NameSilo

discuss What to do with new gTLD haters?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Premiums

find.venturesTop Member
Impact
Hi,

I asked about my portfolio on Elliot's blog Daily Poll: Do You Have a Domain Portfolio Website?
and got this

upload_2018-7-30_22-20-16.png

What to do with new gTLD haters? Why do they hate us (new gTLD investors)?
Those toxic people can ruin our new gTLD business.

Thank you.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
He was needlessly rude but his message was on point. The whole purpose of "domaining" and "premium domains" is to provide valuable names, since among many other advantages they:

(i) provide an image of reputation and prestige and (ii) are easier to remember

New gTLD are shifted away from these advantages, hereby rendering them useless. Value is scarce, that what makes it valuable in first place. Endless new gTLD can't help break this law.

Last edited:
•••
While it is difficult to disagree that two important characteristics are those listed by @sattanclaus i.e.. "(i) provide an image of reputation and prestige and (ii) are easier to remember" I disagree (strongly) that means that ngTLD are inherently of lower value or especially the statement that they are harder to remember.

Surely on some level vacation.rentals or home.loans is easier to remember than whether it was that plus what was the needless part added on? Was it com or co or net or org or one of those new io or my country code or something else?

I agree that com have a huge familiarity advantage, and also a respect advantage based on the fact that (most) big companies use one. Will that always be the case? I am not sure ultimately, for a while yes definitely (com still represents 46.5% of the world's websites).

But in the pure sense of design and aesthetics, adding a part that does not contribute anything does not make something more than a habit or fashion, kind of like bell bottoms or padded shoulders on suits.

When I look at the best of the ngTLD sold in the last 12 months, they really do speak of quality to me. Both the huge ones like the.club, vacation.rentals, and home.loans, but also others a bit further down the list like blockchain.ventures, BTC.exchange, industrial.group, crypto.club, maps.amsterdam, BroadwayTickets.nyc etc.

But I think the title of the thread was what to do about ngTLD haters, so I guess this discussion is somewhat off topic. I admit I don't understand them. Why, if they are so sure there is zero future in ngTLDs do they spend so much time trolling every thread they think might mention ngTLD and engaging in debate. Like really is that good use of anyone's time? It is not a real debate with open minds.

I personally try to be polite to everyone. I appreciate those who are polite, and not like the person that sparked this thread through the post on Elliot's site. Most on here are polite and I do appreciate that. I just am not sure why they invest so much time in something they don't have any interest in.

Anyway,I think it is a problem we will never solve, unfortunately. It reminds me of the decades I spent arguing in favour of MacOS with those who were convinced the only future was DOS/Windows and that Apple was about to go out of business. Back then that too seemed a hopeless debate without open minds.

I think in our community we will be stronger if we are all open to other viewpoints. Anyway, have a nice day, everyone!

•••
Humans don't have a. In the middle of sentences.

It doesn't. Make sense.

•••
With new gtlds you have to actually say it too!

Oh.dear/what-can-the-matter-be

"oh dot dear what can the matter be"

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back