discuss Say "NO" to Privacy (WHOis)

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

satsdifference.com

Love God Love LifeRestricted (85-100%)
Impact
hi

say no to privacy not just the cost
it may be risk/benefit as I lost philippinestockexchange.com to domainsbyproxy from my reg-date 2003 it didn't drop to public when there was no catching/auctions at the times..

what do you think; ??

also the best way to get an offer great for whoever really wants to buy your domain could go to WHOIS

(note the owner of all registrars turned out for me IS the domain registrant email=the second internet)

-have a special day

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Well, I'm of the opposite opinion re Privacy and of course I am only speaking of my interests, not suggesting same is appropriate or suitable for anyone else.

Why do I use, love, privacy?

Far far far less obnoxious, annoying and disruptive phone calls from babbling non-sensible folks trying to sell me their " equal or better " name to my domain name/s;

Far far far less obnoxious, annoying and disruptive phone calls from babbling folks trying to sell me hosting and/or web design packages;

Far far far less obnoxious, annoying and disruptive phone calls from babbling folks trying to buy my name/s at a fraction of a fair market value.

The use of babbling folks is a compromise term by the way, used instead of the slightly more descriptive and familiar street term that would come to mind and occasionally be uttered to the unwanted callers.

My guess is such a multitude of calls and callers to the vast spectrum of domain name buyers gave rise in large part to the salability of Whois privacy.

And eventually free Whois domain name privacy became a feature, a popular feature I'm sure, with one or more domain registrars so it must have a fan base and be popular among some domain name buyers.

There are arguments to be made for and against Whois Privacy and I am firmly ensconced in the
pro-Privacy group.

•••
hi

say no to privacy not just the cost
it may be risk/benefit as I lost philippinestockexchange.com to domainsbyproxy from my reg-date 2003 it didn't drop to public when there was no catching/auctions at the times..

what do you think; ??

also the best way to get an offer great for whoever really wants to buy your domain could go to WHOIS

(note the owner of all registrars turned out for me IS the domain registrant email=the second internet)

-have a special day
It seems that you lost philippinestockexchange.com because you didn't renew it. Who cares who was the new owner? You just let it expire, so you lost it.
Now is a NameFind domain, you can buy it for just $1,499

If you want to get a "great" offer, just put the domain for sale wherever you want.
The most of the people wanting to buy your domain don't know what is the Whois database or how to look at it.

So, I say YES for Privacy Whois.

•••
Title should be

“Say “NO” to Godaddy Privacy...”

9.99 privacy? above most charge for .com!! :dead:

Samer

Last edited:
•••
Say hello to my little friend:

https://anonymize.com/whois-protection/

Free and real. More context here:

https://www.namepros.com/threads/have-you-hugged-your-whois-privacy-provider-today.1162503/

If you don't live in the USA -- the largest market for buying and selling domains - the pros of WHOIS privacy with a US address likely outweighs the cons. That counts double for emerging markets.

WHOIS lookups is among the preferred ways used by domain thieves to get to your domains -- identity theft pretty much goes away with privacy proxy. Your spam volume also drops materially.

If you are a well known person or established legal entity, have a good spam filter, and don't mind everyone being able to correlate to every name you owned, then yes, be out there with your info.

Otherwise, not sure the costs of being "out there" outweigh the benefits.

•••
I've sold several 4-figure domains via whois.

I get some spam and calls .. but not too much that I can't handle (usually go to spam).

One suggestion I gave @Rob Monster a while back that I'll give again now, is to have an account default be "One week privacy for new domains".

Meaning that when you get a new domain, it automatically sets up with privacy for a week or two during the initial big surge of spam ... then after the 1-2 weeks are over, your whois automatically goes public.

Yes I know you can do it manually .. but you all know you're going to forget sometimes .. lol .. I know for sure I will!

ADDED: I'm not sure what the actual optimal time would be .. I just gave 1 week as an example, but it could be 3-4 days or 2-3 weeks.

Last edited:
•••
I've sold several 4-figure domains via whois.

I get some spam and calls .. but not too much that I can't handle (usually go to spam).

One suggestion I gave @Rob Monster a while back that I'll give again now, is to have an account default be "One week privacy for new domains".

Meaning that when you get a new domain, it automatically sets up with privacy for a week or two during the initial big surge of spam ... then after the 1-2 weeks are over, your whois automatically goes public.

Yes I know you can do it manually .. but you all know you're going to forget sometimes .. lol .. I know for sure I will!

ADDED: I'm not sure what the actual optimal time would be .. I just gave 1 week as an example, but it could be 3-4 days or 2-3 weeks.

We default free privacy on all. So we listened.

•••
I’m not too worried about spam emails. It’s the calls that annoy me. I’m thinking of setting up a google voice number, specific for Whois, that auto directs to voicemail.

•••
We default free privacy on all. So we listened.
lol .. I know .. it's awesome Epik offers it free! :) .. But I'm not talking pricing. I'm just saying to have an account setting to "Automatially turn on privacy for __ days after registration".

Just a handy feature so that if you buy in volume you don't have to turn them all on right away, and then remember to go back to turn the privacy off X days later.

For me I don't want privacy on most of my domains .. but I do want it on for the first week because that's usually when our contact info gets scraped.

Yes I know it's pretty simple to do ourselves .. but it's more the fact that I know I'm going to forget to turn privacy off a week later! lol .. So thought it could be a useful feature if you had a setting for it to all be automatic! Not a critical must have feature .. but would be a helpful/useful one! :)

•••
I stopped using privacy because it was too much of a pain for me to take a screenshot everytime I need a domain I just acquired delisted from a marketplace. Now its simple because they can see in WHOIS that I own it without any work from me other than to email them.

I use G Suite now for email so I got good spam filtering there. I use a Google Voice number set to Do Not Disturb so all calls go to voicemail. And I got a PO Box for my business I use so I don't have my personal address out there.

Last edited:
•••
I prefer to hide my personal details. I believe having the domain on the most popular marketplaces AND having the DNS of the domain redirect to a sales lander will cover most corners. Also, Domain Tools is pretty popular for whois lookups and it will show the domain for sale when you do a lookup with a direct link to the sales page. If someone is really interested in the domain, I don't believe having the whois hidden will hinder any inquiries or sales.

•••
I'm in EU and even though I register domains as a company, some registrars force privacy on me because of GDRP. An example mail form namesilo:

"Due to GDPR compliance requirements, we have added WHOIS privacy automatically to the following domain since it uses at least one WHOIS contact from the EU/EEA who has not opted-in to our privacy policy"

•••
I actually doesn't do anything all your information is already sold.

•••
I actually doesn't do anything all your information is already sold.

Basically true. My business name and address (even my home address) is on a publically accessible state database of businesses. So oh well, I'll take the convenience of leaving WHOIS public so I dont need to take a screenshot of a domain in my registrar control panel each time it need it delisted.

•••
Basically true. My business name and address (even my home address) is on a publically accessible state database of businesses. So oh well, I'll take the convenience of leaving WHOIS public so I dont need to take a screenshot of a domain in my registrar control panel each time it need it delisted.
Every time the phone rings and you answer it and nobody there your number is on sold again as an "confirmed active number".

•••
Say hello to my little friend:

https://anonymize.com/whois-protection/

Free and real. More context here:

https://www.namepros.com/threads/have-you-hugged-your-whois-privacy-provider-today.1162503/

If you don't live in the USA -- the largest market for buying and selling domains - the pros of WHOIS privacy with a US address likely outweighs the cons. That counts double for emerging markets.

WHOIS lookups is among the preferred ways used by domain thieves to get to your domains -- identity theft pretty much goes away with privacy proxy. Your spam volume also drops materially.

If you are a well known person or established legal entity, have a good spam filter, and don't mind everyone being able to correlate to every name you owned, then yes, be out there with your info.

Otherwise, not sure the costs of being "out there" outweigh the benefits.

@Rob Monster
you are just promoting your product/service again

I don't use whois on nearly 90% of my names for about 20 years by now

I absolutely can handle the calls
additionally, I have a caller - ignore function on my iPhone

I have literally sold hundreds of names over the years
and many many on the phone
as they used to call me
before the legal situation changed and
even if you want to allow it
it's nearly impossible to find the owner of a domain name thee days
for a normal guy.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back