IT.COM

When buying a domain, do you expect to always get a discount on the asking price?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Me and another NP member are having a ridiculous battle over $10 and neither of us will back down on principle. He refuses to sell for a discount on his asking price and I refuse to pay his asking price without getting a discount. His contention is that asking prices are non-negotiable and mine is that they are always negotiable.

What do you think?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I think I made mistake trying avoid you waste your time and telling your the lowest price I would acept.
You asked for the domain under $100, I offered you the domain for $60 to avoid long negotiations.
You told you never pay asking price, so the deal is not $10, you could pay more than $60 if I would tell you $100 from the beggining, you just like to negotiate and have the rule never buy for asking price.
(n)

•••
No harm in trying to negotiate as long as it doesn't turn into more of an insult...

Last edited:
•••
There is no insult.
I just didnt want to play negotiation game, thats all.

•••
I too sometimes ask for my rock bottom price and if buyer doesn't want to pay as much, it's fine and no time is wasted.

•••
•••
$10?

really.... this is about $10

imo....

•••
Yes it's silly but the '$10' thing goes both ways. In one breath he says it's 'only $10' and in the next he refuses to budge on his price.

Last edited:
•••
Seems like you need to argue this out between you! :rage:

•••
$10?

really, this is about $10

how much does a business account cost?

imo....

•••
"I too sometimes ask for my rock bottom price"

Do you note that it's your rock bottom price? Or do you just state it and then refuse any attempts to negotiate?

If the former, I could maybe see that. The latter is a very odd way to do it, when most people are probably going to expect that price to be negotiable.

•••
biggie I have always known you to be a helpful and insightful contributor. you are not demonstrating either of those qualities here. more like garden variety trolling.

•••
biggie I have always known you to be a helpful and insightful contributor. you are not demonstrating either of those qualities here. more like garden variety trolling.

it's about $10

so, it's open for trolling

what you expect, is often much different that end-result

and to expect that a seller is willing to negotiate his price lower, after they gave you their rock bottom price, is expecting too much

imo...

•••
I recieved your PM at 3.00 o clock I think.
I was busy, I had emergency laptop for repair and at 3.00 was at costumers home busy with his data recovery.
I just had no time for play negotiation game and told you $60
I dont see here any "ego" problem as you told.
I just made all negotiation process in my head and sent you final result.
I just cant negotiate now because I already told you the floor oprice.

•••
$60 it is. If the buyer doesn't want it at this price, close up and move on - don't waste any more time.

•••
"I just had no time for play negotiation game and told you $60"

If that is truly what happened, you should note that next time. If you had simply said that, this is probably done by now.

But the fact that you refused $59.99 makes me not believe you. A lot of domainers lose sales because they draw a line in the sand at an arbitrary price. Most just negotiate some before they get to that line.

Last edited:
•••
:xf.confused:
I acept 59.90 just for make you feel better

•••
Just wanted to toss this in, did a deal with Maya before and had no issues. Maya was friendly, honest and did whatever was needed to keep me happy without my asking for it. Hope you 2 get it sorted, good luck :)

•••
Just wanted to toss this in, did a deal with Maya before and had no issues. Maya was friendly, honest and did whatever was needed to keep me happy without my asking for it. Hope you 2 get it sorted, good luck :)

I would imagine this is true. Aside from this very weird and unproductive negotiation strategy, I have no complaints.

I suspect they will not do this again: offering up a non-negotiable price without saying it's non-negotiable.

•••
Do you note that it's your rock bottom price? Or do you just state it and then refuse any attempts to negotiate?

If the former, I could maybe see that. The latter is a very odd way to do it, when most people are probably going to expect that price to be negotiable.

I believe I mention it in advance but I may forget. What's the big deal :xf.smile:

•••
I expect to get a discount on everything I buy. I even negotiate a lower price on the meat counter in the supermarket. I usually get a reduction, but not always. When selling, I usually price things to allow for negotiation, and I'm often surprised when people pay the full price.

•••
I recieved your PM at 3.00 o clock I think.
I was busy, I had emergency laptop for repair and at 3.00 was at costumers home busy with his data recovery.
I just had no time for play negotiation game and told you $60
I dont see here any "ego" problem as you told.
I just made all negotiation process in my head and sent you final result.
I just cant negotiate now because I already told you the floor oprice.

The price seems reasonable for any domain. The fact the OP wants to buy it already makes the domain worth more. You can now say.... turned down $60, asking for $100

Is that legit... Yes it is... demand makes price

I'm not taking sides.... just saying

•••
In theory you are right. I have lots of domains with theoretical value that I pay $0.75/month each to renew. You want to pay me the theoretical value for any of them? How about I give you a 10% discount on theoretical value, how many would you like to buy?

This is 2017. We are in a dying industry. A buyer is a buyer, if you find one for your random domain, it's probably best to figure out the most they will pay and take it.

Last edited:
•••
I wouldn't care at all for a $10 USD discount
if the domain is worth $1K USD

otherwise I wouldn't want it anyway

•••
Why the heck should you lower your price any more than you already have. You already gave him a discount from $100 to $60.

I end up with a lot of fools that keep trying to squeeze more. Example.

Me: $10,000
buyer: Can you do $5000
buyer: Can you do $7500
buyer: Can you do $10,000 and you cover escrow fees?
Me: Yes I can cover escrow, but only if you complete the payment within 24 hours!

That's how negotiation works. If buyer doesn't like it. Take a hike. They can go to another parallel universe to buy a similar name :)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back