IT.COM

What registrars provide free WHOIS privacy?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I've typically used GoDaddy, but find their WHOIS privacy policy really obnoxious: they essentially give it to you free for the first year, and then charge you $20 / yr thereafter (and really annoyingly make you 'cancel' via the DomainsByProxy interface or else it will auto-renew your privacy when you renew the DN).

Are there a lot of registrars offer TRULY free privacy (aka won't extort you in future years)...i saw internetbs.net mentioned in a dif thread...any others?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
internet.bs
NameSilo

Name.com - privacy is free with coupon code PRIVACYPLEASE, and it works for renewals, too.

•••
1&1 provides Free Whois Privacy. If you read reviews here and other forums I wouldn't buy domains with them though.

Last edited:
•••
A lot of web hosts are provising it now. I transferred all of my domains to coversine.com, few months ago - a lot cheaper than Godaddy.

Godaddy has too many junk free addons, which nobody uses, and charges very high for anything useful features.

Coversine service and support is good so far. I had trouble using their bulk domain transfer first hand, but sending an email to support, promptly resolved the issue. :tu:

•••
Namecheap.com also offers free privacy on all registrations, renewals and transfers.

•••
coversine.com?
You must have something to do with them since your only post so far is promoting them.
I do not see them as cheaper than godaddy at all!

Namecheap offers whois privacy for the first year only.
I really know of no registrar that offers free whois privacy for more than one year.

•••
Two good registrars offering free domain privacy: above[dot]com and namesilo

They also offer free domain protection alerts.

•••
coversine.com?
You must have something to do with them since your only post so far is promoting them.
I do not see them as cheaper than godaddy at all!

Namecheap offers whois privacy for the first year only.
I really know of no registrar that offers free whois privacy for more than one year.

Nope not related. I am new to this forum sure. I stumbled upon this post when researching for better hosts than coversine. I do that every few months.

Coversine provides whois privacy as a free addon to their domains for every year. Its definitely cheaper than godaddy if u consider the cost of domain + privacy in godaddy. $12.99 / yr is a bargain i think considering the free addons that coversine provides.

•••
Cosmotown.com has free whois privacy. Not just the first year. For the whole time your domain is registered with them. Nobody can beat godaddy's 0.99 first year. But cosmotown's prices overall are cheaper because they have multi year plans where you pay less per year.

•••
I'll recommend namesilo.com .You can purchase .com domains around $7.99 if you use their $1 off promotional coupon code "ONEDOLLARLESS" . They offer free WHOIS privacy for lifetime, allows sub accounts,domain push, free DNS management, extra layer of security and more, other registrars like godaddy or namecheap charges extra money for that. They even supports wilddns records, most registrars charge extra money for it or doesn't offer but namesilo offers it for free.

•••
Hello domino66, when you are looking for the Registrars who are providing free WHOIS privacy, please take the domain extensions into consideration.

Let's take generic TLDs for example:
Domain names like .com, .net allow WHOIS privacy, as Registrars of Verisign store the whois information themselves, while for other domain names like .xxx, .org, .tel won't allow WHOIS privacy since the domain whois information is stored directly in the databases of Registries, i.e.ICM Registry, PIR, TelNIC.

•••
•••
Name.com - privacy is free with coupon code PRIVACYPLEASE, and it works for renewals, too.
Thank you for this I had no idea you could get free privacy!

•••
As previously mentioned, Namecheap is one that provides free privacy service for the first year. I usually use the privacy service on the domains with the most traffic (since those are the ones the spammers pay attention to). That way I have multiple subscriptions saved up that I can use.

•••
http://www.cndomainsite.com is based in in China and they are a BIZCN reseller, they offers free whois privacy protection and they ignore all LegitScript complaints.

Last edited:
•••
I know fabulous.com does. That's the main reason why I still deal with them til this day, plus the service is awesome.

•••
Some domain registrars will give you free whois privacy for only the first year just to get you in the door. But, there are a handful of them that provide free whois privacy for as long as you own that domain. Check out this list of domain registrars: http://www.dnselect.com/domain-registrars-free-whois-privacy/

Last edited:
•••
we offer free whois protection too. No strings.

•••
Registerwith.us free privacy included

•••
To those posters who are registering your domains with your Web Host, my advice is DON'T. Keep your registrar and web host separate.

•••
I can personally recommend NameSilo, I have about 75% of my domains with them at the moment.

•••
http://www.layeronline.com still offers free domain whois privacy for as long as you own the domain. They also offer domain typo protection and anycast dns.

•••
Uniregistry.com - This is new registrar in the market and looks quite promising. It also provides free WHOIS.

It is owned by Frank Schilling. One of the most respected Domainer.

Last edited:
•••
I think privacy is also free at Domainmonster, but you can't transfer a domain to theme with privacy enabled - you have to enable the privacy after the transfer.

•••
I recommend Name.com , you just need to use their coupon code "PRIVACYPLEASE" when registering a domain name.

•••
Back