Dynadot

question When should I add a dash between words for .de domains?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

DomainNature

Top Member
Impact
Hello, dear NamePros.
As per title, so i have begin to invest in (.de) domain names but i wonder when to add the dash, cause i see some domains are registered with dash between words but those without dash are available for registration.
I m interested to register 2 English word domains, but i see that some Dutch words are similar to English words, which is very good.
Let me give an example so you tell me which one would be better to register.
appbox or app-box
homelab or home-lab
This is just an example i m not sure if they are available!
Thank you for all the help.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
appbox is better than app-box

•••
I m interested to register 2 English word domains, but i see that some Dutch words are similar to English words, which is very good.

You should probably use German words for .de domains and Dutch for .nl. ;)

•••
Don't go for dashes if you decide to register some .nl's. ;) As for .de's, it really depends. E.g. appbox would be better than app-box imo. If you'd combine two existing German words, dashes may be preferred.

•••
Omg very sorry i have mean German language, for some reason i have confused German with Dutch. :D
Thank you for good advices.

•••
Omg very sorry i have mean German language, for some reason i have confused German with Dutch. :D
Thank you for good advices.

It happens all the time. We don't take it personally ;)

That being said, if you don't understand a certain niche, steer clear of it. The German ccTLD is a very mature one. Everything good is long gone and if you're looking to handreg you'll need to put in a lot of time and effort to get up to speed. Not easy if you don't speak the language.

Forget about English words unless they're truly premium, again, those aren't available to reg.

Generally speaking, when you're just starting out as a domainer, forget about cctlds (unless it's repurposed) and stick to gTLDs.

•••
When should i add a dash between words for .de domains?
Only in case the non - dashed - version (what a paradoxon) of the same word - combination isn't available - in other words, non - dashed domain names are the better investment, even in Germany.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back