NameSilo

What should Godaddy change its name to!

Located in Reviews started by oldtimer, Feb 14, 2020 at 11:53 AM.

Replies:
Views:

1. JB Lions

JB Lions Top Contributor VIP

Just for kicks.

define:daddy - the oldest, best, or biggest example of something.

They changed up the name a bit. It went from Go Daddy to GoDaddy, one word.

A daddy can have both female and male children.

https://www.mamma.com/

But seriously, the name has nothing to do with empowering people from owning domain names and websites. Nothing. How about with your next post, link to an actual woman having an issue with the name. I can't recall that ever coming up from years of reading this forum and domain blogs. And you're completely disregarding everything else mentioned and just focused on the name and nothing else.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020 at 12:03 AM
    The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. MadAboutDomains

MadAboutDomains Top Contributor VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

It could be interpreted "God Addy" (Addy meaning address). The exact same letters and a great reinterpretation for an existing brand.

Or is this a whole different kettle of fish? (No offence to any non aquatic life out there) :bag:

3. oldtimer

oldtimer Do some good for humanity and the environment VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

It shouldn't be that hard to understand what I am trying to say here,

The word Daddy although might be okay in certain context but in the case of GoDaddy it needs to be changed with something that is more inclusive that represents the idea of empowerment through owning domain names and websites for All People.

IMO

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020 at 12:06 AM
  4. JB Lions

Yeah, I kind of joked about that before:

5. Internet.Domains

Internet.Domains Top Contributor VIP

What about moving the conversation from sexism to racism. I am about to order take out from Mama Rita's Mexican Restaurant. Is it fair to call a restaurant that serves Mexican food as being unfair? Oh, my, it's also named Mama Ritas....Is there offense with identifying with any thing that separates our race, sex, age, etc.?

6. JB Lions

It doesn't need to be changed, it works fine. Maybe your thinking is what needs changing. Who made you the spokesmen for all people? As a man, you know that women are offended or disadvantaged by this, based on what?

https://www.rewindandcapture.com/why-is-it-called-godaddy/

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020 at 12:11 AM
  7. MadAboutDomains

MadAboutDomains Top Contributor VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

Sorry I didn't see that before, either it was my interpretation or I read it and it entered my subconscious.

Either way, I think it could really solve the (albeit non-existent) problem.

8. NameDeck

NameDeck SaveDotOrg.org VIP

Spot on! To add some (personal) context, I've kinda been the stay at home dad for a couple of years, running my business outside the office hours and at night giving my wife the opportunity to persuade her calling as a teacher and to take on another study while taking care of our kid.

Honestly, when she (my daughter) has to be put to bed she literally says go go go! Daddy! (But in Dutch, I may add ) What else could you wish for as a dad?

Yet, whenever she wakes up from a nap or after a stroll, walking the dog, she's asking about mommy.

Women are a perculiar species :) they're strong and we can learn from each other and respect our differences.

So no, I don't take offense to the GoDaddy brand :)

9. johnn

johnn Top Contributor VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

1. It's not your company
    2. Nothing you can do about it
    3. Why waste so much time ???

10. Internet.Domains

Nothing. That's a absolutely beautiful.

11. oldtimer

Well racism probably needs its own thread,

IMO

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020 at 12:15 AM
  12. Bernard Wright

Bernard Wright Established Member

How is GoDaddy empowering only to some, specifically? You have the attention of many here. Please provide a thorough and thoughtful response. If you do so sufficiently, and effectively, you will achieve what you set out to achieve with this thread. You've received some pushback. Now is your opportunity to explain why you are right and we are not. Or, I'll speak for myself only. I think you're wrong. GoDaddy is not an offensive name. Please explain why it is, in detail.

13. Bernard Wright

Actually, those are two separate things. Someone can be empowered by taking offense by something. So, let's just stick to the empowerment issue and leave the "offensive" part out. How is GD not empowering to some?

14. frank-germany

frank-germany domainer since 2001 / musician VIP

your disappointment should now vanish
    as the cleaning is done

all that is left is your wisdom
    and experience

and free speech has won again

and really GoDaddy is a strange name
    I want them to change, too

I have avoided them for so long
    and now I know why

deep within myself
    I knew it was the name that always annoyed me

thank you for finally exposing it to daylight

15. oldtimer

Haven't you read any of my posts, I am not going to keep repeating myself over and over.

For the last time:

The word Daddy might be okay in certain context same as with the word Mommy, but when you combine it with the word Go which is supposed to be a motivational and call to action word then it leaves a big portion of the population out when it comes to empowering people through owning domain names and websites. It needs to be changed to something like this (just using this as an example):

GoPeople

So that it will be inclusive of all who are meant to be empowered in this new era through digital presence and representation.

IMO

16. Bernard Wright

17. oldtimer

It doesn't matter whom you personally think it speaks to, all I know is that it's not inclusive and it doesn't speak to All the People who are supposed to be empowered through owning domain names and websites.

IMO

18. Ryan217

Ryan217 NameBlitz Gold Account

You cant have it both ways. If it dosent matter who we think it speaks to thrn it dosent matter who you think it dosent speak too as well. Any other way would be a double standard.

19. oldtimer

So why leave any doubts, change to a name that we know for sure is inclusive of all people when it comes to this new era of empowerment.

IMO

20. johnn

johnn Top Contributor VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

Have you ever thought that Godaddy may sue you (for publicity) because you humiliate their name?

21. Ryan217

Ryan217 NameBlitz Gold Account

I have no doubts. It seems only you do. And I highly doubt that will convince them to change their name.

22. oldtimer

Anyways lets get back to the original topic of this thread,

Does anyone have any positive and constructive suggestions as to what a suitable name would be for GoDaddy to switch to that would be politically correct and inclusive of all people when it comes to this new era of empowerment.

23. Internet.Domains

GoDaddy. Its politically correct and non offensive. Stick with that.

24. Bernard Wright

I'm not proposing you comment on who I believe GD speaks to. What is relevant here is who you think it speaks.to. Your claim is that it doesn't speak to everyone, so my question is, among everyone, who do you think it speaks to? ...and who doesn't it speak to, if you'd care to clarify.

25. Bernard Wright

Here I am again, mixing up my words. Specifically, who does the brand empower, and who does it not empower? This is what you will first need to explain if you are to convince anyone here that the problem you propose needs to be solved even exists.

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!
  1. NamePros uses cookies and similar technologies. By using this site, you are agreeing to our privacy policy, terms, and use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice