NameSilo

advice When buying domain names, do you buy from someone or look for one not sold yet?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

mr.forex

I can't stopEstablished Member
Impact
Hey all,

I am trying to expand my domain name buying experience and had a question for all of you.

I was reading a thread in there about everyones 2016 new years domain resolutions, and everyone keeps talking about getting good 4L.com's, LNNN.com's, and some good one word domains...etc, etc...

Now my question is, when people say this, do they mean they are searching hours on end at a place like godaddy for ones that have not been purchased and or recently put back up for sale, or are you buyign from other people, as in auctions and websites like Flippa, here, godaddy auctions, etc?

Should I be starting to look into buying domains from auctions? instead of spending hours on godaddy trying to find a domain name? hahahah

Sorry for the silly question guys and gals...

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Generally what posters mean is that they are buying from other domainers as all the domains you quoted have already been registered.

Perhaps what you should do is look to your own knowledge and experience (hobbies, work, sports, consumer purchases, television, music, reading, internet, etc.) and look for domains you understand and have an understanding of the possible usage such domains might acquire, this way you will 'stand a chance' of registering an unregistered domain that might have some worth. To try and increase what is seen as 'quality of your portfolio' by purchasing domains on the aftermarket will be expensive and even perhaps a little more risky even just paying 'reseller price' to a domainer for a domain rather than registering a domain that you have some understanding of for less than $10.

Just my 2 pennyworth of advice, but remember most people expect change from that 2 pence! :laugh:

•••
Thanks for the great advice - I think I will stick to buying unregistered ones for now, mainly from something I know like Travel, etc.

I am starting to look into domains such as NLLL.com's (number, letter letter letter) - But I am not sure how people gauge their worth? I have only 1 domain that is a NLLL

•••
I think LNNN's are a good bet for reasonable growth over the next 3-5 years, but please note I use the word 'bet' on purpose.

Hopefully others will post soon with their opinions which may well contain words of wisdom, for it should be noted that I am not a domaining millionaire so either my domaining philiosophy is wrong or I am just a bad domainer - or of course there is the possibility both together apply! LOL

•••
End users normally end up buying newbie-quality handreg .COMs.

Domain investors focus too much time on expiring domains and not enough looking for good aftermarket opportunities. The best domains are already registered and were registered years ago. So where is the most logical source for quality domain names? That does not mean start spamming Rick Schwartz with $50 offers. But there are undoubtedly investors looking for cash flow - a fair price for a decent domain.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back