Dynadot

discuss What Technology Will Replace Domain Names ?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

jaleel khader

Established Member
Impact
Hello Guys

What Technology Will Replace Domain Names ?
I Googled This Question But I Can't See Any Potential Technology Will Replace It In Near Future Maybe We Can Say That's Impossible Before 20-30 Years From Now .

Hope To hear Your Thoughts

My Regards

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
@LoxThe whole point of blockchain technology is that it is "distributed" - nobody owns it. A few people hold what are effectively keys to the gate to get into it and you pay them for unlocking that gate for you. That's buying your .crypto domain name.

Once through the gate, at least on the Etherium version, if you are not silly enough to lose your credentials or have them stolen and unless you sell your little bit of it, it is yours forever. The entry gateways have no further influence no matter who buys them out or makes a better, more irresistible, entry offer.

If nobody "owns" it why are the gatekeepers holding "premium" terms back and asking premium prices for them?

It seems like a normal new extension to me, the only difference is being on an alternative root that will be crushed when ICANN delegates the real thing on the normal root zone.

This is the same thing, wrapped in a shiny new package. History repeats itself.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New.net

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Last edited:
•••
Typing in the host's IP will surely replace domain names.

•••
Hmmm. Seems a bit like saying the central banks will soon blow bitcoin out of the water. They haven't and I don't believe they know how to. That is not to say bitcoin is here for good. But it may be. Nobody knows yet and that is the same with using blockchain technology for other purposes, including names and DNS.

So it is up to every individual to make a choice, or to ignore the phenomenon altogether until there is solid reason to take notice, if that ever comes to pass. For every "new" dotnet in recent years there has been a new and surprising success story. It seems to me surprises have the annoying quality of being unpredictable.

I've chosen to dip a very tentative toe in the water to see what it's all about and not to be left in the wake of the early adopters if it does prove itself in the most judgemental forum of all, time. My crystal ball is no better or worse than yours but the signs to date at least look promising to me.

•••
Hmmm. Seems a bit like saying the central banks will soon blow bitcoin out of the water. They haven't and I don't believe they know how to. That is not to say bitcoin is here for good. But it may be. Nobody knows yet and that is the same with using blockchain technology for other purposes, including names and DNS.

So it is up to every individual to make a choice, or to ignore the phenomenon altogether until there is solid reason to take notice, if that ever comes to pass. For every "new" dotnet in recent years there has been a new and surprising success story. It seems to me surprises have the annoying quality of being unpredictable.

I've chosen to dip a very tentative toe in the water to see what it's all about and not to be left in the wake of the early adopters if it does prove itself in the most judgemental forum of all, time. My crystal ball is no better or worse than yours but the signs to date at least look promising to me.

You can invest in what you want to invest in, but history is a nice counter balance to the hype.

The blockchain part is new. The extensions on alternate DNS is not.

The company behind this is acting no different than any other greedy registry, they are just wrapping it in some marketing message.

Brad

•••
@bmugford Absolutely true, of course. Just like the current situation where the big players toy with the likes of ICANN whilst ignoring the interests of smaller players and clients alike. I wasn't awarding points for fairness or integrity.

When there are no other fields to play on, I can either walk away or play the game on the pitch that's available. That's true of domaining now. This is another field and I'd like to see how it goes, playing on it without risking an awful lot, before passing judgement one way or another.

The one fundamental difference I see is that the board level personnel in these ventures do appear to be genuine enthusiasts and technically savvy people. That is a contrast to the general board members of the bigger players in the wider IT field now, whether that be domains, DNS, hosting, security, IoT or any other branch of it. Some good may come of that. Or the corporates will buy their way in and it will end up same as same as. Who knows?

•••
Hmmm. Seems a bit like saying the central banks will soon blow bitcoin out of the water. They haven't and I don't believe they know how to.

Those who own the most powerful Quantum Computers will define the future,

Blockchain is like child's play to a Super Intelligent AI.

IMO

Last edited:
•••
1999 SETI@home (distributed computing over the Internet for research purposes) Benefits & Rewards. [SETI today]

2009 Bitcoin software / coins (mining over the Internet for "research purposes", signature generation algorithm /dsa) Benefits & Rewards. [The cost of mining is shared by everybody "interested" in bitcoin / coin]. Processing transactions cost you % < here we go.

Regards

•••
As many have mention, it is the platforms like FB which are replacing domain names, that is why most traffic goes to Zuck and he becomes more rich day by day.
Stop using such social media websites and you will see that interest in domains will begin to grow.
Answer to your question of new tech that replaces DN's is: Facebook Technologies.
I have begin to damage reputation of FB by revealing Zuckerberg secrets, and will continue doing this until FB will sink like Titanic.
Between the same thing will happen to Google, Youtube and other monsters i guarantee you.

•••
I can not understand why some people reject the idea that someday a new technology will replace the existing one, while witnessing that happen many times.
It's called self-preservation.. and being so deeply invested in a particular area that any threat to that would cause catastrophic financial loss. It doesn't have to be that way however, migration to blockchain domains will be slow enough it should allow for current assets to be relieved.

It's very possible for some current systems to work alongside blockchain, eg Handshake is a root replacement but not a DNS replacement. So everyone can still play nice.
Or will end up going back to landline newspapers and shops to be more environmentally conscious. All the tech is not sustainable neither is all the packaging from web domain consumerism. We got lazy, antisocial, impatient, angry, selfish and rapidly losing our humanity and morals, the correct word for 'ethics' IMHO.
Wow. All for that, and agreed.

•••
How many wallets can I host on one Blockchain Domain Name?
If Wallet A disappear, do I need to detach my BDN first before attaching it to the Wallet B? If yes, who’s the ghostbuster/ supporter to help me?

Regards

No, if you lost it then your dbn is gone.
You won’t lost it if you keep your seeds safe in that case you can copy several of your seeds in your physical vaults.

Last edited:
•••
One should be aware is that NFT market has been emerging to become a new trend in worldwide interest users and that will attract new users’ attention on crypto domains since they are all listed together on it, .com would never be replaced due to the legacy reasons but there is a much possibility of being diminished time by time and along with more utilities coming out of decentralized webs, like they said a lot of new gens bought btc not because of money but following up the trend.

•••
For example there are apps called RelayX and Moneybutton developed on BitcoinSV chain, they invented such things called Paymail ( an identity of your wallet and can do many things on related apps) in the form of like “[email protected]” and to me it has no difference than crypto domains but just a different form they like to use it although .crypto or paymails tend to make them familiar to you.
And I am just talking about one app not even a main chain.

Last edited:
•••
Domains are companies addresses on the web so they will never be obselete unless the web becomes obsolete.

The only tech that was supposed to replace domains was Mobile Apps but that never happened and will never happen because mobile Apps are not universal as websites (ex: run on every possible device).

•••
If it was ever replaced, it will be by some BlockChain technology

•••
[The cost of mining is shared by everybody "interested" in bitcoin / coin].

The cost of mining is shared by everybody. Full stop. The environmental consequences are horrific.

•••
The cost of mining is shared by everybody. Full stop. The environmental consequences are horrific.

Not only it pollute the environment but most of these coins are being used by money launderers, killers and dark web hitmans, easy way to convert black money to white, The real purpose of satoshi and blockchain is already killed by greedy exchanges by giving hope to investors for more returns. In fact these mining of coins is doing more damage to financial and environment as compared to its use as currencies.

Come back to question again , only region where domains will be replaced in future is known as Black Hole :-P

•••
Hmm, tricky. Not sure if it would be replaced, businesses need names...maybe the way names are sold could change, ending the business of brokers, but still don't think so

Last edited:
•••
reminds me of the lifetime tires they invented, the industry does not let it be, that is why. :)

•••
reminds me of the lifetime tires they invented, the industry does not let it be, that is why. :)

Hi

industry blockage, delaying or tech silencing, is a possibility
as it happened before with gm's ev1

imo...

•••
•••
Domain names are here for a very long time

•••
Blockchain domains. Distributed web. Still need names but with a distributed system nobody has control, so for instance Google won't be able to tell us which sites are popular, GoDaddy won't be able to block domain names even with a court order.

By coincidence I've been checking out some of this stuff this evening. The potential is simply mind blowing. I've just bought a domain name with no renewal fees, ever, and nobody can relinquish it or take it away from me unless I decide they can have it.

Now that is true ownership

•••
I do not think there will be a technology that will replace domain names
  • If you have the Internet, you need a domain name
  • Just like now there are apps, but still can not completely replace the domain name

•••
Hello Guys

What Technology Will Replace Domain Names ?
I Googled This Question But I Can't See Any Potential Technology Will Replace It In Near Future Maybe We Can Say That's Impossible Before 20-30 Years From Now .

Hope To hear Your Thoughts

My Regards
There are several techs.

1. Voice: Your phones already do this plus Alexa. Just say what you are looking for and an AI will find whatever you are looking for all based on what you say no need to type or think of a url.
2. Brain waves. Just think of the "content" you are looking for online and get the data from a entire website downloaded to your brain. A domain would not be needed.
or.
It's been said that the human brain as it is only really utilizes 5% at best of it's space and if humans actually got to 100%. well then a human could get an "update" of the entire internet daily. All the content of the internet can sit in your 100% brain capacity. no need for domains then.
3. Ai would only give websites we ask for not for straight to our brains.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back