Dynadot

discuss The future of domains

NameSilo
Watch

valentinv

Established Member
Impact
Hello folks,

newcomer here. I stumbled into the space a week ago and love it so far. The community seems very friendly and the research itself very addictive (in a good way).

Anyway, I've been thinking a little about the future of this industry and wonder what the insiders think about this.

Will businesses still need domains in say 20-30 years? Or is it possible that they will become obsolete because every website will just become an app that you can instantly download and access by talking into your device or looking at it in your VR glasses.

Or to word it differently: How will we browse the web in a couple of decades?

I am sure many of you have thought about this and I would love to hear all your wildest speculations.

All the best,
Valentin

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It's hard to say until it presents itself. And when it happens, it will take 20 years after that for everything to migrate over.

A huge shift in the way we access products, information, news, entertainment, services etc. other than a url. Right now it's baby steps, domains on the blockchain for example. But these still use a url.

I would like to see domains stayed in the future as a fundamental base for any sort of information technology that we will need to access because to me they give a tangible investment opportunity in naming. But not only for investments, domains also make our content "real" on a name, something we created that uses written language that we have related to for eons, universal.

So, a location that anyone can produce and visit based on something other than a network of domains.. what would that look like?

To me this would be akin to a conglomerate virtual space that has the ability to provide its users with, well their own spaces. Use VR or Holo or Haptic or whatever, something like Google, Github or Twitter where a name space inside can be owned, but governed under their umbrella. They provide the engine. Maybe these spaces can be traded, bought and sold.. similar to metaverse lands. I don't know, how did that turn out? Ahead of its time, or a dud?

•••
It's hard to say until it presents itself. And when it happens, it will take 20 years after that for everything to migrate over.

A huge shift in the way we access products, information, news, entertainment, services etc. other than a url. Right now it's baby steps, domains on the blockchain for example. But these still use a url.

I would like to see domains stayed in the future as a fundamental base for any sort of information technology that we will need to access because to me they give a tangible investment opportunity in naming. But not only for investments, domains also make our content "real" on a name, something we created that uses written language that we have related to for eons, universal.

So, a location that anyone can produce and visit based on something other than a network of domains.. what would that look like?

To me this would be akin to a conglomerate virtual space that has the ability to provide its users with, well their own spaces. Use VR or Holo or Haptic or whatever, something like Google, Github or Twitter where a name space inside can be owned, but governed under their umbrella. They provide the engine. Maybe these spaces can be traded, bought and sold.. similar to metaverse lands. I don't know, how did that turn out? Ahead of its time, or a dud?
Thanks for your insight! You're right, there would basically has to be a company whose product is globally adopted and exclusively used by everyone. Not a far fetched idea, but probably not possible in just a few decades.

If it will be a decentralized space on a blockchain or something, I guess domaining would still be a thing, maybe bigger than ever.

Either way, now that I thought more about it, I assume that we will first transition through a phase were other gLTDs will get more adopted. Like .energy or .finance for respective companies in these sectors. It just makes sense. Dot coms are getting more scarce by the day and another thing is that they are seen as US centric. With BRICS on the rise, who knows what will happen.

•••
I've recently read a very interesting insight on Scott Belsky's (COO of Adobe) blog implications.com:

AI will threaten subjectivity in purchase decisions, and with it the sway of brand and marketing. As we gain trust in the guidance of agent-assisted experiences, will the impact of brand, referral, and relationships in purchase decisions be diminished? Whether we’re buying batteries, sneakers, potato chips, or kitchen appliances, we are often influenced more than we care to admit by brand perceptions as opposed to factual comparisons. However, as your “AI Agent” gets to know you better - infused by every personal preference and previous purchase as well as every online review and consumer reports determination - you may start trusting the guidance of your agent more than any other signal.

We can see what's happening with the web search - tools like Perplexity or Bing chat not just give you search results, but summarize them, which slowly disrupts Google. Next step is even more powerful: when making decisions which products to buy, we might skip the search AND the decision process altogether. Our personal AI assistant will do the product search, analyze the reviews, compare products and buy on behalf of us, what's best for us. Just like now we don't second-guess Waze routes to go from point A to B, someday we'll let our AI choose and do all the necessary purchases for us.

Which raises a question: what's the role of marketing and brands altogether? Marketing exists to influence our decisions, but if we don't make those decisions anymore...

Right now about 15% of most products' cost is spent on marketing, so if you skip marketing, your product can be 15% cheaper, which means - personal AI shopping assistants, comparing your product to other products, will rather choose your product. This might mean that marketing budgets for everyday products will shrink massively.

Marketing for luxury products and services will probably not be impacted much, because even in the post-scarcity economy, some things are still scarce and probably even more demanded, so... luxury is luxury.

Domains are brands. Which means that probably, if marketing budgets for non-luxury products and services shrink, so do the budgets for domains in general - as branding budget is part of marketing budget. What's the point of paying 1k or 10k or 100k USD for a domain to impress the customer or evoke trust, if the customer actually never even sees the domain? And the personal AI shoppers will find your store and your products anyway, even if you're using a 10 USD domain.

So from this perspective, I believe AI advance (long term) is bearish for domain name market.

But there's another use case evolving for domains - personal identity. Which is what all the web3 domains are about (but web2 domains will be imported into web3 and be part of it too, they aren't going anywhere). At the moment our online identities are scattered all over - there's email, Twitter handle, IG username, FB username, phone number, your username in NamePros forum etc., however - I strongly believe that in the future, our digital identity will be based on one unique portable "username" - which is a domain (it can be linas.eth or linas.com or whatever other TLD, anything that's integrated into the decentralized system that will be the basis of web3 identity - so far the winning protocol seems to be ENS).

This use case is massive. Your universal username (domain) will be the ultimate status symbol in the future, so I believe in the future that's where the domain name market is going to get the most value from. There's 350 million domains in the world now. When everyone starts using a domain as their universal username, that number is going to grow to 9 billion (or more, because people probably will have not just their official identity, but also anonymous or pseudonymous identities). So that's the bull case for domains.

•••
Yes. Businesses will still need a domain in the future. It’s no different than needing a postal address and a phone number.

•••
Yes. Businesses will still need a domain in the future. It’s no different than needing a postal address and a phone number.

The postal address (almost in 100% of cases) and a phone number (in 99% of cases) are great examples of what business don't really need anymore

•••
The postal address (almost in 100% of cases) and a phone number (in 99% of cases) are great examples of what business don't really need anymore
Please give a few examples of businesses that don't receive packages in the mail... :unsure:

•••
How many of these businesses have paid to have a premium mail address?

I know there is a market for that though - for example, to have your mail address as Wall street etc.... But that market is tiny and not even worth talking about. Same with premium phone numbers (bigger market, but still nothing compared to the domain market)

•••
Try getting a business license without an address and phone number.

•••
Anyway, I've been thinking a little about the future of this industry and wonder what the insiders think about this.

Will businesses still need domains in say 20-30 years? Or is it possible that they will become obsolete because every website will just become an app that you can instantly download and access by talking into your device or looking at it in your VR glasses.

Or to word it differently: How will we browse the web in a couple of decades?
The Internet is going to be around for the foreseeable future.

As far as apps replacing websites. How do you even imagine this? Apps are designed to better the user experience on phones. People on PC:s aren't even using app, and why would anyone download an app unless they're already using your service? Also, don't most QR-codes lead to websites? I mean I'd be freaking out if I scanned a QR-code and it started downloading an app, I mean it's a security risk in of itself.

•••
Or is it possible that they will become obsolete because every website will just become an app that you can instantly download
Pretty much the opposite: more and more pieces of software are becoming a SaaS, meaning that you need a web browser and a domain name to access these applications, written in JavaScript. Of course you can also download the mobile app version of the same Saas, but it is not required.

For example now you can even use Photoshop in your browser. And there are now very complex web-based SaaS apps like Canva (graphics), Figma (UI/UX), Clipchamp (video editor).

Jeff Atwood law:
Any application that can be written in JavaScript, will eventually be written in JavaScript.

And these JavaScript apps will need a domain name or else you can find and access them, because the web browser (Chrome, Safari, Firefox etc.) runs the JavaScript code.

•••
there would basically has to be a company whose product is globally adopted and exclusively used by everyone.
Hi

facebook comes to mind. before the resistance
then all the other "myspace" types carved their spaces
as they established places to congregate.

but they too have domain addresses and customer service phone numbers

who knows?
perhaps AI will connect the dots and run the matrix.

:)

imo...

•••
Will businesses still need domains in say 20-30 years?
The future is a mystery

Beavis And Butthead Comedy GIF by Paramount+

•••
Pretty much the opposite: more and more pieces of software are becoming a SaaS, meaning that you need a web browser and a domain name to access these applications, written in JavaScript. Of course you can also download the mobile app version of the same Saas, but it is not required.
Thank you for this explanation! You're totally right. My thinking was completely wrong there.

•••
•••
More importantly, will how we connect and visit be investable and will we have the foresight?

For now, we speculate and sell and build on that speculation but it's based on what we currently know. Sometimes I imagine the future of the will be either developed in a:

- controlled way so that the entity itself makes the biggest gains
- or, it may creep up on us much like dot-com did with the open opportunity but early adopters are the real winners

Or maybe this is it! We've reached the end of our internetting prowess..

•••
DOMAINS ARE DIGITAL PROPERTIES, PHYGITAL, ORIGINAL NFT!

BITCOIN ETF

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back