Dynadot

What's the worst thing that's happened to you?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Dave_Z

Electrifying GuyTop Member
Impact
Hey everyone!

Hmmmm, I thought I'd create a new thread. Something we oughta share (and perhaps help the next person avoid what we went thru).

What's the worst thing that's happened to you so far regarding your domain name?

Let it all out, be it it was deleted, your registrar gave you hell, all the works!B-)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
If you promise not to tell anyone, the "worst" thing that ever happened to me was registering a (one) ".TV"! :o
The other, early "poor" registrations I can live with ... chaulk it up to experience, learning curve, etc. ... but this particular registration was silly. What a dork! :D
Pretty smooth sailing, otherwise ... I'm sure I'll think of a few more less obvious items that will hopefully prove helpful, as well.
Thanks for kicking off the cool thread, davezan.
B-)

PS. Errr ... paying $35/$29.95 at NSI/Register.com was bad, too ... in hindsight. By the time of some (few) of those renewals/registrations, less expensive Enom/GoDaddy's/etc. were already in existence, too. :'(

:notme:

•••
Well a few years ago when I was really really dumb I registered a domain through some registrar and I never really knew what I was doing so I paid for it and just let it sit there. Wasted like $50 I actually did that twice as I registered another one a few months ago and dont remember where it is at :( What an idiot!

•••
The most stupid thing I did was registering for domain names at NetSol and Register.com for $35.00 per year! When I think about it, it still pisses me off!!

•••
Originally posted by jj2ii3344
The most stupid thing I did was registering for domain names at NetSol and Register.com for $35.00 per year! When I think about it, it still pisses me off!!

Yup! :tri:

•••
I gave cracker.org away for free. The previous owner forgot to renew it and i grabbed it but i gave it back to her when she called. She did however offer to host one of my websites for life which has been pretty nice of her.

•••
I have quite a few regrets about names I forgot to renew, and more than one instance of names I delayed registering for a few hours or minutes and lost out on forever. :(

It all chalks up to learning experience though. Don't wait on anything!

•••
back in mid-late 97 when I was an AOL script kiddie my "handle" was crew. At the time my website was on angelfire, I wanted a domain but domains back then didn;t go for less than 35$(at least thats all I could find as a young 12 year old. I didn;t want to spend 35$ on the domain, now J Crew owns it and it's a sweet name :(

•••
my first ever name reg with go daddy.
all mess up. could not figuire what happen
no name, no hosting, just bills

still billing me monthly after SIX months.
that was and still is a BAAAD experience. and my first too

didnt know about NP then . would have helped.

still >:(

•••
I've wasted alot of money by buying names on my credit card and not paying the balance off. My $8.95 reg ends up being a $25 expense by the time I start plunking some money down on those damn cards. Oh well, if it wasn't domain names it would be something else.

It's all fun!
ST

•••
I also lost a very popular domain name I owned a few years ago by delaying to renew it lol. It is now forever lost. :(

•••
some drop names that has not been registered for a few weeks, when i decided to reg, they were all gone :(

•••

From what my friends tell me lately, NetSol is now the lesser evil between them and Register.com. Really.....

In my case, it's transferring a domain out of NetSol to Go Daddy. The 1st time this happened, I almost wished they'd all die.

Eventually I understood their ways & finally got out w/ almost no hassle. If not for patience, I don't know what next.

Great replies, guys! Keep 'em coming!

Need help on a domain name? Let's share the knowledge....:hearts:

Last edited:
•••
I can beat "registering a domain name through Netsol".

Not only did I register one, I renewed it with them!

•••
I have NEVER owned my own domain :( I regret it too. i doubt I will ever get one for more then a year!

•••
Originally posted by Coastalguy
I've wasted alot of money by buying names on my credit card and not paying the balance off. My $8.95 reg ends up being a $25 expense by the time I start plunking some money down on those damn cards. Oh well, if it wasn't domain names it would be something else.

It's all fun!
ST
SNAP! :(

lol

•••
Originally posted by phrone
I have NEVER owned my own domain :( I regret it too. i doubt I will ever get one for more then a year!

bah you need one :p

•••
When I got my first domain some years ago I just registered them with some people I helped to get a design up, for hosting my site and registering the name.

A few months later I realized the host was a piece of total junk, but it was impossible to get in contact with them by then. I really had put alot of work on promoting the name, and was getting a few hundre uniques a day.

As I knew nothing about the domain name system etc at the time I got my new webhost to help me, which they were unable to do as the domain contacs couldn't be contacted (of course they didn't add me as the owner, which i was too name-stupid to see at that time).

So I had to spend $50-100 dollars of over-sea calls on getting in contact with those responsible for my FREE name reg :)

•••
Originally posted by cerebus
When I got my first domain some years ago I just registered them with some people I helped to get a design up, for hosting my site and registering the name.

A few months later I realized the host was a piece of total junk, but it was impossible to get in contact with them by then. I really had put alot of work on promoting the name, and was getting a few hundre uniques a day.

As I knew nothing about the domain name system etc at the time I got my new webhost to help me, which they were unable to do as the domain contacs couldn't be contacted (of course they didn't add me as the owner, which i was too name-stupid to see at that time).

So I had to spend $50-100 dollars of over-sea calls on getting in contact with those responsible for my FREE name reg :)

Were you eventually able to get it back? Where's it with?

•••
Originally posted by Elefekt
Well a few years ago when I was really really dumb I registered a domain through some registrar and I never really knew what I was doing so I paid for it and just let it sit there. Wasted like $50 I actually did that twice as I registered another one a few months ago and dont remember where it is at :( What an idiot!

You said to me you only joined the net this year D-:

•••
Were you eventually able to get it back? Where's it with?
Yeah, I got it back, but that free name reg ended up costing at least $50. I can't remember where it was at that time, but now it's safe in my enom account.

•••
Great responses guys!
I just thought of a new regret I have! Not registering any domain names back in 1995!

•••
Great responses guys!
I just thought of a new regret I have! Not registering any domain names back in 1995!

Curses! D-:

•••
One move I regret was registering a name through namezero. It seemed like hell getting the name back, so I eventually lost interest. Lesson learned was:

Tanstaffl - there's no such thing as a free lunch!

•••
I just wish I could go back to the olden days, pre 1998 and what not and get all those good domains everyone wants today :(

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back