IT.COM

When to use a dropcatch service?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

kwolfz

Established Member
Impact
Hey all
New user here looking to get into domain flipping, probably targeting pending delete domains found on expireddomains.net. I have seen some promising domains, but have not been sure if I should try to catch them myself by handreg after the drop or shell out the extra money for a dropcatching service that could cut out a lot of potential profit. I'm wondering how you all determine what kind of domains are worth paying for a service to get or if you have any relevant strategies you could share.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Welcome to Namepros. Enjoy your time here...

Since you're new, I'd suggest a few strategies:

1. Don't backorder or register anything yet. Simply watch them - Make a list of domains daily that you're interested in backordering and then track them to see if they get backordered and if they do, at what price do they sell.
2. Read more on the forums. You're new, don't get excited and order domains that are not worth what you "feel" they are. Again here, I'd highly recommend doing shadow trading to hone your skils.
3. Read some more

•••
Excellent points by @anantj - especially tracking and watching WITHOUT buying. There are decent domains every single day and there will continue to be decent domains every. single. day. Don't rush out of fear of loss or get emotionally attached to any domain, another just as decent domain will be available tomorrow. And the next day, and next week, and next year.

In general, start by reading these two threads:
https://www.namepros.com/threads/a-new-member-asks.973449/

https://www.namepros.com/threads/follow-my-20dollar-to-a-baller-challenge.938384/

4. Read even more : wink :

PS also helpful to chose a non-default avatar so we can have an easier time identifying you : smile :

Welcome!

•••
Hey all
New user here looking to get into domain flipping, probably targeting pending delete domains found on expireddomains.net. I have seen some promising domains, but have not been sure if I should try to catch them myself by handreg after the drop or shell out the extra money for a dropcatching service that could cut out a lot of potential profit. I'm wondering how you all determine what kind of domains are worth paying for a service to get or if you have any relevant strategies you could share.

hahahha, I see im not the only one who spend time thinking that questions.
From my very low experience there are many domains we see for example pending delete on expireddomains.net that for sure you will not catch by handreg the next day because there are many domainers looking for that so you will have to bet.

the dropcatching service are good but i think does not work with the top level domains because many people are using the same service.

Am i wrong?

•••
Welcome to Namepros. Enjoy your time here...

Since you're new, I'd suggest a few strategies:

1. Don't backorder or register anything yet. Simply watch them - Make a list of domains daily that you're interested in backordering and then track them to see if they get backordered and if they do, at what price do they sell.
2. Read more on the forums. You're new, don't get excited and order domains that are not worth what you "feel" they are. Again here, I'd highly recommend doing shadow trading to hone your skils.
3. Read some more

Thanks for the advice. Is there a way to tell how much a domain sold for that was caught by namejet or snapnames? Or the number of bidders in a private auction? Namebio doesn't seem to show the few recent catches that I tried.

•••
Thanks for the advice. Is there a way to tell how much a domain sold for that was caught by namejet or snapnames? Or the number of bidders in a private auction? Namebio doesn't seem to show the few recent catches that I tried.
No. You'll have to be a participant to track private auctions. If a name has several bidders, it's usually safe to place the minimum bid and then not bid further. That said, I must add the disclaimer: As highly unlikely it seems, it is possible, in theory, for all other bidders to withdraw their bid prior to the auction start which means you might be left holding the bag. As I said, it's very highly unlikely but you never know. I'd recommend that you make sure you are fine with winning a domain if this does happen. And please PM me if this happens. Just to see this event I'll give you a cookie (or maybe a free domain of my choice ;) - Proof or it did not happen)

•••
We don't currently publish results that ended below $100, although we do track them. If you want to PM me some of the domains I can look them up and tell you which ones we tracked, what they ended at, etc. so you can try to get an idea of what happened.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back