NameSilo

discuss When will the next New gTLDs launch? And Which? And who gets the first dibs?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I have never seen a launch of new gTLDs, so I am not sure how it happens. I have only seen press release etc in retrospect.

SO when so new gTLDs get released?
Was .travel the last one that released?

And when they do get released, who get the first dibs?
I have a feeling they are offered to whales, but, I would prefer if they did an auction of sorts instead of sharing with a inner circle, which I am not sure, just asking, because it makes sense.

Personally I think donuts is onto a great business.
Personally I also think it would be foolish to discount the gTLDs as much as it would be foolish to buy senseless gTLDs

Laser Related Word + gTLD is a win. Treating gTLDs on par with .com, co, even ccTLDs will be foolish.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
There's a lot of work to be done yet on the ICANN side of things so it could be 2023/2024 at the earliest. The .TRAVEL was one of the mid 2000s (2005) new gTLDs.

Regards...jmcc

•••
There's a lot of work to be done yet on the ICANN side of things so it could be 2023/2024 at the earliest. The .TRAVEL was one of the mid 2000s (2005) new gTLDs.

Regards...jmcc
When they do get released, is there an Auction or it is first come first serve.. Algorithmic regger's first

•••
When they do get released, is there an Auction or it is first come first serve.. Algorithmic regger's first
The applications to run the new gTLDs in the next round haven't even been submitted yet. The activity of some of the registries in the last round ended up killing their gTLDs. Too many domain names were reserved as premium. The same trademark/early access/landrush approach might be used but most of the last round new gTLDs are in terrible (a few hundred new registrations a month) shape.

Regards...jmcc

•••
Too many domain names were reserved as premium.

Hi

that is particularly true for new gtlds that have limited keywords which fit the extension.

imo....

•••
Hi

that is particularly true for new gtlds that have limited keywords which fit the extension.

imo....
Most ew gTLDS have limited keywords that fit they extension and they are only good for those, otherwise I would rather have a Brand+keyword.com for all practical purposes

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back