IT.COM

showcase What was the worst domain you've ever bought

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

mrflapjack

Established Member
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
There are too many of them, can't decide...

LOL

Last edited:
•••
Probably agricultural.company. I doubt I can ever sell it to someone and it's a premium domain so it cost quite a bit. :D For what it is.

•••
•••
Probably agricultural.company. I doubt I can ever sell it to someone and it's a premium domain so it cost quite a bit. :D For what it is
.company is worst extension is returned all them to grace period

•••
Last edited:
•••
I bought several of the .art domains as domain hacks. they were just terrible.

•••
probably

bad.png

but I love it :)

•••
Last edited:
•••
I bought some .bid domains when they was for 0.66 at namecheap they were bad also high renewal prices

•••
I have so many it is hard to choose!:xf.frown: Probably one of my 3 word in .science extension like:
ICanDo.science
I still kind of like them, but should have been focussed on who would buy/use them, or not! Thanks for great thread, @mrflapjack !

•••
I have seen worse extensions :)
ex: .mobi , .xyz , .top

Although we should be sensitive to acceptance/popularuty of different extensions in different geographical regions. So far 2018YTD on NameBio about $2 million in .top sales, 458 in total, average sales price over $4400 .xyz much more limited sales lately but still 31 sales average just under $1400 for 2018YTD.

With over 2000 .xyz websites in Alexa 1M its use in actual websites (1 Alexa 1M per 890 registrations, within about factor of 2 of .com for reference). I would personally not count .top and .xyz as poor extensions.

Even .mobi had its very good year in the past! :xf.sick:

•••
•••
•••
Yolk.camera among many others.

•••
top100.cheap

It was wrong on so many levels....

•••
top100.cheap

It was wrong on so many levels....

Although there are many list of top 100 cheap colleges, restaurants, hotels, places to go, hobbies etc. I could see it working, maybe as a development site where you run many sites in parallel through subdomains. If that is your worst ever, congrats! Although the .cheap extension always feels, sort of, err cheap to me , so in that sense I agree!

•••
In my first couple months of domaining I remember I regged BlogBarf.com. I have no idea what I was thinking back then, crazy newbie delusion I guess. It is embarrassing for me to even write it here, but I will be brave. Do I win the prize for worst domain ever?

;)

I had a domaining partner back then, we shared everything 50/50; she regged GoogleMogul.com just because it sounded cool. We weren't that informed about TM dangers yet. Corollary: she sold it within a couple months for $850, it was actually our first sale. Looks like it dropped a few times but each time was snapped up again; is still regged and for sale! Crazy :)

Edit: I just checked, and BlogBarf has still been going strong all these years too! Still alive and regged. Ha ha ha ha haaa.

•••
I regged quick-data.org in 01/02.

Can't believe why.

For a computer startup / school project. The amount of better alternatives were probably humongous.

•••
I bought some .bid domains when they was for 0.66 at namecheap they were bad also high renewal prices
.bid is useless domain

•••
I have so many it is hard to choose!:xf.frown: Probably one of my 3 word in .science extension like:
ICanDo.science
I still kind of like them, but should have been focussed on who would buy/use them, or not! Thanks for great thread, @mrflapjack !
you're right I bought.science and other 48 cent domains they were just wasting money

•••
I have seen worse extensions :)
ex: .mobi , .xyz , .top
i agree with .mobi but xyz have a lot of sales and it's not bad for me

•••
•••
you're right I bought.science and other 48 cent domains they were just wasting money

Just to clarify, I do not at all believe all .science extension domains are useless. Especially now that FFM are under new management, and stabilizing without the deep discounts, I see a long term future for the extension. I still hold a number of .science extension domains, several registered for 5+ years. I think generic scientific words and short acronyms particularly will find value.

Why mine was so bad is that I was not properly considering uniqueness - always an important criteria in value of a domain name. I registered ICanDo but there is an endless supply of similar names WeCanDo, WhyNotDo, YouCanDo, LetsAllDo, WhyDo, etc. in .science. Why buy mine when you could hand register one of those?

I know that occasionally, usually in .com, three word domains do sell, but always consider uniqueness! (or your name may end up in this thread :xf.wink:)

Bob

•••
I regged quick-data.org in 01/02.

Can't believe why.

For a computer startup / school project. The amount of better alternatives were probably humongous.

I kind of like it for a reference site that quickly and easily scoured data on almost any topic, or some sort of online data visualization. Maybe you were ahead of your time? I note that pure-data in org has sold twice including last year. I see your name is available for hand reg now, so if someone does want it....

•••
Back