NameSilo

discuss When u get that pity offer

Namecheap AuctionsNamecheap Auctions
Namecheap AuctionsNamecheap Auctions
SpaceshipSpaceship
Watch

take 1k spacetechorg?

  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • yes

    12 
    votes
    38.7%
  • no

    19 
    votes
    61.3%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

alcy

check signatureTop Member
Impact
45,473
so i got one of em pty offers.. u know... dog ate my wallet so only 20 us left... or I'm a student...

well this fellow is university teacher... possible not small school... I would assume they are not exactly poor

so I got 1k on spacetechorg which is cool future name.. been renewing like 7yr...

plz take poll if I should take
or discuss here

his 1st price 1k ... me 20k .. then his speech.. then me 10k

waiting.
 
0
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
GoDaddyGoDaddy
Decent term. Solid fit in .org.

If I owned it, I would want upper X,XXX range.

Brad
 
8
•••
One company owns the .biz and .info, and they forward to an awful domain spacetech-i (dot) com.

This domain is a lot better than it seems at first glance, end user wise. It would be a domain upgrade for many end users.

The term is taken in a lot of company names (OpenCorporates), 100+ extensions. It's just a solid domain.

Brad
 
Last edited:
11
•••
One company owns the .biz and .info, and they forward to an awful domain spacetech-i (dot) com.
There are two major conferences (EU/US) with the exact name, as well. It's a huge industry.

Edit: even more, in other regions.
 
Last edited:
16
•••
There are two major conferences (EU/US) with the exact name, as well. It's a huge industry.
Yeah. Maybe I would actually want more after looking further into it.

I certainly would not take anything close to $1K.

Worse domains sell daily for higher prices, even on the reseller market.

Brad
 
10
•••
I'd stay firm at 10k and not move any lower. Best of Luck.
 
7
•••
Also, this is the perfect opportunity to use the squeeze method. It works perfect when you have little to lose.

https://www.namepros.com/threads/fixed-price-strategy.1234815/post-8232977

And the fact that you already lowered it doesn't even matter. Just frame it as:

" You reached out to me, and I wanted to help you out. But after sending you the counter offer I did a little analysis on the domain and realized I had made a huge mistake when I priced it x years ago. At the end of the week I'm going to raise the price significantly, but I can still honor the price I gave you of $10k until the end of the day Friday.

As you can see, the term is used in 900 other domains and the domain is registered in 68 extensions (shown below). "

1753742593115.png
 
Last edited:
2
•••
so i got one of em pty offers.. u know... dog ate my wallet so only 20 us left... or I'm a student...

well this fellow is university teacher... possible not small school... I would assume they are not exactly poor

so I got 1k on spacetechorg which is cool future name.. been renewing like 7yr...

plz take poll if I should take
or discuss here

his 1st price 1k ... me 20k .. then his speech.. then me 10k

waiting.
Congrats (Fish-on) - (A playful term simply meaning a lead took some bait, is wiggling on the hook, and is waiting to be reeled in before the hook or line breaks)...

I think others have already expressed that the domain is worth more than $1k, you dropped the price too fast (50%) which may have created value doubt, and that the term/combination it strong enough to hold out a bit longer.

Depending if it's a student or faculty at the University determines if it's a big fish or little fish on the line.

Probing questions can help to determine that in your negotiations (Examples):
  • Are you building something local, national, or global?
  • Have you explored similar domain names already to see why this one is the best fit for your venture?
  • Are you planning a full site launch soon or just wanting to secure the domain for now?
But then, i suppose it really doesn't matter. Regardless if they are a big fish or little fish, if they are not willing to pay your acquisition price, they can't get the domain anyways.

While, sticking to your guns and not lowering your price anymore could mean a better sale later (If the line breaks on this one), if you need the cash-flow now, once they counter, you could always use the classic close option.

For instance, you're at $10k, if they come back at $5k, you can respond with something like:
"Look, I'm at $10k and you're at $5k. We both know the domain is worth a bit more in today's market. so, let's meet in the middle at $7.5k so we can both feel like we got a good deal today.

Do you already have an escrow service in mind or would you like me to suggest one I normally use?"
 
4
•••
Congrats (Fish-on) - (A playful term simply meaning a lead took some bait, is wiggling on the hook, and is waiting to be reeled in before the hook or line breaks)...

I think others have already expressed that the domain is worth more than $1k, you dropped the price too fast (50%) which may have created value doubt, and that the term/combination it strong enough to hold out a bit longer.

Depending if it's a student or faculty at the University determines if it's a big fish or little fish on the line.

Probing questions can help to determine that in your negotiations (Examples):
  • Are you building something local, national, or global?
  • Have you explored similar domain names already to see why this one is the best fit for your venture?
  • Are you planning a full site launch soon or just wanting to secure the domain for now?
But then, i suppose it really doesn't matter. Regardless if they are a big fish or little fish, if they are not willing to pay your acquisition price, they can't get the domain anyways.

While, sticking to your guns and not lowering your price anymore could mean a better sale later (If the line breaks on this one), if you need the cash-flow now, once they counter, you could always use the classic close option.

For instance, you're at $10k, if they come back at $5k, you can respond with something like:
"Look, I'm at $10k and you're at $5k. We both know the domain is worth a bit more in today's market. so, let's meet in the middle at $7.5k so we can both feel like we got a good deal today.

Do you already have an escrow service in mind or would you like me to suggest one I normally use?"

ty .. he is faculty.
says this would be nice for his students.

I got the pity letter after I said 20k. so that's when I cut it by half. so I do not think it was too fast. ;)
 
7
•••
ty .. he is faculty.
says this would be nice for his students.
The field of space technology is vast, covering everything from propulsion and satellite design to robotics, materials, and space medicine. Professors specializing in any of these areas at major research universities would likely be active in conferences relevant to their niche.
 
8
•••
ty .. he is faculty.
says this would be nice for his students.

I got the pity letter after I said 20k. so that's when I cut it by half. so I do not think it was too fast. ;)

With the millions in grants out there, you can put time in between now and your next response and see what he does. There's no reason he can't wait a few months for a discounted domain. His program will be perceived much better with a domain like this and could most likely receive higher grant approvals with the better perception.

I'm just saying to be careful. By him focusing that it will "be nice for his students" is mostly pulling at your heartstrings. Students come and go in programs like that every 1-2 years.

The long-term value will likely benefit:
  • The Professor's Own Research Visibility
  • Their Future Grant Applications
  • Their Positioning as a Thought Leader or Program Founder
  • Institutional Partnerships and Funding Appeal
A branded domain like space *****.org:
  • Creates a public-facing identity for a lab or initiative
  • Helps the professor stand out from peers in a crowded academic field
  • Signals seriousness to NASA, NSF, industry sponsors, and university administrators
  • Can be referenced in future grant proposals, outreach campaigns, and consortium-building efforts
 
Last edited:
9
•••
This domain represents the entire industry and collaboration between many partners in a global ecosystem. It transcends purely academia. Therefore, consider it as such. Many countries are working on this.
 
13
•••
You get a reply yet? Just donate it for good cause
 
2
•••
you've already given him a huge discount on a Good Name @alcy Let him come to you now or even twice with any more reasons he's got. See if he's taking the 10k or still looking for a tiny / more discount. You can tell him that the generous 50% off you gave him was the max & out of respect for his request. Let him also know that the offer expires soon. Everyone here likes the name and knows the value so thats a huge win✌️
 
2
•••
ty .. he is faculty.
says this would be nice for his students.

I got the pity letter after I said 20k. so that's when I cut it by half. so I do not think it was too fast. ;)
Even if you moved too fast to start with, you don't have to move any more on price.

There are enough end users out there with better use cases and deeper pockets.

I would just tell the party we are not close on price and leave it there.

I would consider paying their offer range as an investor, so I know the offer is way too low.

Brad
 
Last edited:
8
•••
good commenta. ty.

I think generally mentioning u work for university wont help u get discounts as they seem not poor in usa but hey at least he is honest and its not another dog are my wallet excuse.

I didnt really get offers over 1k before. but I know this Is a futuristic name.

I gave it final chance by asking his dept max price. if it falls 5 to 10k ill do it.

I also offered 12mo lto on that 10k.. I dont see how big university cant do under 1k a month fee. they spend more on cleaning toilet products monthly..
 
2
•••
if it falls 5 to 10k ill do it.
Srsly...

Perhaps you could tell him that both of you might be underestimating the potential of this domain in the rapidly expanding space industry.

Given your strong belief in this booming sector, you'd be willing to offer it at a remarkably low price to facilitate its use.

Maybe even wholesale.
 
1
•••
Even if you moved too fast to start with, you don't have to move any more on price.
This too is easily resolved by including a reasonable expiration date on the offer. It’s not backtracking—just adding a fair caveat.
 
3
•••
I think my 20k was not unreasonable as some said. nor I think a 50% cut after his pity letter was u reasonable or too fast. if anything it was a nice and reasonable response to a nice reasonable and above all true based on his email address.

what may not be true is that they cant afford to pay more. I'm sure this isn't coming out of teachers pocket.
 
1
•••
Like I mentioned in my prior post, I would put a deadline on the discount you gave (like this Friday).

Then don't answer any of his emails about lowering the price until Friday. Time will do all the work for you.

It will put him in a totally different mode of thinking.
 
2
•••
It's cool. And 10k might enough to reg more valuable .org(s)
 
0
•••
Appraise.net

We're social

Escrow.com
Spaceship
Escrowly
CryptoExchange.com
Domain Recover
AIVikings
Catchy
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back