IT.COM

Where to park odd high-traffic domains?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
It is a common knowledge that some parking providers perform better than others on certain subject or certain geographical source of visitors. Testing several providers with a large unfocused portfolio of low-traffic domains solves the problem of optimal allocation. This kind of «random walk» is less efficient with a few high-traffic domains which, in my case, bring 95% of the overall parking income. With such domains, especially if they have unusual geographical focus («odd» – in my terminology), random walk among parking providers means considerable loss of revenue, which hurts! Occasionally one finds useful hints in this and other Forums, which may cut short a random walk and save Dollars.

It would be nice if domainers would communicate more openly their extraordinary experiences with parking providers that could be helpfull to others. With this in mind I am starting this thread, giving also my modest contribution based on the experience with my three top domains.

Case 1.
Over the course of 3 years I have parked my best domain, Sexy(something).com, with 4 different popular parking companies, whoever performed the best at the particular period. This domain has a steady number of visitors, about 330/day irrespective of the landing page, about 50% of them coming from Brasil! Its earning per day progressed from $1,7 in 2003 to $6,5 in summer 2006. Then it happened! I have discovered (at another Forum) that TrafficClub/Skenzo could be very good for some domains. In a few days with TC/Skenzo my income trippled! This lasted a year long, until Skenzo «upgraded» its platform two months ago, and earnings of many domains went drasticly down, often over 50%! I was about 30% down. I feel cheated when something like that happens and, as a matter of principle, change the parking service! The problem was, however, that TC/Skenzo were still paying twice as much as my earlier parking providers. My problem was solved where I expected the least: With the RevenueDirect! The revenue of my domain did not go up to the old level with Skenzo, it increased only half the way! Good enough to satisfy my pride. And, with RevenueDirect I have a benefit of only 5-days payment delay, instead of 45 days with TC/Skenzo.

Case 2.
One of my sleeping dot-com domains suddenly woke up in January. (Somebody created a popular site on its dot-net version, offering a free video downloading software!) Placed at TC/Skenzo its earnings went up from zero to $25 per day in just a few months. On the «upgraded» Skenzo platform it collapsed in July full 56%. Again, RevenueDirect happens to be the best replacement so far, recovering about 50% of the lost income. Since this domain is not really «odd», having largly international traffic, I still have to test it on Bodis.

Case 3.
Another of my sleeping dot-com domains woke up in March (its dot-net version carries now a music portal in Peru). After a good experience with TC/Skenzo, I have parked it there. With about 300 visitors per day it made a modest $1,6 per day. (Visitors are mostly from Peru!) Moving it to RevenueDirect in July I had a nice surprise of more than tripling the RPM, from $5,4 to $18,7! It performed miserably with some other popular parking services!

Don't understand me wrong!
I am not suggesting you to move your portfollio to RevenueDirect. With a large portfolio of low-traffic domains its performance is somewhere between NameDrive and Parked. I find it's Panel awfull! But, it performs surprisingly well for my 3 high-traffic domains! And for me this counts more than tripling the income from the rest of my 1000+ large portfolio.

Could we have some striking examples from others?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back