Domain Empire

discuss What to do with new gTLD haters?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Premiums

find.venturesTop Member
Impact
Hi,

I asked about my portfolio on Elliot's blog Daily Poll: Do You Have a Domain Portfolio Website?
and got this

upload_2018-7-30_22-20-16.png

What to do with new gTLD haters? Why do they hate us (new gTLD investors)?
Those toxic people can ruin our new gTLD business.

Thank you.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
You know what else can ruin new gTLD? Lack of demand and shady actions from greedy registries.

I certainly don't hate people that invest in new extensions. It is their money and time to use as they wish, even if I think it will be a fruitless endeavor.

Brad

•••
In my early domaining years I had far more .Net and .TV domains than .Com. Do I hate people who register hundreds of .info, .me, .biz, .ws, .us and hyphenated domains? Of course not. But given how low portfolio turn is in this industry, one has to be very careful about registrations in alternative extensions. Some of the new extensions actually sound interesting. But I have lost enough money on alternative extensions to know that registering hundreds of new TLDs would be a disaster (very low liquidity and generally higher renewals) Feel free to ignore the advice of those who have already made the mistakes you are making now. Eventually you will be forced to make adjustments.

•••
Tensions are high but hate is a strong word. And by the way, every .COM investor should love and endorse new G domainers. The reasons should be obvious.

The reply was rude and pointless, I agree...

•••
Gtld has potential... but patience will be key because many of them have been bought for good prices

•••
I think he was harsh but doing you a favor. These names aren't good at all, it's not even because they are gTLDs but because they don't make sense. The .com equivalents would be worthless as well.
I mean, is this the best you could find ???
Haters gonna hate, but you don't care if you're doing better than them. Until then you might learn a thing or two from them.

•••
ultimately in this game we call domaining u just want to make some profit and have success. if you are doing that then you will not really care or need other peoples opinions or approval.. I think as long as we do get affected by other peoples views on what we do or how we do it, it means that we aren't where we want to be yet.. and have some stuff left to learn... and if thats the case, then why not just accept we aren't where we want to be.. and... learn...

of course it was said in harsh way.. but why concentrate on how it was said.. or calling them haters.. when you can just look at what was said... and consider possibility they were right about it.

•••
Well, one single response shouldn't be seen as the general domaining opinion. Though I have to agree dot FYI representing ' For Your Information' as an extension, seems to be seeking to be buried lower than the near six feet of the .info extension.

Seriously, one or two of the new extensions will probably do OK in the long run. Domainers wont be the deciders, no matter how hard they try to pump, time and acceptance does the measuring act. Having been in the domain game for nearly 20 years I really pleased to see .org doing itself justice - more so in usage than necessarily in sales. who in the early days (1990's) thought .net would be fighting against the likes of .io (Indian Ocean) for any representation on todays sales charts.

People will try to pump all the new stuff, then ultimately each new extension finds its acceptance level among the general public. dot TV is a perfect example of Yep, we can see where it works

Last edited:
•••
well it's a new business for domainers, like you and me, and what's the use of this for more business and more money. let's see we have generic tlds, country tlds and now the sponsored tlds : gov, int, mil. well now to answer the question, well we can't do much about it, they can continue to hate, and we can continue to like. as they say BAU - Business As Usual. Well for me IMHO the more the merrier.

Last edited:
•••
I think that, without exception, being impolite and rude is never called for and the person who wrote that comment is out of line. He/she indicated that they did not even type in the name of your site, and therefore was not even offering the comment based on any evidence.

I know it must feel frustrating to see a message like that @Premiums especially on a widely viewed site. You have every right to be angry but I urge you to try to take the energy of that anger, and make it into something positive.

Take care,

Bob

•••
like i told you, domaining is a business and it will mean more new business, more money.

How much does it cost to apply for a gTLD?
Yes, but it's also a very costly one. The basic cost of submitting an application is $185,000 per gTLD. If you submit a batch of them times that cost by the number of domains. $5,000 is required on requesting the application form, and the other $180,000 is wired to ICANN when you submit the form. Source
Source

•••
Hi,

I asked about my portfolio on Elliot's blog Daily Poll: Do You Have a Domain Portfolio Website?
and got this

Show attachment 94104
What to do with new gTLD haters? Why do they hate us (new gTLD investors)?
Those toxic people can ruin our new gTLD business.

Thank you.
Full disclosure, I do own a few new gTLDs, mostly left over from when I used them in education.

BUT, if you love them, then why wouldn't you be excited that others don't like them? More availability for you, less competition for you, more profit for you--all in theory. Unless you somehow expect people to evangelize about something they don't believe in just because you do.

When I'm in a situation where I'm very convinced on the best path forward, but others talk trash about it, I get even more motivated to do better to show them.

But, with the portfolio that I see on your site, I don't think you are doing yourself any favors. What is the business model for selling domains for $10 or $15 each, and maybe even the lot of 30 for $150 (minimum I know). How is that a feasible plan? The prices and domains that you have listed seem to make the point of your detractors.

I like to see success in new gTLDs because it means maybe some of what I have will sell. For me, only names that read left to right, across the dot in natural english are worthwhile. The rest just sound a bit off to me. Why would someone buy something that isn't a phrase that anyone ever speaks?

In the example that you gave, whoever wrote that sounds like a jerk. So what? Move on and do what you believe in.

Last edited:
•••
No words from me, this says everything.

Picture0012.png

•••
The rest just sound a bit off to me. Why would someone buy something that isn't a phrase that anyone ever speaks?

Thanks for a great argument for ngTLDs, @SuperDudePro
I NEVER end my sentences with the word 'com'!! :xf.grin:

(sorry, I could not resist saying this, which is actually plagiarized from someone I know; being serious, I do agree with you that most of the time the valuable names in new extensions must span the dot in a logical way. I know some short and acronyms will sell too, but I see most sales are two part expressions}

•••
in his words
... is that pathetic to use a gtld in its name is not worthy of my business or my effort"

same goes to him then he's not worthy of our business and effort as you can see gtld will mean a lot of money for the registrars, sellers, buyers like you and me, then just go to someone like me if i have the money that is, who will be interested in gtld.

same trick as before, the shorter the better.

•••
But, with the portfolio that I see on your site, I don't think you are doing yourself any favors. What is the business model for selling domains for $10 or $15 each, and maybe even the lot of 30 for $150 (minimum I know). How is that a feasible plan? The prices and domains that you have listed seem to make the point of your detractors.
$XX - min offer or "starting bid". not a "buy now" price

•••
•••
great name!(y) high renewal(n)
yeah the renewals is what im thinking as well.

Greatness Quotes. “Be not afraid of greatness. Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and others have greatness thrust upon them.”

•••
$XX - min offer or "starting bid". not a "buy now" price

That makes more sense, but I think that you should spell that out and include links to some kind of landing page, even if it is at the GoDaddy Auction page.

•••
Last edited:
•••
External links are bad for SEO

Who cares about the SEO on your own landing page? Wouldn't you rather make sales? How is Auction.FYI going to get great SEO anyway? For what terms? Auction? If so, you need a lot more content than a landing page to make a dent, imo.

•••
In my early domaining years I had far more .Net and .TV domains than .Com. Do I hate people who register hundreds of .info, .me, .biz, .ws, .us and hyphenated domains? Of course not. But given how low portfolio turn is in this industry, one has to be very careful about registrations in alternative extensions. Some of the new extensions actually sound interesting. But I have lost enough money on alternative extensions to know that registering hundreds of new TLDs would be a disaster (very low liquidity and generally higher renewals) Feel free to ignore the advice of those who have already made the mistakes you are making now. Eventually you will be forced to make adjustments.

I lost in .biz - I lost in .mobi - I lost in .tel - I lost in .ws

why the hack should I want to lose in .website??????

do I hate the investors????
no - why should I ????

•••
The end user has paid accessive prices to brokers for years without a clue look at cctlds sales and see for yourself they bought keywords. The end users were lead by brokers so the difference is they find their 3 word stock now to be aged.

•••
•••
External links are bad for SEO

thank you for the advice

Try this a splash page of any crap links or a link to your main site. A bit of relevant content helps. Now upload splash pages to every domain you don't use. Submit to free backlink sites i list them all. Then watch that non existent traffic filter into your main site. I get gigs doing this. See some results now make them blogs.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back