Dynadot

question What would you do in this case? Story on one issue that involves domain sale, transfer, two registrars, privacy, etc.

NameSilo
This is about a domain name I have registered at registrar A. Several months ago, I sold that domain at auction on the sale platform of registrar B. Not a big sale, but I have to honor it. Registrar B asked me to transfer the name to them so they can give it to the auction winner. I attempted transfer, but registrar B gives me an error message, stating the domain is not eligible for transfer. I was surprised, because this name is about 16 months old (so, no 60-day lock) and it has been in my account with registrar A since I hand-registered it. In addition, the name is unlocked. There is no reason why the domain should not be eligible for transfer.

I called registrar B to ask what the issue is. They stated they had no idea and that I should contact registrar A (where the domain is registered) to ask them. So, I contact registrar A. They state that everything is fine with the domain and that it is ready for transfer, that registrar B is the problem. I call registrar B again. The agent I speak to, again, has no idea why this is happening, so he puts me on hold a few times to consult with others and promises that he has escalated the issue; that I will be contacted. However, many days pass and no one contacts me.

I call registrar B again. This time, a more helpful agent seems to be very eager to resolve the matter. Puts me on hold a few times and then tells me that the issue is that the domain name is under privacy, that in order to transfer it, I need to remove privacy. But I assure the agent that my account with registrar A says privacy is OFF. However, I check Whois and it shows under privacy. So, I contact registrar A again and ask them to remove that Whois privacy, which I never asked for or ordered.

After contacting registrar A, they send me a message stating they were changing the DNS for the domain and that it might take a few hours. Days pass and the name is still under privacy. I contact registrar A again. They acknowledge the contact and say that they are working on the issue and then write to me again a day or two later saying there is nothing they can do, that even with privacy, registrar B should let me start the transfer.

I responded to registrar A's message asking them why am I under compulsion to have that domain under privacy. A few days have passed and they have not answered.

So, months have passed since I sold this domain and these two registrars have been playing ping pong with me. I am considering now what my options are.

What would you do in this situation? Thanks for reading and my appreciation for your response.
 
0 0
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.

karmaco

Top Contributor
Impact
11,411
I take it the registrar holding it is not one of the big boys? I say name and shame. Having a problem doing a simple transfer is a red flag.
 

AEProgram

Top Contributor
Impact
7,228
The only one that can help is registrar A, they have the name. This is an issue they should've resolved right away. Who are they?
 
Impact
5,744
It looks like that the registrar A has an issue, and registrar B did nothing wrong. If the registrar B was able to successfully submit the transfer request (which should be the case for unlocked domain with correct authocode) - but the transfer was rejected - then the registrar B should be able to find a formal reason somewhere inside their system (it is what registar A "told" the registry - ownership dispute, owner rejected etc.). Similarly, it the registrar B could not submit a transfer - they also see an error with a description (authcode incorrect, 60 days ownership change lock, etc). An error description should be helpful. Hard to say more without the name of registrar B and the domain itself (or, at least, where is it regged - registrar A).
 
Last edited:

Gabriel360

Established Member
Impact
553
What's with the A and B?

Drop the names so that people know what to expect when dealing with incompetent companies.
 
Last edited:
What's with the A and B?

Drop the names so that people know what to expect when dealing with incompetent companies.

I might do so at some point, but I haven’t just in case the matter is never resolved and I have to seek professional advice…
 

karmaco

Top Contributor
Impact
11,411
The more I think about it the problem has to be with the registrar holding the domain. The other registrar of course wants new names. They do like to blame each other though.
 

iTesla

Established Member
Impact
571
Try contacting ICANN, don't contact Verisign, they will not help, only in case you own a registrar Verisign will move their lazy boott.
I have other case with moving from SAV to GMO-z.com, one domain moved but was stuck in some limbo and does not display in my account, waiting for ICANN email, but I can tell ya there is something obscure about it, I have think maybe they want to steal my domain, it's good that it is renewed until 2025 else if it stays in such limbo I may loose it.
Also be aware ICANN support gives robotic replies, I had to go back and forth allot of replies until they understand my issue, I even have record a video and they still were asking stupid questions and could not understand my issue. Only in a 2 or 3 replies I felt human response. I told them that I will create a topic on NP about this if my issue does not get resolved.
P.s. stay away from GMO-z.com the worst registrar of all, if you want to reg .com/.xyz domains cheap, no problem, you can fast transfer them without issues later.
 

HotKey

Made in CanadaTop Contributor
Impact
10,474
Seems the privacy is the issue, one of the three things preventing a domain transfer from one registrar to another. Until registrar A is able to process your whois update removing the privacy, there isn't a thing registrar B can do.

Probably an internal bug on your registrar of sorts, where updating the registry from private to public whois didn't push through and now causing consternation.

Registrar A telling you that the transfer can proceed even with privacy on is incorrect. They should know better.
 

Future Sensors

78% of human domainers will be replaced by robotsTop Contributor
Impact
14,622
one of the three things preventing a domain transfer from one registrar to another
Hi @HotKey

Curious why you mention 'three things' as a possible reason for a nack.

In point 8 on the ICANN website, the list with possible reasons is slightly longer.
 
Last edited:

HotKey

Made in CanadaTop Contributor
Impact
10,474
Hi @HotKey

Curious why you mention 'three things' as a possible reason for a nack.

In point 8 on the ICANN website, the list with possible reasons is slightly longer.
Generally, privacy removed, unlock, and the 60 days hold removed. The other stuff isn't all that common as they are complications over and above straight do-gooder transfers.

Interesting they don't include the removal of privacy on that list.
 
UPDATE

Registrar A is SAV
Registrar B is Network Solutions

SAV has responded today basically stating that they can’t remove the Whois privacy because by default they are the registrant, and my information is not sent to the registry (SAV’s information is…) and they directed me to their Terms of Service:

“You explicitly authorize us to act as your ‘Designated Agent’”

So, either Network Solutions accepts it with privacy or the transfer won’t happen.

This may mean I am losing the sale, which doesn’t hurt much financially, because it’s a little bit of money, but the frustration transcends the financial aspect of the issue.

This may also put my seller account with NameJet (Network Solutions) at risk, since I don’t know if they will accept any other submissions from me.

Imagine if this was a solid sale, losing thousands…

Absolutely ridiculous.
 

karmaco

Top Contributor
Impact
11,411
UPDATE

Registrar A is SAV
Registrar B is Network Solutions

SAV has responded today basically stating that they can’t remove the Whois privacy because by default they are the registrant, and my information is not sent to the registry (SAV’s information is…) and they directed me to their Terms of Service:

“You explicitly authorize us to act as your ‘Designated Agent’”

So, either Network Solutions accepts it with privacy or the transfer won’t happen.

This may mean I am losing the sale, which doesn’t hurt much financially, because it’s a little bit of money, but the frustration transcends the financial aspect of the issue.

This may also put my seller account with NameJet (Network Solutions) at risk, since I don’t know if they will accept any other submissions from me.

Imagine if this was a solid sale, losing thousands…

Absolutely ridiculous.
Thanks for the update. NS is a damn inept dinosaur. Every other registrar allows transfer under privacy after GDPR got instated. Have you called them?
 

Future Sensors

78% of human domainers will be replaced by robotsTop Contributor
Impact
14,622
Slightly related, I think Earth's largest registrar has created a kind of (mild?) lock-in situation by proactively turning on a strict privacy service for many extensions recently. The moment you want to move out and unlock a domain, you will receive nasty warnings that your complete privacy will be turned off. I strongly feel that this deters many from actually going through with the transfer, especially for users who don't do this very often.
 
Last edited:

HotKey

Made in CanadaTop Contributor
Impact
10,474
That is ridiculous. I mean, changing from Designated Agent back to your own public ownership is up to you, not them. And done immediately, with the registry being updated as such.

Basically they are saying they can't change whois status?
 
Basically they are saying they can't change whois status?

My exact request to them on my last communication was: "Can you redact the Whois information for the domain so it can show my information, because it is now redacted for privacy, which I never opted to. Why am I under compulsion to have privacy on this domain?" Their response basically says there is nothing they can do, that what they do by adding their details is done to protect registrants, because that way registrants can't make changes to the Whois information at the registry level, which triggers 60-day locks. So, the last paragraph of their latest message to me can be summarized as we are doing this for your on own good. You figure...
 

Sutruk

Top Contributor
Impact
10,413
Have you done other transfers, lately, to Network Solutions? If yes, how did they work?

Have you done other transfers, lately, from Sav to another registrar? If yes, how did they work?

Maybe you can find the answer for yourself by answering those questions, to guess who is failing in your domain transfer.
 
Last edited:

Future Sensors

78% of human domainers will be replaced by robotsTop Contributor
Impact
14,622
Hello @Nick R

What's your evaluation after reading this thread? How should OP proceed to make the transfer work? Your input is appreciated.
 
Yes, I transferred three or four names to Network Solutions within the las few months. None of those were at SAV. They were registered at NameBright…
 

Sutruk

Top Contributor
Impact
10,413
Yes, I transferred three or four names to Network Solutions within the las few months. None of those were at SAV. They were registered at NameBright…
So there you have a hint, about who is failing in your domain transfer.
 
Last edited:

Sutruk

Top Contributor
Impact
10,413
I think Earth's largest registrar has created a kind of (mild?) lock-in situation by proactively turning on a strict privacy service for many extensions recently.
I don't know how it's working with other extensions, but with .com I don't think that turning on privacy locks the domain in any way.

In fact, turning privacy on/off has never locked any domain (in my experience).

Also, just to note, that lately (from the last few years) having the domain under privacy has never been an issue to make a domain transfer. At least in my experience.
 
Also, just to note, that lately (from the last few years) having the domain under privacy has never been an issue to make a domain transfer. At least in my experience.

That has also been my experience. In 13 years of domaining, this is the first time privacy is an issue for transfer.
 

Sutruk

Top Contributor
Impact
10,413
That has also been my experience. In 13 years of domaining, this is the first time privacy is an issue for transfer.
I don't think privacy is being the issue for your transfer.

You can try to request again the Auth Code at SAV, and try to start again the domain transfer to NetSol.

Sometimes the Auth Code changes and maybe you have uploaded an outdated Auth Code to start your domain transfer.
 
No. I have attempted transfer many times already and Network Solutions gives the same error. I don’t even get a chance to submit a code or anything else. And, as indicated, their agent confirmed that is the issue.
 

Sutruk

Top Contributor
Impact
10,413
No. I have attempted transfer many times already and Network Solutions gives the same error. I don’t even get a chance to submit a code or anything else. And, as indicated, their agent confirmed that is the issue.
What's the domain whois status? It's "ok"?