IT.COM

new gtlds What’s new with the new gTLDs?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Whizzbang

VIP Member
ParkLogic.com
Impact
I’ve recently been reviewing a number of new gTLDs to better understand the trends and which ones will potentially be of greater value than others. In my opinion, this regular practice is crucial for any investor that is wanting to gauge when is the best time to stomp down their cash and invest in an extension.

Overall, the new gTLDs have not had a spectacularly good year. The number of registrations peaked in April at just over 29.5 million but since then there has been a sharp decline to just over 23 million. To better understand what’s going on I dug into some good and bad examples of new gTLDs.

20170906_gtld1a.gif

.CLUB has been the poster child of the new gTLDs and in many respects, rightly so. Backed by a solid team their focused marketing has meant they’ve built what appears to be a good solid base of registrants that are using the extension.

Read More >

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Thank you for the research! Doesn't look good for .top.

•••
Because tons of CHIPs were dropped, that's why.

•••
Thanks for the post, Michael.
Other than .club, which extensions did you find to be building a sustainable business model, and which ones do you invest in?

•••
Sorry but this topic is waste of time for domain investors.

Those statistics should be registries` concern not the domain investors.

I think it is useless to discuss extensions only, what makes a domain a good domain is not the extensions alone.

See there are millions of .com domains with meaningless combinations but there are also great ones...

Same applies for new gTLDs.

•••
Sorry but this topic is waste of time for domain investors.

Those statistics should be registries` concern not the domain investors.

I think it is useless to discuss extensions only, what makes a domain a good domain is not the extensions alone.

See there are millions of .com domains with meaningless combinations but there are also great ones...

Same applies for new gTLDs.
I would agree and disagree with your points.
What the numbers show is the adoption for an extension by the public. One of the great things about .com is that it has brand recognition in itself and people (majority USA based) assume the Internet is .com. As new gTLDs get into the "wild" there will be marketing dollars applied by business adopters applied to them. The more businesses, the more marketing dollars and the greater the likelihood of brand recognition for the extension itself.

From an investors perspective the numbers are also leading indicators of which registries will continue to have the dollars to continue to pour into marketing.....or even survive. For instance, Uniregistry is unlikely to spend up big on marketing for .tattoo.

To me it's all about supply and demand. Right now, supply is MASSIVE and demand has remained relatively constant. So in terms of which extensions I'm investing in.....well, that's an interesting question and one that I'll keep to myself. I will say that I don't speculate.....I always go back to numbers. In terms of the new gTLDs.....I still think we have another 4 years to run on most of them before we see sufficient adoption to make it worthwhile from an investment perspective.....maybe time for another blog!

•••
I personally renew only 1 .store, 2 .shop, 1 .shopping, 1 .art, 1 .me, 1 .news, 1 .taxi, 1 .club, and Iam going to renew all my .fun domains. And of course Iam going to renew my 1 .VG domain! :D
Iam Not planning to register any other nGTLDs from now on, just renew my actual ones.

•••
Back