IT.COM

question How DropCatch System Works?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Vansh Kumar

Established Member
Impact
Hi, I am new in Domain Flipping also I am a Python Programer. I listen about DropCatch.com Which will catch dropped Domains for us. I want to know that How Drop Catch System Works ? I am Python Programmer and Creating a Drop Catch System Looks so Easy for Me. My Questions is ->

1. is DropCatch is a Registrator ? Or It uses Any else Registrator's API? If uses else's API then This is Only One Registrator or More then ONE ?

2. How many requests per second made by dropCatch ? If this more than 1 then is every request made by different Registrator?

If I will get Good Answers from Above Questions then I can Easily Make a Drop Catch System. Waiting for Answers :)

Try to Answer these Questions Briefly.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
First of all, no single person that is not an accredited registrar, has direct access to the EPP protocol communication to the registry server.

Therefore, users need to send their packets to an API of an accredited registrar.

That means your "program" needs to wait the network latency of reaching the registrar. This latency, in the 1 to 100 milliseconds, means the registrar (Dropcatch) is already ahead of you because as a registrar it has direct access to the EPP registry (Verisign) server, and can therefore skip the intermediary step, resulting in a "create x domain" packet that reaches the verisign server before you.

Additionally, every registrar competes with each other by using its allocated "requests per second" quota. So at some point a registrar will be waiting on a queue. It so happens that TurnCommerce (Dropcatch) has hundreds of registrars, and therefore bypasses this limit by simply using another one of its registrars.

Last edited:
•••
First of all, no single person that is not an accredited registrar, has direct access to the EPP protocol communication to the registry server.

Therefore, users need to send their packets to an API of an accredited registrar.

That means your "program" needs to wait the network latency of reaching the registrar. This latency, in the 1 to 100 milliseconds, means the registrar (Dropcatch) is already ahead of you because as a registrar it has direct access to the EPP registry (Verisign) server, and can therefore skip the intermediary step, resulting in a "create x domain" packet that reaches the verisign server before you.

Additionally, every registrar competes with each other by using its allocated "requests per second" quota. So at some point a registrar will be waiting on a queue. It so happens that TurnCommerce (Dropcatch) has hundreds of registrars, and therefore bypasses this limit by simply using another one of its registrars.
You said DropCatch has Direct access to regeistry so my Question is how this has the Direct Access ? Is DropCatch is a Registrator?
You said DropCatch has 100+ Registrator so what it means ? If I create my Own Script(Program) I will add 100+ Registrators API so this can be done easily....

One more Question to You.... If I want to Create Same System as DropCatch so what i need to Do? I Know Python Programming Which is Fast so Just I want to Know What is Steps to Create that System ? How Can i Get Direct Access to Versign Registry? I have Another Idea that can i get Direct Access to Registry by Another Registrator ??

Please tell me in Brief

•••
Please tell me in Brief

If you want the same setup as Dropcatch you just need some millions of dollars to use for registering hundreds of accredited registrars with icann. I hope it is a brief enough answer.

•••
You said DropCatch has Direct access to regeistry so my Question is how this has the Direct Access ? Is DropCatch is a Registrator?
You said DropCatch has 100+ Registrator so what it means ? If I create my Own Script(Program) I will add 100+ Registrators API so this can be done easily....

One more Question to You.... If I want to Create Same System as DropCatch so what i need to Do? I Know Python Programming Which is Fast so Just I want to Know What is Steps to Create that System ? How Can i Get Direct Access to Versign Registry? I have Another Idea that can i get Direct Access to Registry by Another Registrator ??

Please tell me in Brief
He is wrong. Dropcatch has over 1000 registrars, not 100+. Well technically not wrong, but still. it is over 1000 registrars, Or rather the parent comopany of dropcatch servce OWNs over 1000 registrars. SO yes you can say Dropcatch is a registrar

Last edited:
•••
•••
Why I need Register accredited registrars ? I can use their ApI ?

First I'll Try to Catch Less Authority Domains and Sell them. From that Money I'll Increase My System So that is my Current Plan. Spending Millions is Not Possible 😂 Because I have Currently 0$. Just tell me How Drop Catch System Works Exactly ? I am Researching on Drop Catch System.... I am Creating a Free Technique to Catch Domains.... Reply me Exact Technique of Drop Catch Which Requests is made by DropCatch ? If this has 1000 of Registrators then I can also Use use 1000+ Registrator's APIs

@blogspotter @passini Wating for Your Replies :D

•••
Why I need Register accredited registrars ? I can use their ApI ?

First I'll Try to Catch Less Authority Domains and Sell them. From that Money I'll Increase My System So that is my Current Plan. Spending Millions is Not Possible 😂 Because I have Currently 0$. Just tell me How Drop Catch System Works Exactly ? I am Researching on Drop Catch System.... I am Creating a Free Technique to Catch Domains.... Reply me Exact Technique of Drop Catch Which Requests is made by DropCatch ? If this has 1000 of Registrators then I can also Use use 1000+ Registrator's APIs

@blogspotter @passini Wating for Your Replies :D

jona4s explained to you above
You can't compete with API. Is drop catch crazy to 1000s of registrars when you can use an API?

Your API will so far behind in the queue that you might as well hand register.
People use their own drop catch using API simply to automate hand registration and not try to beat other drop catcher.

I will tell you can example of APIs too
Dynadot allocates use of it's API to anybody but there is also a queue there.
The person with the highest dynadot usage has the highest priority,
Meaning if I use my API in your software and I spent $1000 while you only spent $900 in buying domains, renewals etc this year so far, I will get higher priority than you.

Like I said the only people you will beat are the hand registrators so you will not likely get any domains that you can resell in the wholesale.
Buying domains that can be resold is not a matter of speed but how good you are in domain selection. if you are good in selection, you can simply backorder them at a slight premium and still resell at a profit..

•••
jona4s explained to you above
You can't compete with API. Is drop catch crazy to 1000s of registrars when you can use an API?

Your API will so far behind in the queue that you might as well hand register.
People use their own drop catch using API simply to automate hand registration and not try to beat other drop catcher.

I will tell you can example of APIs too
Dynadot allocates use of it's API to anybody but there is also a queue there.
The person with the highest dynadot usage has the highest priority,
Meaning if I use my API in your software and I spent $1000 while you only spent $900 in buying domains, renewals etc this year so far, I will get higher priority than you.

Like I said the only people you will beat are the hand registrators so you will not likely get any domains that you can resell in the wholesale.
Buying domains that can be resold is not a matter of speed but how good you are in domain selection. if you are good in selection, you can simply backorder them at a slight premium and still resell at a profit..
Thanks for Your Reply. Now I understood Easily. I have Checked the WhoIS of Some Domains which was Dropped and Catched by DropCatch and I've Seen the Domain Regisetrator of Every Domain It is Like "DropCatch 1091 LLC" etc... So Now This is Cleared that Catching Dropped Domains is not Possible with APIs. We Need Direct Contact with the TLD Registry to Beat DropCatch System. Also I think that DropCatch System Make Requests from every Registrator He Own so we can't beat DropCatch system Until we Own these number of Registrators. Can you tell me any another way to make Direct Contact with Registery ? Or any other way to beat DropCatch?

•••
Thanks for Your Reply. Now I understood Easily. I have Checked the WhoIS of Some Domains which was Dropped and Catched by DropCatch and I've Seen the Domain Regisetrator of Every Domain It is Like "DropCatch 1091 LLC" etc... So Now This is Cleared that Catching Dropped Domains is not Possible with APIs. We Need Direct Contact with the TLD Registry to Beat DropCatch System. Also I think that DropCatch System Make Requests from every Registrator He Own so we can't beat DropCatch system Until we Own these number of Registrators. Can you tell me any another way to make Direct Contact with Registery ? Or any other way to beat DropCatch?
Acquire more registrars than dropcatch. 5000 registrars can beat both dropcatch and namejet/snapnames

•••
Acquire more registrars than dropcatch. 5000 registrars can beat both dropcatch and namejet/snapnames
Is there any FREE way? 😜 I don't have. Money Currently I will try to make this System in Future

•••
Is there any FREE way? 😜 I don't have. Money Currently I will try to make this System in Future

Unfortunately there is not a free way and there is not a cheap way with .com domains.

If you want to catch .cctlds there are some not so expensive options but be prepared to drop a few thousands for every extension.

By the way I had for a few time a direct epp connection via one wholesale registrar that was offering this to his reseller, I was catching one specific cctld and the results were a little better than with my api software but not enough to get the really best names...

Last edited:
•••
Can I know who is whole sale Registrator ? @passini

Last edited:
•••
Difficult answer; DropCatch gamed the system.

They’re a cartel bro; it is like asking;

“How does “OPEC work?” Same to me
Own much limited resource; cost intrusive one.

Own what feels like thousands! Just to Catch..
And they get most of the time.. Theyve secure all 3-4L.com drops for foreseeable future.

What % DC; “retail registrars”? NS, GD, etc
What % are “Drop” non-retail registrars?
Not even named!! “DC #..” @jmcc; Déjà vu?

Last edited:
•••
Can I know who is whole sale Registrator ? @passini

I can't share because they were not advertising this service openly, it was years ago and now they catch the names themselves so I am sure they don't give away the epp access during the dropping time but just for normal operations (if they still do).

But I want to ask you something. What is your goal? Are you already a domainer? I ask because you just joined the forum. You want to catch the names for you and resell them or catch names for others?

Last edited:
•••
If a python program/application was all that was needed, anyone with some cash and a Fiverr or Upwork account could be the next DropCatch. I commend the enthusiasm though. There is always a way to beat "The Man". A person just has to have the money or develop the way using methods not yet created or thought of. SnapNames/NameJet does not have nearly half the registrars (maybe with Network Solutions if in the mix??) as DropCatch does, yet they score roughly 50% of what DropCatch snags. More recently, I feel SnapNames/NameJet has been caught more than DropCatch has, but it seems to change. DropCatch simply has the numbers when it comes to registrars though.

On the surface, DropCatch.com is not anything special. Their website and UI is rather crude and nothing too advanced. The whole site has a chunkiness type feel to it, with the overall feel of their client UI area being straight out of 2013. Although SnapName's client UI is NOT much better (maybe even slightly worse in some aspects).

Seeing there are 2357 accredited registrars (using my crude calculation methods), a person would have to start 2643 new registrars from scratch to get to 5000. Using my crude methods again, I put DropCatch at "only" overseeing roughly 1252 registrars right now. I believe 5000 registrars would safely get anyone over the mark as to ousted DropCatch.

If aiming to match DropCatch (1252 registrars), the downside, maybe, maybe not, is having to cough up roughly $4,382,000.00 in upfront, non-refundable ICANN application fees. Then "if" everything went "perfect", the additional $5,008,000.00 in accreditation fees would instantly become due. That brings this adventure to about $9,390,000.00 just to apply, then hopefully ICANN would approve all 1252.

I assume around this same amount would be needed to create 1252 legitimate entities that would be able to fulfill the requirements of ICANN to obtain accredited registrar approval for each of them? On top, I assume a person would need a staff, along with some foreseeable overhead?

The good thing though, (y) after this cash infused dust storm were to settle is waiting for all 1252 emails from ICANN to roll in with your approvals.

The first parts I would breeze right through. My problem would be after all is said and done, failing when I couldn't prove to ICANN I had the ability to liquidate $70,000.00 at any given moment after spending everything I had to get to that point. :banghead: Technically, the 4.3 million would get me to the point of failer I assume. :woot:

Last edited:
•••
I can't share because they were not advertising this service openly, it was years ago and now they catch the names themselves so I am sure they don't give away the epp access during the dropping time but just for normal operations (if they still do).

But I want to ask you something. What is your goal? Are you already a domainer? I ask because you just joined the forum. You want to catch the names for you and resell them or catch names for others?
I am a New Domainer. Else I am a Programmer. I want to Catch Dropped Domains for myself so that's why my interest was gone in Creating a Drop Catch System But According to @NameVP First we need Money then we can do it. So Currently I'm a Student so I can't do it 😐

•••
I am a New Domainer. Else I am a Programmer. I want to Catch Dropped Domains for myself so that's why my interest was gone in Creating a Drop Catch System But According to @NameVP First we need Money then we can do it. So Currently I'm a Student so I can't do it 😐

Very few names that drop a day that are worth anything, might be cheaper to just buy the ones that you like. Most good names would've been picked up during an expiring auction somewhere.

•••
Difficult answer; DropCatch gamed the system.

They’re a cartel bro; it is like asking;
Not so much a cartel as a school of sharks. Some are megalodons like Turncommerce/Dropcatch and there are killer whales and great whites. If someone is trying to dropcatch as a non-registrar, they are plankton on the dropcatch shark scale. Some of the really valuable domain names no longer go through the drop process because the registrars grab them after they expire and move them to their auction sites. At least with OPEC, there's a semblance of courtesy and regulation.

The same question about dropcatching keeps getting asked again and again. It is like High Frequency Trading where milliseconds matter. The more connections that a dropcatcher has to the registry backend, the higher the chances that they will catch the domain name they want. If someone is trying to compete with these players through a retail registrar (a registrar that sells to the public), then they are at an extreme disadvantage. The dropcatchers may be able to hit the registry for the same time thousands of times in the space of a few seconds. The non-registrar may only have one connection that may depend on the retail registrar running a script to register a domain name after the payment (that's a killer for many DIY-dropcatching schemes) is approved. If the retail registrar checks for payment approval before registering the domain domain name, then that adds an extra few seconds to the process and by then, the valuable domain name is long gone.

Regards...jmcc

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back