NameSilo

discuss What to do with new gTLD haters?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Premiums

find.venturesTop Member
Impact
Hi,

I asked about my portfolio on Elliot's blog Daily Poll: Do You Have a Domain Portfolio Website?
and got this

upload_2018-7-30_22-20-16.png

What to do with new gTLD haters? Why do they hate us (new gTLD investors)?
Those toxic people can ruin our new gTLD business.

Thank you.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
"What to do with new gTLD haters?"

Love them, encourage them and enjoy every word of hate they so generously give out for free.

These great guys help to reduce competition in ngtld space so much.

•••
We will see gltd extensions being the normal. Some hate change some embrace it. I lost plenty with new extensions but I also didn't always back my ideas gtlds have given new opportunity. The internet is still young the newer audience doesn't have the attachment with dot com like some do. two words dot com as a type in may not perform as well as two.words. Gtld has some benefits I did make a post about phone browsers that accidently send links with gtlds if you put two words without a space in a sms. I had bought a dot xxx extension at new dot net back in around year 2000 and bought the same dot xxx when register fly took it over after just losing it. The way they worked was with a netscape plug in. I wasn't offered the name when it became the real deal but we were toying with extensions back then. In years to come gtlds some will find it expensive to keep the extension open with only few users but at the same time all that costing will become a fraction of what it is today. The first gtlds will have choice but the most hardship.

Last edited:
•••
In practice it's best to listen to feedback from all angles; both for and against new gTLD investment. I personally don't see any margins for new gTLD investors but happy to be proven wrong. As far as I can tell all/most of the new extensions were designed specifically to ensure most of the profits go to the registries and not domainers.

•••
As far as I can tell all/most of the new extensions were designed specifically to ensure most of the profits go to the registries and not domainers.

So true. New extension. Reserve the obvious money makers. Auction some domains to test the waters and to generate some cash flow. Move to general availability, and let domainers spend their time finding the ones you missed initially. Reserve them when they drop, or simply take them back. Good plan IMO.

•••
In practice it's best to listen to feedback from all angles; both for and against new gTLD investment. I personally don't see any margins for new gTLD investors but happy to be proven wrong. As far as I can tell all/most of the new extensions were designed specifically to ensure most of the profits go to the registries and not domainers.

Agree entirely with your point re listening to feedback from all angles, @James Rayers ! In domain investing, and indeed many aspects of life, being open and receptive of feedback pays dividends!

In response to the point re is it registries making all the money, I did a little analysis this morning of the past month (to July 30, 2018) of ngTLD sales. Here is what I found:
  • 29% of sales in the month registry (29 out of 99 NameBio reported sales)
  • 54% of dollar value of total sales registry in the period ($171,200 of $320,300)
  • Most the the largest sales are by registries, including the two largest and 6 of top 10.
  • The other sales were spread over many venues; Sedo had 13 of the 99 for example.
  • The 50% figure is reflective of other monthly periods I have analyzed. About half of ngTLD reported revenue ends up with ngTLD investors.
You can see full report at Are Most New Extension Sales Registry?

•••
Hi,

I asked about my portfolio on Elliot's blog Daily Poll: Do You Have a Domain Portfolio Website?
and got this

Show attachment 94104
What to do with new gTLD haters? Why do they hate us (new gTLD investors)?
Those toxic people can ruin our new gTLD business.

Thank you.
What a total a**hole. They seem to be common in the IT field, sitting in his mama's basement probably hasn't seen the sun (or a girl other than his mama) in ages. I'm sure he could spout out about Ruby or Perl or some programming language for days. He sure has a lot of s to say. F him, you'll look down on him from the top.

Domaineer1
(y)

•••
"What to do with new gTLD haters?"

Love them, encourage them and enjoy every word of hate they so generously give out for free.

These great guys help to reduce competition in ngtld space so much.
It is not so easy to LOVE them, and ENJOY them in real life as some of them are pretty annoying beyings, lol - but from logical and practical point of view, you are absolutely right :)

•••
What's the losers name so I can remember not to do business with him. Elijah?

•••
It is not so easy to LOVE them, and ENJOY them in real life as some of them are pretty annoying beyings, lol - but from logical and practical point of view, you are absolutely right :)

Indeed, it is not easy at the beginning, but with time, when you get more and more quality names & sales that in part are due to effect of ngtld naysayers, you gonna love them all :)

•••
Indeed, it is not easy at the beginning, but with time, when you get more and more quality names & sales that in part are due to effect of ngtld naysayers, you gonna love them all :)
That is true :)

•••
Last edited:
•••
Laugh it off mate and move on. There are so many threads on here full of ngtld haters, but it's good for publicity. The more they're discussed and talked about the better.

Some will never be worth much but the good shot one worders have good potential - if the renewal fee is low.

•••
Well I mean Auction.fyi is not really a great name for a business specially a domain broker business. I would not do business with a company with that name. That's not because its a ngtld, but it looks so unprofessional and doesn't make sense. Please find a new name! :bag:

EDIT: I love ngtlds specially one words that make sense.

•••
Well I mean Auction.fyi is not really a great name for a business specially a domain broker business. I would not do business with a company with that name. That's not because its a ngtld, but it looks so unprofessional and doesn't make sense.
Auction.FYI - great name for an auction niche.
FYI: this name has been sold.

Do you think that your Geeks.biz has value? lol your name is absolutely awful.

•••
Auction.FYI - great name for an auction niche.
FYI: this name has been sold.

Do you think that your Geeks.biz has value? lol your name is absolutely awful.

Please who did you sell it to yourself?

Yes please... tell me how “auction for your information” makes any sense?

•••
Agree entirely with your point re listening to feedback from all angles, @James Rayers ! In domain investing, and indeed many aspects of life, being open and receptive of feedback pays dividends!

In response to the point re is it registries making all the money, I did a little analysis this morning of the past month (to July 30, 2018) of ngTLD sales. Here is what I found:
  • 29% of sales in the month registry (29 out of 99 NameBio reported sales)
  • 54% of dollar value of total sales registry in the period ($171,200 of $320,300)
  • Most the the largest sales are by registries, including the two largest and 6 of top 10.
  • The other sales were spread over many venues; Sedo had 13 of the 99 for example.
  • The 50% figure is reflective of other monthly periods I have analyzed. About half of ngTLD reported revenue ends up with ngTLD investors.
You can see full report at Are Most New Extension Sales Registry?
@MetBob
If we put the Flippa (1), Dynadot (4), Private (1), Afternic (2), Sedo (13), Uniregistry (1) and Domaincracy (1) sales in the non-registry (aka aftermarket) column, that’s (23). DotGlobal (4) looks like a slam dunk in the registry column. That leaves Alibaba Cloud (37), West.cn (5), Jiangsu Bangning (27), eName.net (1), URL Solutions (1) and BizCN.com (1), subtotal (72), to fill (25) registry and (47) non-registry holes. Please briefly describe the method to label those (72) as either registry or non-registry sales, thanks.

Last edited:
•••
•••
I have dozens of domains in extensions other than .Com. Just like we see with expiring and Namejet auctions in .Com, there could be drop opportunities with new TLDs. I just do not see any convincing evidence that the risk / reward is there.

Many of the more popular new extensions like .Top and .xyz I view as just plain awful from a branding standpoint regardless of the keyword.

Many of the reported high-dollar sales are questionable as the buyer seems to do nothing meaningful with them. Then we look at July sales of 99 domains. The vast majority were .Top most of which were very short domains (which few investors actually hold) and seem to be merely registrations by investors (names do not even resolve). The fact that most of these sales are newbie investors who are buying from the registry - what does that indicate about end user demand for them?

Of the many millions of aftermarket new TLD domains there were only about 25 sales in July of non-registry non-.Top domains with a midpoint price around $600. What is one percent of 12+ million aftermarket domains (excluding .top)? Even if your renewals are $10 (which I seriously doubt), you need minimum 10 thousand New TLD sales a month just to break even. Is that the goal? 25 vs ten thousand - where's the beef?

I may not know where to find the lowest cost registrars for the hundreds of extensions available. But I do not care to have to deal with dozens of registrars. About 95% of my domains are at Godaddy and most of the rest at Name.com. So if I cannot use those two registrars or maybe Uniregistry to get an acceptable renewal price, then my interest diminishes very quickly.

But if you believe there an opportunity in an area and others avoid it because it appears too risky, you have less competition. But if you are the only one buying a certain type of domain, perhaps there is a reason why no one else is competing with you.

•••
@MetBob
If we put the Flippa (1), Dynadot (4), Private (1), Afternic (2), Sedo (13), Uniregistry (1) and Domaincracy (1) sales in the non-registry (aka aftermarket) column, that’s (23). DotGlobal (4) looks like a slam dunk in the registry column. That leaves Alibaba Cloud (37), West.cn (5), Jiangsu Bangning (27), eName.net (1), URL Solutions (1) and BizCN.com (1), subtotal (72), to fill (25) registry and (47) non-registry holes. Please briefly describe the method to label those (72) as either registry or non-registry sales, thanks.

I agree with your designations of the first group and that DotGlobal is registry.
I think that Jiangsu Bangning is also clearly registry (for TOP).

As I understand Alibaba Cloud it is (somewhat) akin to GoDaddy and is to me clearly non-registry.
I did a translation of West that I did not know well, and also help from a Chinese native speaker. They do hosting, register and also aftermarket sell many different extensions including .com and .cn as well as new, so are clearly non-registry in my mind.
It seems to me that eName and URLSolutions and BizCN are also non-registry although did not explore much.

•••
Oops I got tied up an it won''t let me edit the post I started and posted by accident.

Anyway, to briefly complete my intended answer I counted as registry where premium names that had been held by the registry (the extension owner) were then being sold, e.g. Radix, FamousFour, DotGlobal, Google for App, Jiangsu Bangning for top, CLUB, etc. etc. would all count as registry. The ntLD site conveniently provides registry (as well as backend) for all new extensions. According to Michael most of the registries no longer report to NameBio, so many of those registry sales are not in. If they were, total ngTLD dollar figures would be higher, but so would percentage registry of course, so would not make the overall situation any more lucrative for ngTLDs.

In my analysis all Jiangsu Bangning and Global sales were counted as registry. All the others as non-registry. Admittedly at least one registry is selling through one marketplace alongside individual domainers, but that is not one that reports to NameBio, so it does not enter statistics. If it did, it would be hard to separate them out.

Just to repeat again, although I answered your query out of politeness, I feel I have invested as much time as I want to in debate with ngTLD critics on this (and the other) thread. I stand by everything I have said and analysed. I am totally happy for others to analyze and post here, I just have other things I have decided to spend my time on now rather than what seemed like a never ending and ever shifting set of arguments against ngTLDs.

More analysis, more evidence, more views are always a good thing. I accept that different nuances can lead to different results, sometimes. I wish everyone well, and thank you for reading my long posts. Bob out (again)

Last edited:
•••
Bob,
Thank you for the reply. Your math now stands at 31% (31/99) registry sales and 69% (68/99) non-registry but I still respectfully disagree with your labeling method and conclusions. The evidence does not clearly show me that the (37) Alibaba Cloud sales were secondary market. Alibaba Cloud may remind you of Godaddy but both of them offer unregistered ‘premium’ ngTLDs for sale. I can go to Alibaba Cloud right now and pay $446 for unregistered lost.top. Will that show up in Namebio and be counted as evidence of secondary market strength? Who knows. I’m not suggesting wrongdoing by anyone, just stating the obvious that the market does not serve refined data on a silver platter. Analysis/debate is great but nothing speaks truth more than one’s own portfolio.

•••
Bob,
Thank you for the reply. Your math now stands at 31% (31/99) registry sales and 69% (68/99) non-registry but I still respectfully disagree with your labeling method and conclusions. The evidence does not clearly show me that the (37) Alibaba Cloud sales were secondary market. Alibaba Cloud may remind you of Godaddy but both of them offer unregistered ‘premium’ ngTLDs for sale. I can go to Alibaba Cloud right now and pay $446 for unregistered lost.top. Will that show up in Namebio and be counted as evidence of secondary market strength? Who knows. I’m not suggesting wrongdoing by anyone, just stating the obvious that the market does not serve refined data on a silver platter. Analysis/debate is great but nothing speaks truth more than one’s own portfolio.

You raise a good point @ecalc. I had not realized Alibaba had agreement with registry from the overview of the site. As you say data is not provided in an unambiguous manner on a silver platter, and I agree based on the unsold one you found, at least the occasional sale, perhaps more than that, on Alibaba should be classified as registry. Thank you for the insights. On my blog I have added a sentence pointing out this possibility and changed 29% tok 31% (admittedly I did not recheck, but presume you had checked it carefully). Thanks again, and have a good day. I hope that we can both agree that a significant number and dollar volume of sales go to both registry and non-registry in ngTLD, and that the precise figure, even in NameBio, is challenging to get.

•••
You’re back? I thought you exited stage left. Namebio reports $6m in the last 12 months, apply an iceberg multiplier, subtract your 54% registry slice or mine >75%, subtract expenses, costs and taxes and count what’s left. Is that significant money? That’s your call, everything is relative. To those making hay more power to you.

•••
External links are bad for SEO
Do you even have a clue about SEO? Or you just have read some random SEO Guru blog from 2006...

•••
Fastest way to shut up the critics is to post some outstanding sales.
i posted several times. Namepros mod del my "sold" posts

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back