IT.COM

poll When would you consider the domains as your own?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

After a transaction, when would you consider the domains as being yours?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • As soon as the domains are in my account and the money is in theirs.

votes
    77.8%
  • 12 hours.

votes
    0.0%
  • 1 Day

vote
    11.1%
  • 3 Days

votes
    0.0%
  • 1 Week

votes
    0.0%
  • 2 Weeks

votes
    0.0%
  • 1 Month

vote
    11.1%
  • 3 Months

votes
    0.0%
  • 6 Month

votes
    0.0%
  • 1 Year+

votes
    0.0%
  • Abstain From Voting

votes
    0.0%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

LucidDomains

LucidDomains.comTop Member
Impact
Lets say you enter into a transaction with another party to buy domains. At what point after that transaction has occurred would you consider the domains to be yours and no longer the sellers and that any potential issue that occurred with the domains are now your problem?

This question is triggered by the Shane Bellone scam thread and I do agree that the whole scam was premeditated from the beginning however he has mentioned in the limited information he released that the domains were "stuck" and "defective" after 3 months, I'm pretty sure this was a lie, but regardless my question is simple.

After a transaction has taken place, when would you consider the domains as your property and no longer anything to do with the seller?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
In my experience, the name is never your own. You only own a lease, and there seem to be numerous ways you can lose that lease.

•••
I know some domainers offer a money back guarantee for 1-2 weeks to end-users... this question is more to do with a domainer to domainer perspective however if you want to vote 1-2 weeks, that totally up to you and how you do business.

All votes are anonymous.

Last edited:
•••
I revisited the OP, and I would like to comment on what I believe to be the sentiment behind the question.

Domain names, are Internet real estate, and therefore they should have similar transfer and payment properties to brick and mortar properties. We employ lawyers to oversee the transfer of such properties, and I guess escrow companies perform a limited function in this area for domains. We should have confirmed payment services to settle the purchase. That cuts out credit cards, and PayPal. It should include cash, gold, Bitcoin and bank transfers. Payment services like Payoneer who offer escrow, should ensure that any paryments are confirmed and non-reversible.

The same considertions should apply to name transfers. In most cases the transfer is pretty straightforward, and when you receive the nme in your registrar account, that should be final. Unfortunately, fraud and theft are present in the domain name world, and some registrars will put up a name for auction before the owner of the lease has lost title. Should the name achieve a high price, it seems some registrars are reluctant to pass on this, and will try to invent reasons to block the return of the name to it's rightful owner. There are also cases when registreants have lost control of their account or email address, and have been victims of attempts to steal domain names.

I don't know how we can protect ourselves in these situations. I suspect that at some time in the future someone will create a PoS blockchain, and multiple domain name owners could run nodes to preserve the integrity of the chain.

•••
Back