Dynadot

When buying a domain, do you expect to always get a discount on the asking price?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Me and another NP member are having a ridiculous battle over $10 and neither of us will back down on principle. He refuses to sell for a discount on his asking price and I refuse to pay his asking price without getting a discount. His contention is that asking prices are non-negotiable and mine is that they are always negotiable.

What do you think?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
And this is a buyers market.
Ok then, I'll give $10 for VegetableBeefSoup.com

rawing a line and sticking to it is ego.

The line itself may not be but if you actually stick to it over $0.01, that's ego.
Which goes 'both' ways! All your griping and whining over..a penny. just wow..

•••
What do you think?

.......You asked for the domain under $100, I offered you the domain for $60 to avoid long negotiations.(n)......
if that's the simple way to explain how it went down

That's quite a bit lower than $100. Rather generous to be certain I think. I would have turned you down as well, without a doubt. This isn't a negotiation going on you are doing, this is something else.
Starting a thread over the $10?
That's great as some useful information and experiences have come from it.

Last edited:
•••
"i give discounts to those i like. If the buyer is being an ass - there is zero discount for them."

Judging by the domains in your signature, the loser in that scenario is you. They are offering to take reg fee domains off of your hands for above reg fee and you 'punish' them by not selling them the domains.

This arrogance is one of the reasons our industry is almost dead. The general public knows this is the bullsh*t they will have to deal with if they want to buy a domain, so many don't even try.

and i do well, but thanks for asking...

your just being a whinny little girl who can't get a name for what you want

stop being so cheap!

FYI - less than 5% of my names are hand reg'd - do a little research before the bash a member on the forum.

Last edited:
•••
"Ok then, I'll give $10 for VegetableBeefSoup.com"

If you mean this like 'I will give you $10 for sex.com' then that's not what I meant. If you are actually interested in the domain, I would certainly accept numbers less than my $49 asking price -- and very much live up to what I'm saying as a seller.

I would never refuse a sale for $48 or $45, on ego. I'd be happy to have found a buyer.

Last edited:
•••
•••
Judging by the domains in your signature, the loser in that scenario is you. They are offering to take reg fee domains off of your hands for above reg fee and you 'punish' them by not selling them the domains.

Wilfra, the person you are talking about @urlurl happens to be a good friend of mine and he is very good at what he does and I will vouch for the fact that he makes a considerable amount of sales. I've never seen anyone that can pick up a bargain and flip it like he does.

That said.... I was discussing this as early as this morning

It is not cool to criticize another domainers portfolio.... especially if you are on a domaining forum.

There are a lot of things you could argue or say but that is just not a cool thing to do.

•••
"your just being a whinny little girl who can't get a name for what you want

stop being so cheap!"

You're being a typical arrogant seller who doesn't realize it's 2017.

•••
I would certainly accept numbers less than my $49 asking price -- and very much live up to what I'm saying as a seller.
So then, as my 'numbers' were/are less than your asking price, you're saying you accept my offer?!? Send me your PayPal info.

•••
Wilfra, the person you are talking about @urlurl happens to be a good friend of mine and he is very good at what he does and I will vouch for the fact that he makes a considerable amount of sales. I've never seen anyone that can pick up a bargain and flip it like he does.

None of that has anything to do with what I said.

It is not cool to criticize another domainers portfolio.... especially if you are on a domaining forum.

There are a lot of things you could argue or say but that is just not a cool thing to do.

So you haven't addressed my point and aren't even saying I'm wrong -- you just don't like talking about the subject?

Ok. I do not subscribe to this code of ethics you seem to subscribe to. My code of ethics is if somebody starts taking shots at me, I'm fair game to take shots at them. As you can see people are doing this to me about my domains -- only I'm not crying about it.

Last edited:
•••
So then, as my 'numbers' were/are less than your asking price, you're saying you accept my offer?!? Send me your PayPal info.

I said it's a buyers market. I do not say anybody should accept any offer for any domain.

The context here is me offering $50 for a domain with an asking price of $60.

•••

Well I am certainly not going to argue with you...

WHY?

Because you are a member since 2007 and you have not figured out how to use the Quote button yet. I have a feeling arguing with you would be pointless.

•••
i never took any shots at you i was only adding to the discussion, you are the one who seems to like to stir shit up.

•••
If you judge people based on how well they know the interface of an Alexa 29,000 forum, you have bigger problems than doing a poor job defending your friend.

•••
If you judge people based on how well they know the interface of an Alexa 29,000 forum, you have bigger problems than doing a poor job defending your friend.

At least I have friends and I know how to quote using Alexa 29,000 forum :ROFL:

•••

Excuse me?
Did I miss something?

This arrogance is one of the reasons our industry is almost dead. The general public knows this is the bullsh*t they will have to deal with if they want to buy a domain, so many don't even try.

Last edited:
•••
@wilfra -
most of the members on here are friends, or a least some try to be, doesn't look like you are trying very hard

Last edited:
•••
I do not say anybody should accept any offer for any domain

Wait, so no one has to accept your offer which is less than their asking price? But isn't this entire post about . . . ah never mind

•••
I'm going to apply the wise words of Paul Graham now:

"But while some amount of bullshit is inevitably forced on you, the bullshit that sneaks into your life by tricking you is no one's fault but your own. And yet the bullshit you choose may be harder to eliminate than the bullshit that's forced on you. Things that lure you into wasting your time on them have to be really good at tricking you. An example that will be familiar to a lot of people is arguing online. When someone contradicts you, they're in a sense attacking you. Sometimes pretty overtly. Your instinct when attacked is to defend yourself. But like a lot of instincts, this one wasn't designed for the world we now live in. Counterintuitive as it feels, it's better most of the time not to defend yourself. Otherwise these people are literally taking your life."

http://www.paulgraham.com/vb.html

•••
If no one is motivated to move ($1-$1000000) then there is hesitation. If there is hesitation, then the deal ain't right. If the deal ain't right, there is no deal.

IMO If I was either one of the parties I would just back away. It's best for all parties then.

Good luck.

Last edited:
•••

"But while some amount of bullsh*t is inevitably forced on you, the bullsh*t that sneaks into your life by tricking you is no one's fault but your own. And yet the bullsh*t you choose may be harder to eliminate than the bullsh*t that's forced on you. Things that lure you into wasting your time on them have to be really good at tricking you. An example that will be familiar to a lot of people is arguing online. When someone contradicts you, they're in a sense attacking you. Sometimes pretty overtly. Your instinct when attacked is to defend yourself. But like a lot of instincts, this one wasn't designed for the world we now live in. Counterintuitive as it feels, it's better most of the time not to defend yourself. Otherwise these people are literally taking your life."

well........you asked.

What do you think?

•••

"But while some amount of bullsh*t is inevitably forced on you, the bullsh*t that sneaks into your life by tricking you is no one's fault but your own. And yet the bullsh*t you choose may be harder to eliminate than the bullsh*t that's forced on you. Things that lure you into wasting your time on them have to be really good at tricking you. An example that will be familiar to a lot of people is arguing online. When someone contradicts you, they're in a sense attacking you. Sometimes pretty overtly. Your instinct when attacked is to defend yourself. But like a lot of instincts, this one wasn't designed for the world we now live in. Counterintuitive as it feels, it's better most of the time not to defend yourself. Otherwise these people are literally taking your life."

"Famous remarks are very seldom quoted correctly."
-- Simeon Strunsky

•••
it's about $10

so, it's open for trolling

what you expect, is often much different that end-result

and to expect that a seller is willing to negotiate his price lower, after they gave you their rock bottom price, is expecting too much

imo...
$2 is the rock bottom price?

•••
•••
I stopped by to say that I agree with all fellow domainers which stated that the sales price is defined by the seller. If buyer doesn't like it he should walk...That's how we do it in 2017! :xf.wink:

•••
I have to admit, the other day I gave a discount to someone. I was firm on my price at $3000 for about a week. But she wrote me a nice letter telling me that she owned the .org domain and was just starting her business and really wanted to invest time in creating a website with the proper domain name and felt a .com was better for her business. She might of gotten to my subconscious when her letter was so nice and sincere. So I sold it to her for $2000. I've had higher offers previously but there's something to be said about people being sincere and honest. (atleast I think she was honest ;). It makes everyone feels better at the end of the day. She got a discount. I was able to help someone out when they just started their business.

But if I dealt with someone like you. I would have said F..u and raised my price to 10,000. I don't mind hagglers, I just hate whiny hagglers. Or hagglers who think they can dictate my price.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back