Dynadot

discuss What is the longest amount of time you have held a domain name before it sold?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Pay.My.id

Top Member
Impact
I think this is my personal question to all NP members, especially when you have been in domaining more than 5, 7 , 10 years or more. Its would be very interesting if you want to share your hard lessons , so I and other members could learn more from your journey.

Your Valuable Sharing Is Everything

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Hi

sold a domain this year, acquired in 2006
it earned ppc income from first day I got it, and was still earning a few $, when it sold.

however, the reason for holding that domain for 14 years, was because of it's earnings and it's actual name.

for another domain held same duration or longer, which may not earn any parking revenue,
the reason for it holding may be different.

also, each domainers method/reason for acquiring a domain and why and when they decide to sell it,
will have effect on hold times for that name, for that individual.

for instance:
one who buys future forward names and holds them for years until it's subject, becomes mainstream.
or those who bought 3 char com and 4N.com in 2006 for almost reg fee then and now they are in demand.

for some domains, you just have to wait and let their value mature.... like a savings bond. :)

imo...

•••
I've got a couple names I bought 20-23 years ago, still waiting for new homes. Or for me to do something with.

•••
Hi

sold a domain this year, acquired in 2006
it earned ppc income from first day I got it, and was still earning a few $, when it sold.

however, the reason for holding that domain for 14 years, was because of it's earnings and it's actual name.

for another domain held same duration or longer, which may not earn any parking revenue,
the reason for it holding may be different.

also, each domainers method/reason for acquiring a domain and why and when they decide to sell it,
will have effect on hold times for that name, for that individual.

for instance:
one who buys future forward names and holds them for years until it's subject, becomes mainstream.
or those who bought 3 char com and 4N.com in 2006 for almost reg fee then and now they are in demand.

for some domains, you just have to wait and let their value mature.... like a savings bond. :)

imo...

I am amazed on your patience in waiting until the domain is sold. Thank you for sharing your imporant knowledge @biggie

•••
I've got a couple names I bought 20-23 years ago, still waiting for new homes. Or for me to do something with.

Thank you @hawkeye . Your reason for waiting is a strength that not all domainers possess. That's why you might be more successful

•••
Not 100% sure but around 10 years.

In coming years, the time period will increase because the duration of being in this business will get longer and at the same time holding period of domains as well.

•••
I have deleted hundreds of domains before sold always culling improving. Have had some 5 years that sold. Have 20+ year domains that haven't sold but not exactly marketed either.

Last edited:
•••
•••
Not 100% sure but around 10 years.

In coming years, the time period will increase because the duration of being in this business will get longer and at the same time holding period of domains as well.

Thank @AbdulBasit.com , your belief in waiting best result is an invaluable knowledge in domaining.

•••
I have deleted hundreds of domains before sold always culling improving. Have had some 5 years that sold. Have 20+ year domains that haven't sold but not exactly marketed either.

Thank @lock for sharing your experience , It's amazing to keep waiting 5 years for the desired results

•••
•••
Thank @topdom ... Very amazed by your willingness to wait until 15 years

Thanks, and I kept my .com, .net, 's for 2 years max, and there are a few exceptions, and they were not bought for selling purposes (bought for seo or email purposes, not for development either). Those I kept for long are .biz, .info, some sold for 5 figures, but also I was stupid to renew stupid unsellable ones for more than 10 years... Probably I will renew some .com's forever. My top .com sale is 3K, kept for about 6 months. Godaddy's fault: It should have been 4K, they couldn't get the money from the buyer.

•••
In domain investing, sometimes it takes a pandemic to sell a domain. Almost 13 years for this domain.

But seriously, it takes patience. Sometimes you can get a quick one, but most of the time it will take anywhere between 1-20 years if you are holding out for the right price. And commonly, price isn't even the main factor. Most of the domains I sell have had 0 offers for 5+ years, then sell at full BIN price.

Most critically, we should all pay attention to our numbers (see chart below). At a 1% sell through rate, 81.79% of your domains wont' be sold in 20 years! At a 2% sell through rate, 66.76% of your domains won't sell in 20 years.

Until you have the quality at a consistent level, I'm a a fan of dropping your bottom 5-10% and using that savings to buy better domains every year. If you apply the Pareto Principle to your domains, you'll find that you see many truths apply to this 80/20 rule. 20% of your domains will provide 80% of your revenue. If you are increasing the quality of your domains, or even keeping the same quality and growing the quantity of domains, you'll find that this 20% will yield more and more revenue.

upload_2020-4-8_11-51-44.png

upload_2020-4-8_11-52-10.png

upload_2020-4-8_12-31-5.png

Last edited:
•••
Really appreciate your great attitude to consistent in all situation . By the way ... congrat's for all your awesome sales @NameBuyer.com

Last edited:
•••
My last 2 sales one was 8 years old and the other was 5 years old. I might have sold older but these 2 are fresh in my head as the last 2 I've sold. There really is no time limit to "quality" domains. It's not that they never received offers it's that they weren't the "right" offers. Domain is worth what the "right" buyer will pay for it which might not be the first person to knock on the door. Okay to sit on quality for years till the stars align, low quality domains not so much.

Domainer A

Buys domain $8.67
Sells in 1 year $500.00
Jumps up and down cause they just made $491.33 profit on an initial $8.67 investment

Domainer B

Buys domain $8.67
Sells in 8 years $16,000
Jumps up and down cause they just made $15,930.64 profit on an initial $8.67 investment

Quality of the domain, number of potential end users, etc... dictates how long you should hold out. Not needing the domain sale income, renewal fees only being $8 helps as well in exhibiting patience to hold for the optimal end user as ya gotta capitalize on the gems as replacement costs are much higher today than the old days. Sell the gems too cheap and eventually ya sell yourself outta business.

Last edited:
•••
Out of the domains I sold this year, the oldest was in my hands since 2007.

Last edited:
•••
My last 2 sales one was 8 years old and the other was 5 years old. I might have sold older but these 2 are fresh in my head as the last 2 I've sold. There really is no time limit to "quality" domains. It's not that they never received offers it's that they weren't the "right" offers. Domain is worth what the "right" buyer will pay for it which might not be the first person to knock on the door. Okay to sit on quality for years till the stars align, low quality domains not so much.

Domainer A

Buys domain $8.67
Sells in 1 year $500.00
Jumps up and down cause they just made $491.33 profit on an initial $8.67 investment

Domainer B

Buys domain $8.67
Sells in 8 years $16,000
Jumps up and down cause they just made $15,930.64 profit on an initial $8.67 investment

Quality of the domain, number of potential end users, etc... dictates how long you should hold out. Not needing the domain sale income, renewal fees only being $8 helps as well in exhibiting patience to hold for the optimal end user as ya gotta capitalize on the gems as replacement costs are much higher today than the old days. Sell the gems too cheap and eventually ya sell yourself outta business.

By the way congrat's on your sales last time ago @SpareDomains, and thank for sharing important value in this thread. I learn on your persistence attitude

•••
Out of the domains I sold this year, the oldest was in my hands since 2007.

Congrat's and thank you @pb on your amazing sales and your patience to hold domain until sold

•••
At a 1% sell through rate, 81.79% of your domains wont' be sold in 20 years! At a 2% sell through rate, 66.76% of your domains won't sell in 20 years.

Hi
that theory all depends on
how many domains you own and the price or margin of profit you're looking to sell for.

others factors could include whether it's a one man/woman show or a team effort,
for the long term investor, is 20 years a factor, if/ when you can pass domains to family?

and if it's short termer, who gets in and gets out...does it apply?

If you apply the Pareto Principle to your domains, you'll find that you see many truths apply to this 80/20 rule. 20% of your domains will provide 80% of your revenue.

Hi
the thing about those rules are... are we talking domain sales or domain monetization or both?

also, again it depends on how many domains you have, and the amount you can sell each one or bulk price them for.

additionally, in such an equation, "revenue is not equal to profit',
and since expenses for maintaining the portfolio is not factored...
then 20% of your domain sales may not be enough, it all depends.

I say,
if you can just make enough to cover renewals for those that didn't sell, then you're on right track
if not, check your ticket

imo...

•••
And commonly, price isn't even the main factor. Most of the domains I sell have had 0 offers for 5+ years, then sell at full BIN price.

About 20 years hold time for some before sale. Some Hand regs in 98, 99 and 2000 were quite valuable. And many, many sales are as namebuyer says above. No “interest” (ie offers), then boom. Sold, full price. Of course, other times I have sold names through Afternic that were expired! (But caution: sometimes this leads to a false pride in picking names that can lead to holding many names that should have been dropped at the first renewal notice!)

Last edited:
•••
I am new here. Maybe 6month
I sell 2 domain 30$

•••
longest: 4yrs
shortest: 1hour

ty

•••
•••
I have many of mine registered until 2025 and one until 2028 (superannuation.com)

So I think a couple years and with a little outbound you can make enough to cover those kinds of registrations

•••
About 20 years hold time for some before sale. Some Hand regs in 98, 99 and 2000 were quite valuable. And many, many sales are as namebuyer says above. No “interest” (ie offers), then boom. Sold, full price. Of course, other times I have sold names through Afternic that were expired! (But caution: sometimes this leads to a false pride in picking names that can lead to holding many names that should have been dropped at the first renewal notice!)

I am personally amazed with your patience before the sale coming in unpredicable time.

•••
Back