Domain Empire

showcase What was the worst domain you've ever bought

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

mrflapjack

Established Member
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Last edited:
•••
•••
•••
I regged quick-data.org in 01/02.

Can't believe why.

For a computer startup / school project. The amount of better alternatives were probably humongous.

I kind of like it for a reference site that quickly and easily scoured data on almost any topic, or some sort of online data visualization. Maybe you were ahead of your time? I note that pure-data in org has sold twice including last year. I see your name is available for hand reg now, so if someone does want it....

•••
In no specific order, my 3 worst:

petrology.rocks

8-CN-8.com

VirtualManhunt.com

•••
I don't even remember the exact name, but I hand reg'd one for an old business I had and it was like 6-7 words and 40+ characters. I have no idea what I was thinking.

•••
A couple unintentional misspellings

•••
•••
•••
•••
•••
I actually like this one! Although kind of general for any specific buyer. Maybe an organization to promote more hyphens online? :xf.grin:
My another double hyphenate domain... I found that most common L-L-L words are taken
upload_2018-10-18_23-14-31.png

•••
ebatr.com bought here on NP auction. I have no idea why I placed bid on this name... lol

•••
Handsome.today is still my worst one. I bought it in 2014 on my first day dealing with new gTLDs.

I am sure the domain name applied to you the day you bought it, and still does today! :xf.grin:

Seriously if that is your worse, you have much better sense than most of us, and congratulations @Fancy.domains!

•••
For me, it has to be (still own)

w i z a r d s - w o r k s h o p . c o m

In my first couple months of domaining I remember I regged BlogBarf.com. Do I win the prize for worst domain ever?
Yep. You got guts dude :) Basically any domain posted after this looks awesome..

•••
In 1999 (or so), I registered Jalopeno.com. I was not aware of the misspelling at that time. But I sold the same domain within a year (and yeah, the buyer was aware of the misspelling). So it’s no my worst one, but my only misspelled one. So far :D

•••
In 1999 (or so), I registered Jalopeno.com. I was not aware of the misspelling at that time. But I sold the same domain within a year (and yeah, the buyer was aware of the misspelling). So it’s no my worst one, but my only misspelled one. So far :D

Of course you are not alone in spelling it that way :xf.wink: - I see 193 k Google results with that spelling, although 49 million with correct spelling.

•••
Probably agricultural.company. I doubt I can ever sell it to someone and it's a premium domain so it cost quite a bit. :D For what it is
.company is worst extension is returned all them to grace period

•••
I have seen worse extensions :)
ex: .mobi , .xyz , .top

Although we should be sensitive to acceptance/popularuty of different extensions in different geographical regions. So far 2018YTD on NameBio about $2 million in .top sales, 458 in total, average sales price over $4400 .xyz much more limited sales lately but still 31 sales average just under $1400 for 2018YTD.

With over 2000 .xyz websites in Alexa 1M its use in actual websites (1 Alexa 1M per 890 registrations, within about factor of 2 of .com for reference). I would personally not count .top and .xyz as poor extensions.

Even .mobi had its very good year in the past! :xf.sick:

•••
I bought some .bid domains when they was for 0.66 at namecheap they were bad also high renewal prices
.bid is useless domain

•••
I have so many it is hard to choose!:xf.frown: Probably one of my 3 word in .science extension like:
ICanDo.science
I still kind of like them, but should have been focussed on who would buy/use them, or not! Thanks for great thread, @mrflapjack !
you're right I bought.science and other 48 cent domains they were just wasting money

•••
you're right I bought.science and other 48 cent domains they were just wasting money

Just to clarify, I do not at all believe all .science extension domains are useless. Especially now that FFM are under new management, and stabilizing without the deep discounts, I see a long term future for the extension. I still hold a number of .science extension domains, several registered for 5+ years. I think generic scientific words and short acronyms particularly will find value.

Why mine was so bad is that I was not properly considering uniqueness - always an important criteria in value of a domain name. I registered ICanDo but there is an endless supply of similar names WeCanDo, WhyNotDo, YouCanDo, LetsAllDo, WhyDo, etc. in .science. Why buy mine when you could hand register one of those?

I know that occasionally, usually in .com, three word domains do sell, but always consider uniqueness! (or your name may end up in this thread :xf.wink:)

Bob

•••
I kind of like it for a reference site that quickly and easily scoured data on almost any topic, or some sort of online data visualization. Maybe you were ahead of your time? I note that pure-data in org has sold twice including last year. I see your name is available for hand reg now, so if someone does want it....

Very true, available for handreg now. It was actually a business selling hardware and installment services, but lasted only a year.

The extension and hyphen no longer attract me tbh :xf.grin:

•••
•••
WeatherWhereever.com

...if only I read the dictionary at school

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back