IT.COM

discuss What is the next big extension after .COM?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Arpit131

Top Member
Impact
What do you think is the next big extension after .COM?
What do you prefer, in case, lets say that the .COM is not available?
Is it .NET, .Org, your ccTLD, some particular ccTLD, or .CO, .IO considering some startup would buy it ?

What is your next preference. Everybody might have a different view!
Please share your views and why?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
biz is also an alternative. I would go for .biz instead of a .net because I want to establish the fact that mine is more of doing business and not a network-related venture. A .biz is also a good alternative for corporate site.
(y)

•••
Anyone here think the same as me that .com is always the most credible and powerful domain? even you have .org, .co, .net, 50% of them related to spam.
.uk is a different story then, and I think it's as nice as .com. If the domain is taken, might have alternatives such as .sch.uk, .plc.uk, ac.uk and so on

No question .com is the King. Often we remember the domain name, not its extension. By default we add a .com to it and search. It happened with me and I reached a .com parking page; the actual extension was .net.

If you don't have .com I think .org stands out.

Off late, I can see many websites with .io and .co extensions. I think they are on an upward trend.

I just checked Namebio to see how many sales made for each of these non-dot-com domains in 2017 as of today in the after market and listed below some of them.

.net - 3425
.org - 3309
.co - 711
.io - 1119
.uk - 4
.co.uk - 173
.cc - 412

As I have seen suggestions in this thread a different dot com domain name or a brand able one would be ideal.

•••
cctlds are the best options after .com . If you are in Germany, UK , its already clear those cctlds have great aftermarket value as well. If you want to own a Category Killer, its a great idea to get the country specific tlds that already have great brand recognition. Why invent the wheel !!!

Same goes for India, numerous large and mid size companies are using .IN or .CO.IN in their every day business. For over 12 years, these extensions have been in use. Again why invent the wheel, in India, your best options are .in and .co.in (get the .com as well if its available) . Acquire them all if you can in your category. Everything else is going to be cute, at best..

Last edited:
•••
•••
It depends. .org for non profit , .io for tech start up, .co as its first two letters are similar to com, .net also for tech. And .co.uk for Uk, .in for India.

But randomly if .com is king then .org is Queen.

•••
I'd say in many EU countries their ccTLD is actually better than .com
In fact .com is reged after the ccTLD variant is taken. After that .net and than .org

•••
If you are in Europe and most other countries , cctlds are going to be your first option, then .com
Here is what CENTR published

https://www.namepros.com/threads/cc...gacy-tlds-39-ngtlds-2-4.1054495/#post-6475076

For investment purpose, the next best option after .com , could be the next big cctld - could be .cn , .in , .de , .co.uk and others.

.com will be the single largest held TLD for the forseable future, the only cctlds that could even come close will be .CN or .IN ( in terms of registration) , but that could be a long while

Last edited:
•••
•••
What do you think is the next big extension after .COM?
What do you prefer, in case, lets say that the .COM is not available?
Is it .NET, .Org, your ccTLD, some particular ccTLD, or .CO, .IO considering some startup would buy it ?

What is your next preference. Everybody might have a different view!
Please share your views and why?

You mean today?.....a little tongue and cheek here, but I'll be doing my best to move the .today extension up the ladder. There are plenty of reasons .today is a good extension, but I'll have to share them with you tomorrow....who's on first?

Bulloney:xf.grin:

•••
I am sorry to be difficult, @lumia21. but the evidence does not support your statement re spam and TLDs.

According to the experts at Spamhaus, here are the scores for the TLDs you mention (lower is better):
.co 0.33
.org 0.63
.net 0.96
.com 1.46
In other words .com is significantly worse than .co.

The exact numbers change as they update regularly, but the above are as of right now. You can look up any TLD here (as well as the worst 10 table). Just choose the TLD in the pull down dialog box on the left near the top.
https://www.spamhaus.org/statistics/tlds/

Some of the new gTLDs have really got on top of this problem well, and the .xyz score is now just 0.41. Of course some have not (.study at 7.74 and .party at 6.57 are the worse as I write this).

Bob

•••
What is the next big extension after .COM?
.dog, cuz chinese loves .dog gtld :0

•••
I really love .io , the only issue with it that it is 4X the price of .com. Which can be annoying for both holding them in a portfolio or for smaller startups due to that cost.
On the other hand, the fact that so many cool domains are still available is great!

•••
I really love .io , the only issue with it that it is 4X the price of .com. Which can be annoying for both holding them in a portfolio or for smaller startups due to that cost.
On the other hand, the fact that so many cool domains are still available is great!

You probably see in .io the same sort of thing I see in .today. The main difference I see now is, while the price of .io is 4x the price of .com, .today is 1/4 the price of a .com.

Good Luck and Happy New Year!

•••
@MetBob hey, just back from long holiday and just have some time now to reply. I see your point and statistics on Spamhaus seems true to me. But I still don't get why .com has lower score even than .net? I know depending on the domain as well, but I thought normally .com has less spam related issues...
Look forward to your advice, thanks!! :xf.smile:

•••
I think a lot of people THINK that .com has less spam related issues (not sure why, don't they look at their inbox lol), but if you look at carefully done statistics many of the new gTLDs are better than .com, and the majority (not all) country code TLDs are better.

Spamhaus essentially collect all reports of spam, and compare for the TLD to the number of websites that are active in that TLD (so unused domains registered by being held don't count) to get their percentage and ultimately score. They have been doing it for 18 years, have 30 something investigators, work with law enforcement, and more than 3 billion email accounts are protected with their blocklists. So in my eyes at least they have a lot of credibility.

It's important not to look only at the current "worst 10" Spamhaus list (with over 1200 new gTLDs this will almost always be only new gTLDs), but actually look at the scores.

.com is easy to get (huge number of registrars), relatively inexpensive, and easily confused with major businesses, so it is not surprising that many spammers choose to use it (the vast majority in total numbers, but even proportionately a large number).

Welcome back to NamePros @lumia21 and thanks for invitation to comment.

Bob

•••
Me personally depends on what industry the business is in, then I would make my decision based on that e.g .net online business, .org organization and so on.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back