be that much in the end.

Sure, I get that the country creation was merely "hypothetical", but the name change route, if possible, could be a serious thing to consider for a small island nation.

FYI, have a look at this: https://www.gov.uk/government/publi.../country-name-changes-in-hmg-use-1919-to-2020 .
(Myanmar, which was formerly called Burma, indeed has now a .mm domain. The change occurred in 89, so it was a bit early. They may never have got a ccTLD for "Burma" before being attributed the .mm)

Just my opinion, but everything worldwide with the old country name needs to be changed.

It could be profitable for a registrar, but can also cause issues down the track if the original owners didn't understand the contract.

One of our Pacific neighbours - Niue - redelegated their .nu extension years ago. Now they apparently want it back because they feel they got shafted.
https://www.namepros.com/threads/niue-wants-nu-redelegated.1220482/
In my post in that thread I also pointed out that Niue have leased out their telephone numbers.

Go figure.

Last edited:
•••

FYI, have a look at this:
It's basically rebranding and it's done all the time. My area of the world has been rebranding from "Hampton Roads" to "757". As the old saying goes, you have to spend money to make money, and i just spent $8 registering the domain KingofGo.com because as King, i declare we rebrand our country to be simply;

Go
Visit Go and Stay:xf.grin:

•••
Just my opinion, but everything worldwide with the old country name needs to be changed.
Sure. I don't know if you're only talking of the ccTLD or of everything. But even with the latter, for a small island nation, the "cost" doesn't seem very high. As for the ccTLD, if it isn't currently much used (all the more reasons to want to change it!), the cost isn't very high either.

Just imagine, something like the Pitcairn where they are like 50 people, putting their hands on the .go and setting up a public registrar. It would just be the jackpot for them. Nauru would be an extremely good candidate also. I'm pretty sure the 10K inhabitants can live a good life being entirely supported by the move.

To give a $1000 monthly allowance to everybody, you need $120 mil per year, that's 6 million domains at a margin of $20 per domain per year. 6 millions .go seem achievable. Double that and everybody receives $2000 every month. Free money. You would just have to change your country's name. Is "Nauru" that great you would want to keep it? ;) (again, assuming you can change your ccTLD, which I'm not sure about)

Last edited:
•••
Well, I am sure the people of Nauru are very proud of their island, one of few countries without Covid as far I know and they surely will not change the name for money. And this is good so. The name of a country has usually a relation to the language and a strong relation with the identity.

Also who knows a little more about Nauru will know that 1000$ are not such a big fortune there. Once Nauru was the richest country in the world by GDP per capita.

Also I think the ccTLD of Nauru, NR, is one of the most beautiful. In some places in Europe "Nr" is the short for "Number"

I own 1.nr - a really "number one" domain and really love it 😎 Just the renewals are hard at 500$/year and since I don't have much time to develop a website around this "number 1 / one number" idea I hope to find a buyer

Last edited:
•••
Sure. I don't know if you're only talking of the ccTLD or of everything. But even with the latter, for a small island nation, the "cost" doesn't seem very high. As for the ccTLD, if it isn't currently much used (all the more reasons to want to change it!), the cost isn't very high either.

Just imagine, something like the Pitcairn where they are like 50 people, putting their hands on the .go and setting up a public registrar. It would just be the jackpot for them. Nauru would be an extremely good candidate also. I'm pretty sure the 10K inhabitants can live a good life being entirely supported by the move.

To give a $1000 monthly allowance to everybody, you need $120 mil per year, that's 6 million domains at a margin of $20 per domain per year. 6 millions .go seem achievable. Double that and everybody receives $2000 every month. Free money. You would just have to change your country's name. Is "Nauru" that great you would want to keep it? ;) (again, assuming you can change your ccTLD, which I'm not sure about)

Thanks, some interesting points!

Yes, I actually did mean everything world-wide needs to be changed. Legal documents, maps, treaties, etc. It may not be too difficult for them if they are a small population, but it could be a headache for everyone else. So many country names have changed since I was a kid that I'm sure I'd fail at geography now.

I think that giving every national the same amount of money is pointless - it just sets off massive inflation. Everyone starts buying luxury goods from overseas while the local economy collapses.

Last edited:
•••
You can buy Goa from India and start from there.. just kidding!

•••
  • Maybe one day there will be such a domain name extension(y)

•••
•••
To prevent some political conflicts:
BidenMust.GO
KamalaMust.GO
TrumpMust.GO
I am shocked by this....Is there not a .GO? For real???

Get out the vote Republican. Go
Get out the vote Democrat.go

I could take it one 6th half dozen or another. Is there it a .GO??

What must we do bout this?

Last edited:
•••
Back