NameSilo

discuss What Technology Will Replace Domain Names ?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

jaleel khader

Established Member
Impact
Hello Guys

What Technology Will Replace Domain Names ?
I Googled This Question But I Can't See Any Potential Technology Will Replace It In Near Future Maybe We Can Say That's Impossible Before 20-30 Years From Now .

Hope To hear Your Thoughts

My Regards

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
it sounds like "What Technology Will Replace Your Name ?"

•••
As long as there is a platform to sell with buyers there will be domains. With a click money can be created by someone mixing numbers or letters together and still requiring nenewals.

Last edited:
•••
•••
•••
When humans will be able to distiguish patterns, brands, and company names in numbers and ip addresses.

•••
When humans will be able to distiguish patterns, brands, and company names in numbers and ip addresses.

Eventually we might decide to live as an Artificial Lifeform ourselves or we might just transfer our memory and consciousness (soul) into the Cloud and live as a Virtual Entity.

The truth of the matter is that the possibilities are going to be endless in how far things can change and evolve once the effects of Artificial Intelligence, Quantum Computers, and Genetic Engineering become more prominent in our lives.

We are at the beginning of a new frontier, many amazing things are going to be possible in the near future. Keeping domain names as they are would probably be just for the sake of keeping us Humans happy and to give us a point of reference to our past so that we won't freak out too much by losing our bodies. :xf.wink::angelic::xf.smile:

IMO

Last edited:
•••
The thing is actual change takes time, and rarely sticks unless there is a compelling reason to change. Plenty of "change" is rejected because it makes things more confusing or less efficient.

It won't happen without mass adoption and critical mass.

Companies have spent countless billions on domain purchases, registration, renewals, management, etc. Companies across the globe spend trillions a year on advertising and marketing with their domains on it.

Domains are not going away anytime soon. First it was apps, then it was social media. Nothing has really replaced them yet and I don't see much in the immediate future. On a long enough time frame when we are all androids is pretty irrelevant. :)

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Eventually we might decide to live as an Artificial Lifeform ourselves or we might just transfer our memory and consciousness (soul) into the Cloud and live as a Virtual Entity.

The truth of the matter is that the possibilities are going to be endless in how far things can change and evolve once the effects of Artificial Intelligence, Quantum Computers, and Genetic Engineering become more prominent in our lives.

We are at the beginning of a new frontier, many amazing things are going to be possible in the near future. Keeping domain names as they are would probably be just for the sake of keeping us Humans happy and to give us a point of reference to our past so that we won't freak out too much by losing our bodies. :xf.wink::angelic::xf.smile:

IMO

You think the same way as me, seems sensible

•••
The thing is actual change takes time, and rarely sticks unless there is a compelling reason to change. Plenty of "change" is rejected because it makes things more confusing or less efficient.

It won't happen without mass adoption and critical mass.

Companies have spent countless billions on domain purchases, registration, renewals, management, etc. Companies across the globe spend trillions a year on advertising and marketing with their domains on it.

Domains are not going away anytime soon. First it was apps, then it was social media. Nothing has really replaced them yet and I don't see much in the immediate future.

I agree that in the real business World right now things pretty much revolve around brand identity which in most cases are represented through domain names.

On a long enough time frame when we are all androids is pretty irrelevant. :)
Brad

I'll remind you of what you said here when we are all in the Cloud. :xf.wink::angelic::xf.smile:

it won't hurt to be prepared for the future in case some of these fantasies become reality.

•••
I'll remind you of what you said here when we are all in the Cloud. :xf.wink::angelic::xf.smile:

it won't hurt to be prepared for the future in case some of these fantasies become reality.

How do you prepare for that? LOL

I honestly think at some point you might see some type of technology backlash if it gets to the point of making people's lives worse. Not all technology is good.

You have already seen this with products like Google Glass.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
How do you prepare for that? LOL

By imagining and considering all the different possibilities.

I honestly think at some point you might see some type of technology backlash if it gets to the point of making people's lives worse. Not all technology is good.
Brad

True, that's why that we have to keep a close eye on all new technologies to make sure that they won't be used for the wrong purposes.

We have to make sure that we end up being a Force For Good and use all our technological abilities and knowhow for the good of Humanity and our Home Planet (and beyond).

IMO

•••
•••
•••
•••
Ironically, domain technology, as in botnets, malware, phishing, ransomware, adware-spam, etc., is the main reason some want to replace domain names.

But as replacing them would be an expensive overkill, as ~30% of the names are cool, bigger & better filters are being deployed. All new regs may be filtered-out soon.

•••
Really great information. Thank you so much.

•••
If, then future technology :xf.cool:

•••
Well that's a new one. Where does that come into play with ARPANET, whom Bernard's based the commonality we use today of accessing data on? Genuinely curious.

- 1958 ARPA & NASA
- 1960s DARPA
- 1970s DARPA funded network of networks. As part of the "ARPANET" development work contracted to the UCLA > SRI International, under contract to <> DARPA and the Defense Communication Agency (DCA, also DISA) for "performing" the functions of the NIC.
- Until the early 1980s, the Internet was managed by DARPA
- In 1987, IBM, MCI and Merit developed the US National Science Foundation Network NSFNET, the NASA and the US Dep. of Energy contributed "backbone facilities".
- 1990, ARPANET was carried out

NASA + DARPA / ARPA history

Don't have time to go into details, let's say - starting point.

Regards

Last edited:
•••
hopefully we will see it coming

after reading this entire thread

seem like nothing on radar yet

( BTC/blockchain discounted )

•••
- 1958 ARPA & NASA
- 1960s DARPA
- 1970s DARPA funded network of networks. As part of the "ARPANET" development work contracted to the UCLA > SRI International, under contract to <> DARPA and the Defense Communication Agency (DCA, also DISA) for "performing" the functions of the NIC.
- Until the early 1980s, the Internet was managed by DARPA
- In 1987, IBM, MCI and Merit developed the US National Science Foundation Network NSFNET, the NASA and the US Dep. of Energy contributed "backbone facilities".
- 1990, ARPANET was carried out

NASA + DARPA / ARPA history

Don't have time to go into details, let's say - starting point.

Regards

Don't forget about the

"Intergalactic Computer Network"

:xf.wink::angelic::xf.smile:

Some people say that this is what got the whole idea of the Internet started

Last edited:
•••
The cost of mining is shared by everybody. Full stop. The environmental consequences are horrific.
It is all about Rich v/s Population at large. everyone knows how rich becoming more rich by every minute, and population at large is at the last point of poverty.
Because the super rich group will not stop they tasted the blood money and they want trillions and trillions of dollars per second income on the cost of destroying nature and mother earth.
So Population at large need to decide they want to save environment or just for the sake of lazy life they want everything to goes beyond the repair and beyond the mankind.

•••
In addition to https://www.circleid.com/posts/20191105_dns_wars/ by Geoff Huston of APNIC, the March 2021 issue of Internet Protocol Journal has an article about DNS Trends, written by the same author. As part of this article, you will find a few paragraphs on the 'future of names' as well (see page 14).

https://ipj.dreamhosters.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/241-ipj.pdf

Pages 2 - 17

The Internet Protocol Journal is published quarterly and supported by the Internet Society and other organizations and individuals around the world dedicated to the design, growth, evolution, and operation of the global Internet and private networks built on the Internet Protocol.

Last edited:
•••
Suggest me a best Domain name

•••
•••
Don't forget about the
"Intergalactic Computer Network"
Some people say that this is what got the whole idea of the Internet started

The rarely mentioned, and most important, early internet network was CIX -- because all the others: ARPANET, DARPA, MILNET, CSNET, NSFNET, etc., was not for everyday people, or businesses.

The Commercial Internet Exchange (CIX), which began with 3 ISP's and one router, changed all that.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back